Audiento is being sold

First Themes Inc, now Audentio :(

They've released some awesome themes too, I hope another great designer carries on the good work.

Hey all,

I put my BIN a bit high because I was more interested in an appraisal to see what we were worth as a company. With the future being unclear at the moment in regards to XenForo, I was curious to see if anyone would be interested. A few people made some significant bids off flippa, but I value my company quite a bit more than what the numbers show. Work of passion or whatever I suppose :P

The fact remains that the market isn't what it used to be, and I have been struggling. As was John and Miko, as well as many other theme designers. I wish this wasn't so.

That said, I have been talking with someone who might be interested in partnering with me to create XenForo plugins and other web solutions including a presence in Wordpress hosting and theme design. If all goes well with him and we can pick up the slack that I've had lately with sales, then I will be good.

Right now, a great deal of my take home comes from XenForo related development. And I can see that a lot of people are skeptical right now as to whether they want to develop with XenForo. If XenForo can turn the ship around, this will be an entirely different story. And don't get me wrong, I'm not pointing the finger. Its just a fact that with the situation we are all in right now I need to weigh my options.

Mike Creuzer
Audentio.com Owner

If Kier and Mike are the perfectionists that I think they are, then they march to the beat of a different drummer. That means they won't let anyone determine their roadmaps and will release stuff when they think it's good and ready. That's why I continue to post here. I think that them going quiet is just a reaction to the lawsuit, the pressure and the danger of competition beating them to the punch or 'borrowing' ideas. So you really shouldn't worry too much about the future of xenforo. After all, it's only two people developing the software. No other employees. And yet they have huge boards like IGN who made the jump.

If Kier and Mike are the perfectionists that I think they are, then they march to the beat of a different drummer. That means they won't let anyone determine their roadmaps and will release stuff when they think it's good and ready. That's why I continue to post here. I think that them going quiet is just a reaction to the lawsuit, the pressure and the danger of competition beating them to the punch or 'borrowing' ideas. So you really shouldn't worry too much about the future of xenforo. After all, it's only two people developing the software. No other employees. And yet they have huge boards like IGN who made the jump.
I completely understand, and getting these large boards over is awesome. That is definitely a good thing. But I have the data from multiple xenforo skin sites that show that sales aren't all too impressive at the moment. Just looking to see how many people are online here is proof as well. Things are going south, and those of us that rely on the success of this product need to make arrangements. Thats all Im doing. I've heard through the grapevine some stuff from various people, and most signs aren't good. Something needs to happen to bring all the developers back in full swing.

Myself and others left other platforms to come here, and some of us need to go back or find something else, at least meanwhile.

So you really shouldn't worry too much about the future of xenforo.
As a business person who relies on a healthy XF for a substantial part of my income, I'd be a fool not to worry about the future of Xenforo given the state of things. IGN will continue on making gobs of money whether XF thrives or not...I, and others like me, won't. Numbers don't lie and none of us can/will continue to do what we do indefinitely when it is not profitable to do so. The fact that we get no reassurance from the developers other than a pithy bone here and there just ads insult to injury. Those are the facts, not speculation or wishful thinking...facts.

@Mike - you know how I feel about you and Audentio...I have no doubts that you will be successful wherever you go or whatever you do, you're too talented not to! ;)

I completely understand, and getting these large boards over is awesome. That is definitely a good thing. But I have the data from multiple xenforo skin sites that show that sales aren't all too impressive at the moment. Just looking to see how many people are online here is proof as well. Things are going south, and those of us that rely on the success of this product need to make arrangements. Thats all Im doing. I've heard through the grapevine some stuff from various people, and most signs aren't good. Something needs to happen to bring all the developers back in full swing.

Myself and others left other platforms to come here, and some of us need to go back or find something else, at least meanwhile.
As a business person who relies on a healthy XF for a substantial part of my income, I'd be a fool not to worry about the future of Xenforo given the state of things. IGN will continue on making gobs of money whether XF thrives or not...I, and others like me, won't. Numbers don't lie and none of us can/will continue to do what we do indefinitely when it is not profitable to do so. The fact that we get no reassurance from the developers other than a pithy bone here and there just ads insult to injury. Those are the facts, not speculation or wishful thinking...facts.
Why not just branch out and work on other forum software for the moment? Like the old saying goes 'Don't keep all your eggs in one basket'.

This way you can still do xenforo stuff but not have to be worried too much about it. It's like a farmer who doesn't grow just one crop but several.

Why not just branch out and work on other forum software for the moment? Like the old saying goes 'Don't keep all your eggs in one basket'.

