Add-on Articles with pages

== IDEAS ==
When a new page (aka article) is created, edited, or commented, I think that should be reflected in what's new. Being listed in What's new is what brings life to Pages / Articles.

People should be able to +Watch and +Like + Report pages.
Versioning is a good idea.
Pages should be entirely accessible from outside the AdminCP (or else that just leaves all the work for the admin)(which they never get to).
Page admins should be able assign people to edit a page.
Ideally pages could be edited / maintained by more than one person.
Pages should have their own tab, not buried in the Forum Tab.

Ideally Pages could have templates. Similar to how Jaxel does it in XenCarta (great template caching).
Strict category listing isn't ideal. Pages should be tagged and then a list of Tags is created. Clicking on a tag lists all the articles with that tag.

My focus is on the Page, and less so on the strict Articles format. I would like listings of pages - but I definitely don't like article listings to look like a forum with threads. I'd much prefer Title + Image + Summary to show up in an articles listing.

Morgain: are you interested in Pages and Articles ? I think they are similar but distinct things.

Very much of your way of thinking Dig. I have written to you privately to start comparing notes and look at where we want the same, plus how far I've got in developing add-ons.

My pages add-on will be outside the admin control panel as it's just easier than way.

It already has a xenporta block (that works too). Then first thing I am adding is the ability to add more categories from a page, then editing and deleting categories, then onto pages themselves.

It depends on the Generic Script Bridge someone else wrote as it's great for integration.

Look forward to it Liam. Main things I want to start with are bbcode editing, pagination and items appear in What's New.

Pagination will be done like this in my system;

You choose the amount of pages you want with the ability to name the pages. So you can have;
Introduction
Testing
Conclusion

For example :)

As for bbcode editing, I currently have no clue how to put that into it if i'm honest.

BBCode editing would be super popular.

Are you making the pages as their own document type ?
or would they exist in the database as posts ?

Liam: what is your intended use of Pages ? Do you want users to be able to make their own pages ?
will they have comments ?

My intended use of pages is simple;

I want someone to be able to make an article with multiple pages, eventually add comment support.

They will be stored in the database and viewed by "article.php?id=1" for example.

Work is very slow as I have a family.

I would want them to yes.

Just FYI guys i haven't had a second free to work on it, if anyone else was working on one keep going I may never finish mine and it probably won't be what anyone but me wants anyways :P

Update - Did a little work on it.
Along with a working xenporta block for showing categories you can now add categories via a page - Next up adding the ability to add a category to a category (aka subcategorys), as said before though subcats will only be down to one level.

Update 2 - More work
When adding a category, it can now be added to an existing category - creating subcategories!
Next up - finding a way to get the xenporta block to list subcategories (this one will be tricky!).

Need help from whoever is interested, see below.

I need to find the function Xenforo uses to clean post information that is sent to the database, for now I am just incuding a couple of my own functions just so work can continue. If someone can hunt that down for me it will smooth things along.

I also need the function for doing a simple sql query, can someone also find that for me.

Update;

After trying long and hard to figure out how to get xenporta and xenforo to work with subcategory listing on a block i removed subcategory ability until such a date as...someone else can add it later.

So rather than being stuck on 1 feature, i would rather work on getting the rest actually working...

Okay guys a few teasers for you if anyone is interested :)
articlesteaser.webparticleteaser.webp

Since i gave up being stuck on the subcategorys i've made real decent progress, i reckon i can have an early test available by end of next month latest.

Jon is finally ready to start this Directory mod having done the social groups mod for me (Circle Watch) - there are some cosmetic tweaks to do on that but nothing much.

Liam there is no really satisfactory solution to this on XF at the moment.

XF Pages don't have pagination, comments (your request) or bbcode editing (many other requests). I dunno why one of the coders hasn't stepped up on this one as the line of requests on these issues goes back to XF starting.

8WAyRun has done add-ons like a portal but this doesn't create pages, it runs off forums which it display teasers on a portal page. I think this is different to what you want.
8WAyRun has also done a wiki which does carry comments, and easy editing with bbcode; you can set yourself or mods to being editors. But you can't place selected pages in the main node tree and it's a bit odd on categories and navigation. You also have to stick to very short page titles or else the sidebar block screws up.
This coder is also very stretched and busy on running a lot of add-ons and his own large and busy site, so getting answers to wuestions either takes a while or doesn't happen.

