Votes: 3 3.1%
  • I'm not.

Votes: 89 91.8%
  • I might.

Votes: 5 5.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have to pay for a ticket? If not, then that's being paid to attend.

Other than that, you lost me at "I'm a blogger", and "You can get half my book for free"

"Proven Science" to get more members?

You mean like "control groups" were used over a period of years and with varying topics and personalities to take all of that out of the equation....and that this knowledge you are going to impart is totally factual? And yet it's not obvious and written about in 100's of other places?

Hmm.....nice to meet ya, but I don't believe it. Nothing much new under the sun.

Here's something from 1992 that I feel explains 95% of it:
http://www.cervisa.com/innkeeping.html

Hi @Richard Milllington, I've read your book. While very well written, it's all about stats and numbers and they just make me glaze over :D I'll have to be honest and say that other than Patrick O'Keefe's book which actually talks about the part that's most relevant to forum admins - day to day forum administrating and building your community, giving decent examples and insights - I've yet to see any other book actually tell me something worthwhile or useful.

I'd also have to ask with the convention being called ForumCon, why a blogger is speaking :D (I have nothing against bloggers, I blog! I just find it curious).

Oh.. and I have a question for you! What forum do you run?

Yes I am 'a blogger' in the sense I have a blog. I'm a little concerned to see that's perceived as a negative thing here. I love sharing my experiences about communities at feverbee.com.

Hi Richard, thanks for posting here.

What experience do you have in running a forum? It's day to day operation, managing your membership base, growing your community, getting people posting, reviving stale communities, etc.

These are thing - THE ONLY THINGS. A forum conference should focus on. There are a million+1 marketing and blog conferences, hence why so far we're all pretty unconvinced ForumCon is anything more than 'yet another generic social media / marketing conference'.

I'm sure everyone speaking is an expert in their field, but unless their field involves them actively running a FORUM (not a social network, not a blog, not a marketing agency) it's pretty useless to have them speaking to people who are forum owners.

One thing that really baffles me is why the whole thing seems to be social media based. Forums are not social networks in the same sense that these conferences treat them. A forum is a much closer, niche community, and people don't tend to do much one-to-one communication like you would on a social network.

The same question that was asked when this thread was opened still remains unanswered: Why should we go? If the answer is 'to talk with other forum owners' then it's a pretty pointless conference. If the answer is 'to learn how to make more money from your community' then it's even worse. Nothing remotely forum related has actually be advertised for this conference.

The people speaking at a Forum Conference should be:

- Seasoned forum owners. People who run sites like AVForums, DigitalPoint (although I'm not sure Shawn would want to go :P ), etc

- Forum software developers (and no, I don't mean that exec from vBulletin/IB that showed up last year knowing absolutely bugger all about the product)

- Seasoned community managers/moderators (I.e people like Brogan, who work on someone elses forum, keeping it running smooth, etc)

Not a single one of these types of people are on ForumCon's list. Why?

Thanks for the responses.

I don't want to be defensive or get into an ongoing argument with people here, so will post once more and then step out of the debate.

My instinct is that there is a divide of sorts between the hobbyist/amateur forum experts like yourself, and those that do this on behalf of organisations like me. We don't tend to mix very often...which is a pity I feel.

Craigiri, on the control groups, yes to some extent. Both our own studies (we always use a control group) and the work of a few thousand academics here (browse at your leisure). There is a lot of incredible information locked up in academic about how to increase the types of commitment, knowledge sharing, and retention rates of active members in a community etc...Much of this practice isn't being applied at the moment. It's something I would like to cover in depth. Thus it's not just one person's opinion, but the opinion of people who have studied the topic in depth, collected and anaylzed the data.

That's not to say these tactics work universally across communities. Many motivational appeals to get people to join/participate don't work in more collectivist cultures for example. In some sectors too, like video gaming, attention is harder to sustain over the long-term. However, I feel it's the best information we have at the moment.

Sorry if sharing half the book sounded self-promotional. It wasn't the intention. The goal was more to say 'if you like this, you might like the talk'. Or at the very least, give it a shot.

