Associate node titles with language files

Adam Howard

This is a 'long term' request because I imagine this is something that would be a bit of work (XenForo v2 or maybe even v3). And perhaps this is pipe dream, but it is something I have always wanted to see implemented into forum software (any development).

The idea:

On XenForo.com the 1st node (forum) is called, Announcements. Now if your site has muti-language support (translations), currently I can have every button and settings translated into German or French or Spanish or whatever I wish. But that forum (node) is still going to read, "Announcements" because it was typed in English.

I would love it when creating or editing a node (forum), I could also offer the proper translation to that forum (node) title. Because when you think about it, the forum is basically a menu directory and it would be nice if that menu matched the desired language.

Naturally of course, you would need to impute your own translation. But this would be wonderful for those of us who do broadcast our site in more than one language.

Last edited:
Upvote 11
There's one problem with that: if you have the node title listed in, say, French, doesn't that imply that all the threads in that node will also be in French, to someone browsing in French?

Surely you'd have separate nodes for discussions in English, French, Spanish etc. and had each node named for that language (in that language).

There's one problem with that: if you have the node title listed in, say, French, doesn't that imply that all the threads in that node will also be in French, to someone browsing in French?

Surely you'd have separate nodes for discussions in English, French, Spanish etc. and had each node named for that language (in that language).
The proposed idea is for communities that allow multi - language support (site wide) and not a language per forum.

So you're explicitly wanting every forum to be multi-lingual? Won't that, implicitly, mean users have to figure out which threads are the ones they can read?

If I see a forum whose name is in English, I'm going to assume that the threads in it are also in English. If I see a forum whose name is in French, I'm going to assume the threads in it are also in French. Consequently, that means if I suddenly see French threads in an English-named forum, am I supposed to conclude they're in the wrong place, or that I have to sift through all the threads in each forum looking for the ones I can read?

I have seen this done before. On the sites I've seen this done, this was the problem, and almost completely they reverted to single-language-per-forum afterwards.

I asked for this to be done when i was using Phpbb.
I asked for this to be done when i was using vBulletin.
I asked for this to be done when i was using XenForo.

And i still want it to be done! I think this would be an awsome idea for my forum. Ive been wanting it for years. But no one has done it.

I got almost the same response as Arantor. I think he is right. I think it would be confusing about which languages to make thread.

But then again for forum that use multi languages. I'm sure we could figured out a system or depending which users(language) dominates the forum. Either way i'm sure i could make it work. It would be perfect for my forum since my forum is country based. It would make it a true multi-language forum and attracts different country members.

I hope someday they go through with this on xenforo. I want it really bad.

Problem for me is not with forum names but with page node names. Say I want to have a tree of important data pages with php callbacks named Leaderboards, Leaderboard A, Leaderboard B etc etc. It would be convenient if it was the same pages for all languages, just different titles per language (content is my job to change according to language if needed). A French person could send the link .../leaderboards/ to a German person, without the name being in French in the node tree, navigation, menus and whatnot. Also it would make for a much more compact node tree instead of having those 4-5 pages created again and again for each language.

That's not a super important feature but it would certainly be helpful for multilingual sites. Another sweet option would be to select if a node is just intended for a specific language.

wow. That's awesome. That's exactly what XenForo needs. I still have hope xenforo will implement that in the future.

I found this forum. It's really neat. The default language is czechoslovakia.

http://www.tsjechie.net/forum/

You can see the different language flags at the top. It changes the forum language. But the problem is...

Capture.webp

When you press the language it translates everything. Everything except the most important, the "Forum Nodes"

So really, at this current moment, having the ability to swtich between languages is useless. It won't translate the forum nodes. So i'm not sure where to post

I often see in my statcounter account. Guests using google translate to translate the forum.

Here is how his forum looks like when translated using the default xenforo translation. It only translated the little things such as date, number of messages,

Translated1.webp

Here is how his forum looks after using google translate to translate his forum. Its translates everything.
Looks great!

Translated.webp

What a difference!

Last edited:
This is a very important feature for forums covering many languages.

It enormously help with SEO as you get indexed for both forum paths...

example:

myforum.com/commercial-projects/Le-Projet

myforum.com/projet-commercial/Le-Projet

Le-Projet being the thread title

I'm actually looking to migrate away from VB, and this might be a feature that will sway me to IPB.

This would be a significant feature addition that could benefit forums aiming for a global audience but also has its drawbacks and complexities to consider.

Top Bottom