Arrowchat & XenForo

Edrondol

So I pulled the trigger and bought Arrowchat. Thought I had everything I needed to get it up and running but I'm getting a truckload of SQL errors. I am NOT going to pay $80 to have them install it for me (almost 2x the cost of the software!) and I'm a bit put out that it doesn't integrate easily. Nothing led me to believe that I'd have issues prior to buying this and indeed only found out it's not compatible with XF after I purchased it.

I'm *NOT* trying to steer people away from Arrowchat! That's not the purpose of this post. What I'm trying to do is find out what people had to do to get it working.

I know some people here are using Arrowchat. Did you have them install it or did you do it yourself? And what exactly did you have to do? Looks like you have to add some SQL to your DB but I'm not 100% comfortable doing this.

Thoughts?

Working perfectly well on my forum. :D

So I pulled the trigger and bought Arrowchat. Thought I had everything I needed to get it up and running but I'm getting a truckload of SQL errors. I am NOT going to pay $80 to have them install it for me (almost 2x the cost of the software!) and I'm a bit put out that it doesn't integrate easily. Nothing led me to believe that I'd have issues prior to buying this and indeed only found out it's not compatible with XF after I purchased it.

I'm *NOT* trying to steer people away from Arrowchat! That's not the purpose of this post. What I'm trying to do is find out what people had to do to get it working.

I know some people here are using Arrowchat. Did you have them install it or did you do it yourself? And what exactly did you have to do? Looks like you have to add some SQL to your DB but I'm not 100% comfortable doing this.

Thoughts?
Who says it's not compatible with Xenforo? I've not had any problems with it at all. Also, who said you have to add some SQL to your DB? If you mean that ArrowChat adds its own tables then of course it does! There's no need to add anything manually though.

The only editing I've had to do is put the appropriate code in the header and footer which I slightly modified so that ArrowChat was not visible to guests.

How does that work, considering that arrowchat is for chat between friends? XenForo does not have friends. Does this require the friends addon or does arrowchat add their own friends system?

Working perfectly well on my forum. :D

Who says it's not compatible with Xenforo? I've not had any problems with it at all. Also, who said you have to add some SQL to your DB? If you mean that ArrowChat adds its own tables then of course it does! There's no need to add anything manually though.

The only editing I've had to do is put the appropriate code in the header and footer which I slightly modified so that ArrowChat was not visible to guests.

That was also almost 2 years ago. Who knows what they've done for compatibility in that time? I personally stuck with Taiga Chat.

That was also almost 2 years ago. Who knows what they've done for compatibility in that time? I personally stuck with Taiga Chat.
Sorry, I only noticed that after I posted, I assumed this was a new thread when I saw DRE's posts this morning.

How does that work, considering that arrowchat is for chat between friends? XenForo does not have friends. Does this require the friends addon or does arrowchat add their own friends system?
If you use the friends option, it's based on who you are following i.e. for private chats you will only see those you are following online. The friends feature can be switched off (which I've done on my site) and then you'll see everyone online for private chats. Of course Chat rooms aren't based on friends so you can always see everyone who is in there.

I purchased ArrowChat when I was on phpBB which is why I've carried it over. I like it because the chat takes place in a bar at the bottom of the screen and that can be visible when your reading any page on the site, you're not restricted to just one page or have to have chat in one tab and read in another. However, you can also embed a chat room in a page so you can do this if you wish. I've done this because the embedded chat page works better than the bar for those on tablets and smartphones.

It uses the follow system. If you follow someone and that person follows you back, then you will be "friends" with them on Arrowchat. Otherwise you won't be able to see anyone unless you choose the option to make it show for all with or without guests being able to view and chat.

It uses the follow system. If you follow someone and that person follows you back, then you will be "friends" with them on Arrowchat. Otherwise you won't be able to see anyone unless you choose the option to make it show for all with or without guests being able to view and chat.
Not completely correct. You only have to follow someone to see them for private chat, they don't have to follow you back (I just tested this).

As you say, it is like Facebook Instant Messenger but it also has Chat rooms so you can talk to multiple people on your site whether or not you follow them.

Not completely correct. You only have to follow someone to see them for private chat, they don't have to follow you back (I just tested this).

As you say, it is like Facebook Instant Messenger but it also has Chat rooms so you can talk to multiple people on your site whether or not you follow them.
I've seen your screen name on the support forums. Is it worth it to buy $20 for support because back when I had "support" that dude was rarely around.

I've seen your screen name on the support forums. Is it worth it to buy $20 for support because back when I had "support" that dude was rarely around.
I don't pay for the support, just the 6-monthly update fee. I've never used the ticket support as I've not needed it (touch wood!)

I'd try to establish if the have a fix for your problem before paying for any support. You could do this via an open ticket http://www.arrowchat.com/support/new-ticket.php. Clearly they won't give you the answer on how to fix your problem this way but at least you'll know if they can/cannot fix it before you spend any money.

I can't get this running on my new server. I think it's because I'm using NGINX as a reverse proxy.

I read about it here: http://www.arrowchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=972

Debating on whether I should pay $22 for Arrowchat Support or pay someone else $22 to fix the issue.

the owner of the arrowchat is a big as...... they give no support. if you need a answer you have to pay extra money.

all what i can say. it is better to buy other scripts. arrowchat has no support and the owner is really a bad guy, who will make cash with erver answer.

That's pretty backwards then. Then you should be really careful with who's content you follow. My members 'spam' the hell out of me with support questions. (We have a support ticket system / helpdesk, but loads of PC keep coming in) I would not want my chat windows to keep popping up all day because a mass of members want instant chat support.

Top Bottom