This way you can still do xenforo stuff but not have to be worried too much about it. It's like a farmer who doesn't grow just one crop but several.
I can only speak for myself, but I left those other platforms because they weren't profitable any longer either (among other reasons) and just picking up and developing for other platforms isn't that easy. It takes time and money...but yeah, I agree 100% with what you're saying and many of us are/will be doing just that. Unfortunately, I think XF loses out for no good reason because when 3rd party developers leave something, they usually don't return.

I think as skin developers, a business should a> Have a diversity of platforms and b> Have custom skin jobs on those platforms as a primary source of revenue and c> Have a certain number of pre-made skins on each of the platforms both as a showcase of your talent and as a recurring source of revenue.

It is highly dangerous as a business to rely on either a> only one platform or b> focus only on pre-made skins.

Thirdly sales channels should be increased as much as possible. You should not just sell on your own website, but use third party platforms like Themeforest and also be an active member on places like eLance and oDesk. If you market yourself well, both as a freelance designer and as a seller of pre-made skins, there is no dearth of jobs available in the market. I do freelance addons / custom work when I have time on elance and I have had a hard time keeping up with demand, so much so that right now my own websites are on hold because I have to finish up the work I have taken. And these are not small numbers, I am talking of jobs each worth more than a thousand dollars.

Bottomline is, if you are talented, willing to work hard and market yourself well, you will not be out of work.

But, overall I do agree with the sentiment that the developers here have treated people who have supported them, the early adopters, third party developers, people who bought many more licenses than they needed etc. with very little respect.

I can only speak for myself, but I left those other platforms because they weren't profitable any longer either (among other reasons) and just picking up and developing for other platforms isn't that easy. It takes time and money...but yeah, I agree 100% with what you're saying and many of us are/will be doing just that. Unfortunately, I think XF loses out for no good reason because when 3rd party developers leave something, they usually don't return.
I understand but I think it would be a good idea to do it anyway. If you designed a skin that I liked and used but then I switch over to another forum software, I would buy that skin for the other forum software if you made it. For instance, my favorite vBulletin 4 theme was Grayfolio. When I switched over to xenForo, I had asked the developer to create Grayfolio for xenforo but he ignored me. If he created it I would've bought it. One of my most downloaded themes is a theme that I created for both xenforo and vbulletin that are pretty much the same. For example, Facebook for vB4 and Facebook for xF. By developing the same sorta theme for multiple forum softwares that's another way to increase revenue because people are always switching over to other forum softwares.

I do not see him ever reaching the asking price.

It's an odd thing to sell (or buy) since it is the seller's programming skills that are the heart of the business, 60% of the business. The other 40% is the current products but the developers and support maintenance expertise are going away also. Another company with skill set to maintain the current products and who is in the same business might buy it as a way to gain established marketing name but what they would pay for it would be hard to figure out.

It is a way to establish market value if one person in the company was buying out another

Honestly, I would hate to see the site being sold. Audentio has great designers and developers already. I would just hate for some guy to come and buy it and mess it all up.

I moved to XenForo about 3-4 months ago. I don't require any skin designers or third party mods as of yet and I don't see myself needing them in the future either.

To say XenForo is in decline due lack of third party sales is quite misleading. If anything, I think it's a major benefit to XenForo that I don't need to rely on third party developers.

I think it's also faulty logic to judge a product by how many users are online on the company support forums. The simple fact is, I don't need to come on here everyday like I did on alternative forum software support forums. There's less minor software updates, less issues, less bug reporting and more working on my own forum. I would assume it's the same for many others too.

I moved to XenForo about 3-4 months ago. I don't require any skin designers or third party mods as of yet and I don't see myself needing them in the future either. To say XenForo is in decline due lack of third party sales is quite misleading.

Your situation may not be typical. In my case, I'm not a coder in any way so setting up a XenForo forum required several add-ons, setup and custom work. And will in future. In XenForo's case, I spent more on Add-on products, setup and custom work than on XenForo. If those products, CMS, Ad manager, spam manager, utilities were not available and were not in turn supported by contractors, XenForo's viability for a forum software market would be greatly reduced. It would have been zero and will be zero in future (I would switch to another product) if XenForo does not get back on track. I took the risk going in because I like the look and feel of Xenforo and the third party products and people were there to make it work.

If anything, I think it's a major benefit to XenForo that I don't need to rely on third party developers.

I would disagree and say that XenForo is totally dependent upon Add-ons and contractors for all customers except those who are also coders.

I think it's also faulty logic to judge a product by how many users are online on the company support forums.

The size and activity level of the community in the support forums is definitely a gauge for judging a product.

Top Bottom