• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

August Update discussion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slavik

XenForo moderator
Staff member
#1
This thread will be used to discuss the recent XenForo announcement.

We understand people may have questions relating to the announcement, and may wish to air their views, thoughts, concerns or support, you may do so in this thread.

Please take note of the following.
  • Keep it calm, keep it respectful, keep it polite.
  • Any attacks, no matter how small, will result in the entire post being deleted without warning. For the avoidance of doubt this will include ones made in jest, as in such topics these can often be misconstrued in the wrong way.
  • Please feel free to ask questions, we will collate them, and see what we can get answered for you. However as per the announcement please be mindful of the fact that the answers may not be possible to provide at this point for a variety of reasons.
 

erich37

Well-known member
#3
Many of us do have the patience and do understand the situation. You guys just take the time you need to sort things out.
We do have the time to wait for XF 1.2 until whenever you are ready with it.

Just wondering if it would be possible for you guys to release the RM as it stands per its current version?
So some add-on developers could play with it and maybe develop it further.

Thanks again!
 

Naatan

Well-known member
#4
I much appreciate that they took the time to make an announcement, but am somewhat disappointed that it doesn't actually answer any questions. While I understand that discretion is warranted given their legal situation I can't help but feel that they should be able to give us a more informative status update.
 

Slavik

XenForo moderator
Staff member
#5
Q: Whilst we wait for further news (and I appreciate that may be quite some time) can we be assured that security patches will be made available if any issues arise with the current XF releases?

Thanks,
Shaun :D
I can answer this right off as I had someone ask me about it the other day so already asked :). Yes. If a security issue arrises it will be patched and made available.
 

Slavik

XenForo moderator
Staff member
#7
I much appreciate that they took the time to make an announcement, but am somewhat disappointed that it doesn't actually answer any questions. While I understand that discretion is warranted given their legal situation I can't help but feel that they should be able to give us a more informative status update.
Thats what this thread is for. Ask your questions, we will try to get them answered.
 

Naatan

Well-known member
#9
Thats what this thread is for. Ask your questions, we will try to get them answered.
Very well, I would love to hear a rebuttal to all the doom and gloom going on at adminextra. A lot of supposed "insiders" (including Brogan) seem to be hinting that XenForo is already dead and it's been mentioned Mike has another job.

I don't care much for gossip so I'm taking all of this with a pinch of salt, never the less I would appreciate to hear KAM's thoughts on this.

Additionally it would be helpful if someone from the official camp could actually tell us what variables will determine the fate of XenForo, as from all I've read (both official and unofficial) I get the impression the lawsuit is not the only problem being faced.

I ask this not as a customer but as a developer not wanting to see months of work go down the drain. Being that KAM are facing a similar situation I would think they can appreciate my sentiment.
 

craigiri

Well-known member
#11
I was thinking about all this the other day - and my personal conclusion was "give it a year". I think that is a reasonable amount of time to wait in my case. As to "waiting for what?", it's not much, just that I tend to plan out very long term. If XF, for some reason, does not continue on as a valid project.....at that one year point from now, I will probably make a decision to move to another system within 1-3 years after that.

That may seem slow to many, but I only recently moved from my 2003-vintage forum software, even though it was promised to be updated from 2009-2012 and was not! Many of us tend to focus more on our communities and the glass being 1/2 full as opposed to the other way around.

Sure, this whole thing is drama that most of us would rather not have. But that's life. There are more than 2 options (go or no-go) which could end up being the way forward for XF. In fact, in terms of percentage I would give "no go" a smaller chance. Even if XF didn't prevail in all the court stuff, that would be like saying Android was not going on because Samsung lost a round.

On the biz end, I really am surprised that no decent-sized investor group has come forward to partner with XF and provide the capital and other needs to easily make it through. It would seem a given that alliances would be formed - the product has a LOT of potential and is already proven. Heck, I'd invest!
 

Cory Booth

Well-known member
#15
Very well, I would love to hear a rebuttal to all the doom and gloom going on at adminextra. A lot of supposed "insiders" (including Brogan) seem to be hinting that XenForo is already dead and it's been mentioned Mike has another job.

I don't care much for gossip so I'm taking all of this with a pinch of salt, never the less I would appreciate to hear KAM's thoughts on this.

Additionally it would be helpful if someone from the official camp could actually tell us what variables will determine the fate of XenForo, as from all I've read (both official and unofficial) I get the impression the lawsuit is not the only problem being faced.

I ask this not as a customer but as a developer not wanting to see months of work go down the drain. Being that KAM are facing a similar situation I would think they can appreciate my sentiment.

This is my dilema... After being told "Development is ongoing..." and not seeing much, I started to do my own research - because, in the end, I have folks to answer to and it MY reputation on the line, not KAM.
If I tell my site owners I need $40 for annual support agreements - only to find out: 1. no work is really being done and 2. the software is already known to be dead - then I feel like I'm getting ripped off.

So while the announcement was much needed and six months late... The postings over the past six months tend to hint/lead that there is a more final decision that has already been made on the future of this product.

So...

I would like to hear that Mike is still a developer here.

I would like to hear that no "final" decision on the future of Xenforo has been made by anyone and it really is simply waiting for the results of the court case.
And when I say "final" I mean, there is no settlement worked out.
 

craigiri

Well-known member
#20
Will access to updates be extended past the time our renewals expire for the period of time where development has ceased?
These are realistic questions. It is somewhat unfair to sell continuing subscriptions if nothing is coming.

Of course, one does not have to renew and can still use the stuff, right? But, still, it would be only fair to tell folks what they are getting if they shell out a year.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.