At the moment I'm trying out Contentteller an independent cms which is absolutely amazing in its features. Integrates witrh XF membership, usergroups. Single static pages - multiple paginated Articles - News items - Links directory - Glossary of linked keywords. Disable components you don't want. Build sidebars left/ right as you wish; and create a portal/ splash based on a lead component in the centre.
The developer is patient, courteous and responds to queries fast.
The main downside is no XF theme though it does have a good flexible design section at admin level. It should be possible to create a matching look. STOP PRESS: XF theme on the way see http://www.warp2search.at
The other downside is cost - beyond a lot of people's budget though uinderstandable for such a massive and well constructed software.
E87 or £73 or $115.

What was your final verdict of ContentTeller? I am still evaluating my options. I will likely just use XenPorta until a native CMS is created in future editions.

Deep I quite liked Contentteller. It has flexibility in its design of its components, and feeds discussion to forum threads which I like.
But it does mean running a parallel system with a very different backend editor. That's tiring and complicated. You also can't inherit XF colours, navbar etc direct; you have to re code a mimic design. That would need updating.

Thankfully my coder Jon (waindigo on here) has now pretty much finished my social groups mod Circle Watch which includes a forum Watch/ Node Watch component. Bit of cosmetic tweaking over the coming week that's all.

We were discussing the Directory mod for Articles this afternoon and he's starting on it now.
This is a paid mod I am sponsoring to my own design. But I am sure that it will encourage Jon to hear from other people interested.
If you want a brief outline of how it'll work in my own design PC me.
Please note I am not using Xenporta. However Liam Dawe is and will want a block to display latest discussion threads connected to Articles.

Deep I quite liked Contentteller. It has flexibility in its design of its components, and feeds discussion to forum threads which I like.
But it does mean running a parallel system with a very different backend editor. That's tiring and complicated. You also can't inherit XF colours, navbar etc direct; you have to re code a mimic design. That would need updating.

Yes, that was my main reason why I didn't like it either. Another piece to update, break or have the developer get bored and disappear. Also the search wouldn't be integrated from what I see and the users would have two search boxes which is a big "user interface" mess. From what I see most of the CMS functionality can be "mimmicked' using a forum node to put the articles in. Then when a proper Xenforo CMS is made, I'm sure they will have an option to promote forum threads to articles. It's all content in the end, just the output and how it is displayed is different.

The other CMS stuff I am interested in is having "teaser" copy and the ability to write separate teasers and not just pull the first X amount of characters. Also, I am interested in Google's First Click Free option so I get the SEO benefit of indexing all my content but be able to hide stuff from guests and entice them to log in.

The other CMS stuff I am interested in is having "teaser" copy and the ability to write separate teasers and not just pull the first X amount of characters. Also, I am interested in Google's First Click Free option so I get the SEO benefit of indexing all my content but be able to hide stuff from guests and entice them to log in.

Deep I have Preview on the list (your teasers) aka as Read More.
Yes it could be a separate field as you choose the fields you want to have.

I know nothing of gooogle's Clickfree you'd have to talk to Jon about that for yourself as an extra.

What is this directory mod? Is it in the mods section here? Sounds interesting. I can see a few uses for it.

It's what I am sponsoring Deep. Jon is coding and we are designing it together - well I've been designing the functions for YEARS! Jon is just starting the coding now as we went through the functions list this afternoon.

Deep I have Preview on the list (your teasers) aka as Read More.
Yes it could be a separate field as you choose the fields you want to have.

I know nothing of gooogle's Clickfree you'd have to talk to Jon about that for yourself as an extra.

It's what I am sponsoring Deep. Jon is coding and we are designing it together - well I've been designing the functions for YEARS! Jon is just starting the coding now as we went through the functions list this afternoon.

Here are some links describing Google's First Click Free option. It's very powerful and a great way to boost SEO and entice guests to join.

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2008/10/first-click-free-for-web-search.html

http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=74536

Now you can protect content from guests and not miss out on any SEO juice and traffic!

Top Bottom