Articles with xenForo?

gimpo

Hallo,
I'm playing with the forum demo, and I'm quite intrigued.

Here my question: I would like to publish some articles (i.e. tutorials) containing photos and text with a decent layout, it is possible with xenForo?

As I can see, the only place where I can post something like that is under the Resources menu, unfortunately the text editor seems quite poor for that purposes. For example, no horizontal ruler is available, also is not possible to divide the article in "pages".
Is available some more advanced text editor? Maybe an add-on? Or there is some work-around?

Thanks for the answer.

RM? Resource manager?
(We're living in a world made of acronyms. This always remember me the movie "Good morning Vietnam"... yeah! THAT scene 😄)

As I understand, one could use the resource manager to
  1. create a category having the article title as name
  2. add as many article chapters as single articles of the same category
Did I understand right?
But how could a person quickly navigate/jump across different chapters? Maybe the resources-list could be displayed aside the article, but it would be a little bit confusing, since all categories (long-articles) would be listed, not only the "active" one... :(

Last edited:
I mean that a long article (like unmounting the front forks of a motorcycle) can be very long. So it would be nice to divide it in several "chapters", and have a summary index to jump quickly from a chapter to another. This would help greatly the reader to not get lost on a long text.
I didn't find anything feature like that in the Xpress add-on offered by themehouse.com. :(
Article Management System has 2 features that come handy in your case: article pages and series.
Article pages is clear. Nice thing about it is that it also create table of content for it.
Series is also a container of multiple articles.
They do all you need, and even more that you may never thought about it.

Contact @Bob and ask for more info.

I mean that a long article (like unmounting the front forks of a motorcycle) can be very long. So it would be nice to divide it in several "chapters", and have a summary index to jump quickly from a chapter to another. This would help greatly the reader to not get lost on a long text.
I didn't find anything feature like that in the Xpress add-on offered by themehouse.com. :(

Keep in mind you'll be using Wordpress for your actual articles here. Creating a "book" in Wordpress is a snap. Each chapter will be it's own post and you'll install a plugin like this one to setup a Table of Contents and then write/publish the articles in the order you wish for them to be read. All XPress does is "bridge" Wordpress and Xenforo together. This way your theme, headers, and so forth will carry on from one platform to the other. Your users likely won't even notice that you're using two seperate pieces of software to achieve the end result.

I wouldn't fire with a big a gun to a little bird.
Installing, learning and maintaining two applications (wordpress + xenforo), instead of one (xenforo), would introduce a consistent overhead on my small resources in term of free time. After all I just need to build an hobby-forum, not a corporate portal or something like that.

They do not have all the functionality of the case, the version for Xenforo 2.x has lost many features compared to the version for 1.x
This just doesn't make sense to me at all. He rewrote his massive addons within a year, while each addon originally took years to write. All in his spare time. Its an insane undertaking. Not just a bit insane, but no sleep, no off time insane. Just so we can upgrade to XF2.1
Its not strange that not all features have been implemented yet. Patience is a virtue. Instead of complaining about it, consider the sacrifice made for our benefit. I can only have the utmost respect for that.

Installing, learning and maintaining two applications (wordpress + xenforo), instead of one (xenforo), would introduce a consistent overhead on my small resources in term of free time. After all I just need to build an hobby-forum, not a corporate portal or something like that.
I wouldn't recommend Wordpress for this because as others have noted, it's in a state of transition right now and a lot of people just don't like the new editor. (I have mixed feelings about it too.) IMO, a bridge only makes sense if you already have a Wordpress blog that you are expanding into a community, which isn't the case here.

I'm using the XF 1.5 version of Bob's Article Management System, and I hardly scratch the surface of its features. I have always found Bob to be exceptionally helpful, giving thorough answers to every question. I'm not sure how he finds hours in the day to give the high level of support that he does. I'd suggest looking at the features and playing around with AMS on xenaddons.com to see if it meets your needs.

XenPorta seems the way to go.
It states: "Articles index featuring paginated articles and features." Unfortunately I cannot find an example of that, but the add-on is intriguing.

Articles index featuring paginated articles and features." Unfortunately I cannot find an example of that, but the add-on is intriguing.
You have been provided all the information on this thread as to what add-ons fit your user case as you provided. IMO it's not even a contest.

IMO it's not even a contest.
No contest here. The solutions proposed cover my needs, but they offer tons of features that I will never use, and I don't need.o_O
To be more clear, all my needs would be fulfilled by a text-editor with some extra-feature. I don't need to build portals with cool intros, Disqus, facebook gadgets, and all that kind of fancy stuff.

The time spent to master complicated (but powerful) stuff must to be taken in account in my case. I don't need that power and I don't want to spend my nights in front of the PC just to print "Hello world" on a web page. 😄

Good point! 😄
For this reason I asked here on the forum. Honestly, I have no planned that things can get so complicated. I was convinced that a simple thing like that (a bunch of HTML anchors) was standard in xenForo, or easily managed from some kind of micro-mini-nano plugin.

Have you investigated the idea of using built in pages functionality to do what you need? Obviously editor functionality won't be present but if you know your way around html you could easily achieve what you wanted based on what you have said.

No contest here. The solutions proposed cover my needs, but they offer tons of features that I will never use, and I don't need.o_O

This is very common, add-on devs cater for many users, not just one unless you get something custom made. We just accept there are some features we don't need. It's what happens with Xenforo and a multitude of great off the peg software. I never use profile posts, but that's a huge part of it for some people.

To be more clear, all my needs would be fulfilled by a text-editor with some extra-feature.

And that is extremely easy to do, you can easily download and import bbcodes for most normal formatting purposes. It would probably take up to five minutes. I just added a custom horizontal rule to my forum, I've also added left and right image align with text wrap. I'll add the bbcode importer to resources here (I may have already done so actually)

Top Bottom