Attachment & Album question.

Private_Ale

First off I'm sure this has been asked and answered before. I've tried searching, but didn't really see anything relevant.

Question #1:
Is there any way to see a list of all of the attachments that you have posted?

Question #2:
For those of us who will switch from vB when xenForo is available, what will happen to existing attachments? I assume they will just be ported to the current system?

Question #3:
Will the attachments be stored in the filesystem or database? Can we choose? If the attachments are stored in the filesystem, can we select the directory? If so, can we have it located above the document root? (ie: /home/attachments instead of /home/public_html/attachments)

Question #4:
I know it has already be stated that the first release will not have any albums. Which is totally fine. However what will happen to existing user albums for people who convert from vB? Once again, I assume they will just sit in limbo until an album system is implemented?

Thank You :D

1# Don't think so
2# I would think so
3# I hope so, ATM I am sure they said it is stored in the filesystem though a database option will be available.
4# Probably just not for v1.0

All of the above are guesses at most, only Mike or Kier can give a definitive answer.

(these are all guesses) :p

#1 - not at this time
#2 - they would probably be imported (but maybe only post attachments, not album pics?)
#3 - filesystem? (this is just a wild guess; I have no way of knowing)
#4 - if/when XF has a gallery/album system, and an importer for the gallery/album system, then you might be able to import album pictures at that time (from your previous database backup)

Again, these are all guesses, and the devs would have to answer.

1# Don't think so
2# I would think so
3# I hope so, ATM I am sure they said it is stored in the filesystem though a database option will be available.
4# Probably just not for v1.0

All of the above are guesses at most, only Mike or Kier can give a definitive answer.
(these are all guesses) :p

#1 - not at this time
#2 - they would probably be imported (but maybe only post attachments, not album pics?)
#3 - filesystem? (this is just a wild guess; I have no way of knowing)
#4 - if/when XF has a gallery/album system, and an importer for the gallery/album system, then you might be able to import album pictures at that time (from your previous database backup)

Again, these are all guesses, and the devs would have to answer.
lol, Thanks :cool:

I'll try a bump again in a day or two. Maybe it'll catch Mike or Kier's eye :D

No.

For those of us who will switch from vB when xenForo is available, what will happen to existing attachments? I assume they will just be ported to the current system?
Yes.

Will the attachments be stored in the filesystem or database? Can we choose? If the attachments are stored in the filesystem, can we select the directory? If so, can we have it located above the document root? (ie: /home/attachments instead of /home/public_html/attachments)
Filesystem only. The directory is a specific directory now, though that wouldn't be hard to change.

I know it has already be stated that the first release will not have any albums. Which is totally fine. However what will happen to existing user albums for people who convert from vB? Once again, I assume they will just sit in limbo until an album system is implemented?
Well, obviously we can't import anything if there's nothing to import into. I couldn't really comment on what might happen with albums at a later date. We keep imported user associations around, though after you finish an import, you can't go back to the middle of it.

It would fantastic to know a bit more about this:
  • Could the attachments be reused? i.e. a link to attachment is available? vb3.8 can do this, I believe ipb cannot (attached pics cannot be reused anywhere else, I think)
  • How will people be able to quickly manage their attachments? In case the admin has put a small hard limit on attachments and needs to quickly delete something and make room for another attachment?

I mentioned this elsewhere but if it was possible to import just to store them for future use would be better then completely losing the albums, and blogs.

I agree about the albums completely, because many of us are using albums in the stock forum software we are currently using. Not everyone uses blogs.

Regardless, as stated multiple times, it does not need to be a full featured album, but it would be great not to loose them.

The question we need to be asking is, Do we really need an attachment system? the vBulletin answer is yes but what does the devs of this forum think?

The need for an attachment system is absolute.

Maybe not for you, but for the mass majority of sites, who offer some form of support, the need for attachments is a requirement.

While my users -can- choose to use a 3rd party image hosting site, allowing them to upload images directly to the thread (Where the image will not expire, run out of bandwidth, etc) is something I would sorely find disappointing in the lack of it.

It would fantastic to know a bit more about this:
  • Could the attachments be reused? i.e. a link to attachment is available? vb3.8 can do this, I believe ipb cannot (attached pics cannot be reused anywhere else, I think)
  • How will people be able to quickly manage their attachments? In case the admin has put a small hard limit on attachments and needs to quickly delete something and make room for another attachment?

Yes they can be reused, though there's not an interface aspect to it right now.

These of the things that can be added as needed over time.

I would support the idea of being able to import the album data, even if it's just sat in some database tables that could be utilised later.

That way someone could write an add on if they wished.

Blogs are less important, I've got those but not as many people use them. 3.8 is probably going to be the most popular version being imported and albums were a standard feature.

I would support the idea of being able to import the album data, even if it's just sat in some database tables that could be utilised later.

That way someone could write an add on if they wished.

Blogs are less important, I've got those but not as many people use them. 3.8 is probably going to be the most popular version being imported and albums were a standard feature.

My dev team and I are planning a media database, and this would help for when/if a gallery or some such is added, so that we can move the files to the native system.

Well, obviously we can't import anything if there's nothing to import into. I couldn't really comment on what might happen with albums at a later date. We keep imported user associations around, though after you finish an import, you can't go back to the middle of it.

Probably a really silly question/idea but....

Could an Album from vb3.8 be transferred into a series of forums?

For instance: Create a forum called Albums, which each user each have a subforum. Under a persons subforum, are a subforum for each album, and in each of those subforum is a thread for each picture. The first post would have the picture as an attachment & comments, subsequent posts in that thread could be comments received on that picture.

Example:
User CP -> pictures & Albums would list all albums, take each of those albums and import into a separate subforum, each subforum would have a thread for each picture.

Album subforum -> Abominations Albums -> Album 1 -> thread 1 is pic 1 of my first albums first picture & description, with posts in the thread be the comments on the picture.

Does doing this make any sense?

Probably a really silly question/idea but....

Could an Album from vb3.8 be transferred into a series of forums?

For instance: Create a forum called Albums, which each user each have a subforum. Under a persons subforum, are a subforum for each album, and in each of those subforum is a thread for each picture. The first post would have the picture as an attachment & comments, subsequent posts in that thread could be comments received on that picture.

Example:
User CP -> pictures & Albums would list all albums, take each of those albums and import into a separate subforum, each subforum would have a thread for each picture.

Album subforum -> Abominations Albums -> Album 1 -> thread 1 is pic 1 of my first albums first picture & description, with posts in the thread be the comments on the picture.

Does doing this make any sense?
We're using a much more sophisticated system (but vaguely along these lines) in our main vB site. The galleries are named to match the main forums, and there is an association setup to lick a specific gallery to a specific forum. Users upload images into "sets" in Photoplog, then those sets can be associated with a thread the user creates in the forum (actually you can associate sever image sets with a single thread, and each set show up as a tab in the image module at the top of the thread ). If images are NOT associated with a thread by the image owner and somebody comments on an image, it spawns a thread in the associated forum with a title that starts with text defined where we established the relationship between the Gallery and the forum. So the auto-created thread would be titled something like "Topic Foo Photo: XXXXX" where XXXXX is the title given to the image set by the member that uploaded it. This gives us good SEO thread titles :).

The best part of the system comes when members want to TALK about images. You can add "Notes" like Flikr (Facebook calls them "Tags") when you drag a box to select a section of an image. The system then shows that part of the image at the beginning of a post on the thread associated with the image, and adds a "Note" under the image up at the top. It's REALLY well setup for talking about images and parts of images... Sounds a lot more complicated than it is in use though :).

Top Bottom