Implemented Audio Player for XF media Gallery

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
This suggestion has been ignored by xF for almost a year now (going by staff responses).

And before someone asks if I want to take precious development time away from 2.0, the answer is yes I do.

It will be YEARS before I will be able to use that software.

It seems there is a plan to add it (supporting audio files) after XF 2 (when XFMG will be updated for XF 2)
But to be sure, @Chris D can say if its true or not.

I have a good developer looking into creating an addon for a media player for xf 1.5
It will not be released in the resource manager.

I would love this feature. We use podcasts and audio books a lot in our site. While Video rules, audio plays a special part in being able to listen to content on the road without the need to look at a phone. Our members constantly ask us to produce more audio content and I've been forced to make them youtube videos with pictures but... not really ideal. Many visitors to our site came from audio listings on podcast sites but things like soundcloud and such have their monthly fees when we're already paying for a dedicated server (which I use to stream from URL just fine) BUT if I want to have audio hosts from many different groups, I can't give them all access or train them all. I did use Andys plugin but, as mentioned, I'm having trouble getting the play button to work on all browser types. I've used a fair amount of audio players in the forums and nothing is easy and simple. Everything has a "ya but" somewhere. I know even if you could stream audio in the media gallery, you'd need an image and the proper fields to list said media with itunes and others. This stuff makes it nearly impossible for me to allow talent to upload audio and the system does the rest.

There are major benefits to audio as I said. I totally understand the problem with adding this to the media gallery and with 27 likes, it doesn't seem worth the teams time. What hosts are forgetting is these audio channels can work big to getting people to a site and in the past adding audio brought in over 30% more visitors for me AND the stay on the site longer while they listen which makes a HUGE difference in analytical data justifying ads. There just isn't a "media gallery" what does it all because all the components have different requirements it seems like.

One thing is for sure, fewer people read sites as more and more folks use smartphones and without visual and audio content, competition will gain traction on text only sites.

27 likes here really isn't that little... only a small subset of the customers ever visits this forum, a smaller yet with any regularity, smaller yet reads more than a few suggestions posted here, smaller yet votes... you get the idea. The number of votes isn't necessarily any indicator of a suggestion's worth, just what catches the eye of the people who ever glance at this forum the most. It's really not an efficient way of gauging the interest of the overall user base.

Top Bottom