1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Implemented Attachments for PC

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Racket, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Racket

Racket New Member

I was just wondering if you could add PM Attachment Support? I have been looking for a solid product to offer this feature, however, the only product I could find was IPB.

Please let me know.

Thanks

2. Vincent

Vincent Well-Known Member

PHPBB3 has it too :)

I think this should be added too in a later version :)

3. Sejper

Sejper Active Member

I also think PC should get attachment support.

4. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

On other forums with basic PM functionality, it's not that big of a deal. But here on XenForo, Personal Conversations are so much different (and better). PCs open a large window of opportunity to allow collaboration amongst a few members within the forum, and that alone increases the need for attachments.

I say attachments are a greater need in PCs than they are in PMs.

Peggy, krstep and Princeton like this.
  5. Sejper

Sejper Active Member

I already agreed to the need of attachment but what you said makes me agree even more :D

6. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Storage limits become much more important with attachments there, as there's no way for admins to get into that data. (Well, other than through the DB/FS.)

Puntocom likes this.
  7. captainslater

captainslater Well-Known Member

I don't understand the problem. Why it would not be possible to restrict the attachment quota for PMs?
    Or am I wrong somehow?

8. Racket

Racket New Member

Hopefully we can get an answer from either Kier or Mike in regards to this being implemented or not.

9. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

I didn't say it'd be hard to implement, though the approach is an interesting question. I was simply pointing at that storage limiting is very important if you can attach things to PCs.

10. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Would it be possible to set a storage limit per user?
    In terms of kb/MB I mean.

That could either be just for PC, for forum threads or both.

Daniel Thomann likes this.
  11. Freddie

Freddie Active Member

Well, if the attachment system is abstracted in a nice way, you would get attachments anywhere that you can use bbcode.

12. captainslater

captainslater Well-Known Member

Ok, well it makes sense to have some limits on a usergroup level eg.

Oh and I'm interested how to set limits with Xenforo - I really don't like to convert MBs in Bytes for various quotas.

13. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

It would be good if that user just had a storage limit, but also if they could reference attachments across many PC's... wouldn't want to use up all of your Quota by uploading the same file to a few PC's

Though this does definitely get my vote for attachments in PC's :D

14. DSF

DSF Well-Known Member

I vote for attachments in PC's like as "captainslater" suggestions

15. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

The ability to have attachments to personal conversations would be a *huge* plus. Currently people trade their email addresses and do everything by email when they want to exchange attachments privately, or semi privately in a small group.

16. Sadik B

Sadik B Well-Known Member

I agree. I miss this feature in VB. Should be a default option imho.

17. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Are you using a modification in your vb forum? Cause I don't have it in my vb3.8 forum.

Maybe vb4 has it?

18. davadude

davadude Member

I would really enjoy the idea of adding small/medium sized attachments.

19. Private_Ale

Private_Ale Member

I'm not sure if I understand, but I think what you are saying is that since PC/PM's are "Private" there is no way for admins to actually see what is attached?

How about just implementing a "Purge PC attachments over 'x' months old" button or cron?

Apologies if I misunderstood :)

20. Boothby

Boothby Active Member

Since I am liable for what happens on my board and I wouldn't know what's going on behind closed doors it should be disengageable.