Rick, I grew up running online gaming forums on VB, phpbb, mybb etc...Now we advise clients how to develop communities on forum-based platforms. We specialize solely in increasing levels of growth and activity in a community. My personal experience isn't just limited to working on one type of forum, nor platform, it's from working on around 120+ communities. We've tested hundreds of tactics in over a hundred communities to see what does/doesn't work. There are some people that have more data than us, but it's not too many.

You can see a previous webinar on a related topic here. If you DM me your address, I'll happily send out a copy of my book your way for review. You can judge the material for yourself at no cost.

I can't speak for how/why ForumCon select speakers. But I know Jeff, David, Justin personally, and they're all incredibly smart people who I think will be very impressive speakers. I hope to see a few of you there.

My instinct is that there is a divide of sorts between the hobbyist/amateur forum experts like yourself, and those that do this on behalf of organisations like me. We don't tend to mix very often...which is a pity I feel.
I think this part hits the nail on the head - hobbyist/amateur forum experts and organisations (although a forum expert doesn't necessary equate to amateur because they're not part of an organisation :D) Most people you "see" actively involved in forums - like the xf support forum, as an example - are the former type and not the latter; and because of that it's hard to find a reason why ForumCon can be of any use. By its name alone, it suggests it should be a forum convention that is not restricted to topics which only organisations who possibly have a forum are interested in.

Like everything else - what works for an organisation with a high top-line figure of funding they can put toward their forum (used for hiring people like yourself, for example) 90% of the more typical forum owner doesn't have and so that kind of information is of no use.

I also read (skimmed) the books and they are NOT snake oil - they are written well.

As to the "great divide", there is always the "corporate/individual" divide on the internet and in a general sense Corporations (most orgs) do not make for good community. They are rather attempting to use community for their profiteering or other promotion of their brands or orgs.

This differs greatly from the type of model pursued by the originals and greats like Craigslist, The Well and even our own little hearth.com site, which has vastly more traffic than most of the corporate sites (we are as large as Zipcar and Northface, for example).

In this big world there is always an "arse for every seat" and I have little doubt that you (Richard) have plenty of arses (customers, clients) who desire your seats.

My take is that most XF owners - as well as the owners of most forum software - are in a league where your advice about NOT doing a 2 million dollar (cost) launch is pretty evident! I doubt many of them have $2,000 to launch, let alone 2 million!
Off the cuff, I'd say such ideas are relevant to less than 1% of Xenforo buyers and users - if that.

Also, the material presented seems to focus on getting more action on a community - as if "dwell time" is really the most important or only important metric. For many of us, it is not! In fact, in my communities it's often been a bad thing when folks hang around too long. That's when they start taking ownership, which can result in lots of consequences (I could tell you some amazing stories of mutiny, profiteering, etc.....all of which we put down with maximum force!).....

In the case of our community, it's going on 19 years with growth each and every year and value (to us and the clients and users) growing each year.

Point is - a forum is only a software tool. It's a bit like having a "hanmmer" convention. Some people use hammers to build cabinets, others use large hammers for demolition - jackhammers, etc.

As you well know, Richard, a big mistake many community builders make is an attempt to grab too much Real Estate (too many forum rooms, too broad of a subject, etc.). It may just be that Forumcon does this by assuming we all want and need similar help. Or, it's the other way around. Many forum owners may also run web sites associated with the forum and want a conference which is even broader! You can't win...

All that said, if it was in Boston (2 hours away), I'd probably go.
Then again, I'm somewhat ADD (might be a good thing in the case of community development) - and sitting in any talk longer than about 30 minutes is likely to kill me! When I went to the google seminars they made it clear that no presentation was over 20 minutes. I think they know the score - according to them, studies by the US Navy and others have determined the span of attention at about 18 minutes (in a class).

Some of the Northeast forum owners once suggested a little get-together just to share notes. I think that would be a great thing. We also have a local (W Mass) podcamp...I just went and presented a couple topics. They had 120+ people there, which is great for a local conference.

