Implemented Audio Player for XF media Gallery

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
This would be a useful addition.

I'm sure my members on zoochat.com would make great use of an "audio gallery" for uploading audio of bird calls and such.

Further to this - why not allow video (eg. mp4) uploads as well ?

An embedded media player which can handle either audio or video would be great.

This was planned but Chris had postponed it as he wasn't happy with what he had implemented (due to the player being used, I think). I'm hoping that this is still a possibility in the future.

Yeah, difficult to find players that work well across all browsers/platforms and are easily deployed as part of a software product.

I've written my own plugins for vBulletin and XenForo to use JWPlayer to play attached media - but that uses a commercial license.

Audio would be a whole new content type for the most part so that's not really a small suggestion. But you could do this now with BB code media sites as long as the service allows embedding.

An embedded media player which can handle either audio or video would be great.
Video upload and a video player has been a very frequent request (and also a planned one) . That suggestion is located here:
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/xfmg-video-upload.87052/

I've written my own plugins for vBulletin and XenForo to use JWPlayer to play attached media - but that uses a commercial license.
JWPlayer would also work for audio. It supports playlists which is nice.

It's a problem, why on earth there isn't agreement on html5 file format beats me. I use an html5 player on my site but it requires both mp3 and .ogg files.

We were promised ubuquitious and seamless media playback across all browsers with html5 ... I'm taking it we aren't there yet?

Nope. People are afraid of patent enforcement that isn't happening. So one browser with support for H.264 dropped it to encourage support of the alternative. Rather than keeping support until the feared doomsday. It will be many years before it smooths out.

I prefer h.264 for video because everything I have shoots it or plays it. But to do HTML 5 have to also have a webm copy in the server as well. I have nothing but trouble getting webm right for it to play and a lack of plugins in commercial software last time I tried. Audio is a little easier.

Nope. People are afraid of patent enforcement that isn't happening. So one browser with support for H.264 dropped it to encourage support of the alternative. Rather than keeping support until the feared doomsday. It will be many years before it smooths out.
And isn't this one of the things keeping Flash alive? many players seem to rely on a Flash fallback for browsers not supporting the html5 play with mp3.

Audio really should be in the media player. After all audio is a type of media.

And isn't this one of the things keeping Flash alive? many players seem to rely on a Flash fallback for browsers not supporting the html5 play with mp3.

It does hurt the entire scheme. Its great that we have an open source choice but there is no excuse for dropping h.264 support. Especially with so much hardware decoder support on mobile now as well as dash support it just makes sense to support that plus your other choice.

I want flash to die. But flash dying is basically putting us back into the preflash era due to poor decisions. It might not be as bad as real player but you still have to either stream 2 formats or leave an audience without support.

The same suggestion here.
Supporting audio files is what we really needed. Although we have a media site, but if XenForo Media Gallery support audio files, I'm sure my forum's member will prefer to use it instead of our media site.
So, hope to see audio support in next update.

Audio would be a whole new content type for the most part so that's not really a small suggestion.
It seems to me that this could be a small suggestion. If we ignore embeds for a moment because my suggestion is only about audio files. Audio files can already be uploaded to XFMG. FFMPEG can transcode audio. Though that is not even needed if we only accept the most common formats.
It seems to me that all that is needed is an audio player. All browsers have an audio player included. So it seems to me that all that is needed is html code to make the browser display a audio player.
http://blog.michelledinan.com/12/2011/html5-audio/
Am I wrong about this?

Last edited:
We can already allow various audio files to be uploaded by adding the extension to allowed file extensions.
FFMPEG can transcode pretty much all relevant audio files into mp3 just like it is currently transcoding uploaded video files. If it would only convert wma and wav to mp3 then that would probably be enough. My 13 year old big board does not have other audio files so I guess this goes for most sites.
Once the mp3 file is in XFMG, then it would need a simple MP3 player. I think the current HTML5 player can play MP3 already.

Last edited:
Are there ANY plans by xF to add this "feature" to this addon?

TBH, I'm more than a little disappointed with the pace of feature updates in xFMG - the impact for us customers in adding audio support is huge while the actual coding required seems to be minimal considering most of the pieces to support it are already in place.

Top Bottom