Are guests able to "like" posts?

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Obviously permissions are configurable in the admin panel.

Does that include giving guests the ability to "like" posts or vote on polls, etc.

I presume so?

I feel certain things should be limited to members, a like feature being one of them. How do you track them? If they've already liked a post? It becomes hard and inefficient. I vote for no, and will disable it if its an option.

I feel certain things should be limited to members, a like feature being one of them. How do you track them? If they've already liked a post? It becomes hard and inefficient. I vote for no, and will disable it if its an option.
I agree and disagree.
I agree in the sense that it becomes easier to track on a per-user basis and it can log that you've liked it and prevent you from liking it twice (you could cookie/ip log this...). It also keeps it member-exclusive.

I disagree in the sense that it allows members to see how much activity his/her post is drawing from outside of the forum's users!

I'd vote for NO.
How can you be sure the same visitor won't like that post more than one time? or even the user like his post as a visitor. Definitely NO.
cookie-based system (HTML5's local storage anyone?) will stop most people from liking posts multiple times as they have no idea how to delete cookies. We just omit guest 'likes' from trophies etc.

Top Bottom