Good Luck in your talk....

Last edited:
Hi Richard, thanks for posting here.
The people speaking at a Forum Conference should be:

- Seasoned forum owners. People who run sites like AVForums, DigitalPoint (although I'm not sure Shawn would want to go :p ), etc

- Forum software developers (and no, I don't mean that exec from vBulletin/IB that showed up last year knowing absolutely bugger all about the product)

- Seasoned community managers/moderators (I.e people like Brogan, who work on someone elses forum, keeping it running smooth, etc)

Not a single one of these types of people are on ForumCon's list. Why?

These are great points and ideas for their future...if they wish to appeal to various groups. Not only could these people give presentations, but they could be available for "podcamp-type" break-outs where folks could move around to different tables and speak to them individually or in small groups.

Sharing of information is vital to success. It comes down to whose information? It seems as if they have some good speakers - but perhaps they left out "the people who really matter"..as you are suggesting.

I also read (skimmed) the books and they are NOT snake oil - they are written well.

All that said, if it was in Boston (2 hours away), I'd probably go.
Then again, I'm somewhat ADD (might be a good thing in the case of community development) - and sitting in any talk longer than about 30 minutes is likely to kill me! When I went to the google seminars they made it clear that no presentation was over 20 minutes. I think they know the score - according to them, studies by the US Navy and others have determined the span of attention at about 18 minutes (in a class).

Some of the Northeast forum owners once suggested a little get-together just to share notes. I think that would be a great thing. We also have a local (W Mass) podcamp...I just went and presented a couple topics. They had 120+ people there, which is great for a local conference.

Good Luck in your talk....

I produce educational webinars and DVD's. One thing I've learned is that the mind can only absorb what the seat of the pants can endure.

Our formats are generally 40 minutes presentation from a big name presenter and 20 minutes of Q&A with that speaker. That has worked well for us, however, I like the idea of the 30 minutes for smaller/bite-sized topics.

As an aside, if there was enough interest, I'd be willing to donate webinar hosting for educational sessions on forum issues and then post the recordings on Vimeo or YouTube for free downloading.

Last edited:
I produce educational webinars and DVD's. One thing I've learned is that the mind can only absorb what the seat of the pants can endure.

Our formats are generally 40 minutes presentation from a big name presenter and 20 minutes of Q&A with that speaker. That has worked well for us, however, I like the idea of the 30 minutes for smaller/bite-sized topics.

Funny thing - I can only sit through about an hour at most...but ask me to GIVE a presentation, and I've made it to 3 hours (the class was that long, so I had to do it!)......

But, yes, I agree. Anything from 3 minutes to about 30 is great for most skimming topics. Longer is only relevant if the attendees really need the whole ball of wax. It's tough to sit for 90 minutes and only find 5 of them useful to you.

I notice that even the Apple Computer product launches get very boring after about 50 minutes....

I play guitar and one expert once told me that after about 90 minutes, it's all just noise. I remember seeing an excellent band as an opening act to Buddy Guy. I thought they were fantastic during the first two songs. By the 9th song I couldn't wait for them to leave the stage!
;)

Funny thing - I can only sit through about an hour at most...but ask me to GIVE a presentation, and I've made it to 3 hours (the class was that long, so I had to do it!)......

But, yes, I agree. Anything from 3 minutes to about 30 is great for most skimming topics. Longer is only relevant if the attendees really need the whole ball of wax. It's tough to sit for 90 minutes and only find 5 of them useful to you.

I notice that even the Apple Computer product launches get very boring after about 50 minutes....

I play guitar and one expert once told me that after about 90 minutes, it's all just noise. I remember seeing an excellent band as an opening act to Buddy Guy. I thought they were fantastic during the first two songs. By the 9th song I couldn't wait for them to leave the stage!
;)
I've got a convention presentation to give in July to a national organization on technology tools. Two main points in my presentation will be education via webinar and education/discussions via forums.

The difficult part as you've pointed out is paring it down to essentials to keep participant attention. :sleep:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom