/arcade = works | /arcade.php = NOPE

Okay NginX abusers - time to get out the text editors as you all likely have to make this change.

This is the current suggested nginx conf as per here

The problem you'll run into with this is that any urls at your site that end with .php will be treated as absolute and xenForo will not internally route the requests, what will happen instead is you'll either get a blank page or a 404.

http://example.com/members.php <----- If you're running NginX and this link doesn't work for you then you need to make the following change.

Find
Code:
location ~ \.php$ {
Directly under it put
Code:
try_files $uri /xf/index.php =404;

So simple, if the location/file ending .php doesn't exists route it back through index.php and ta da xf is now handling php correctly.

The complete copy and paste code is attached.

Code:
location /xf/ {
    try_files $uri $uri/ /xf/index.php?$uri&$args;
    index index.php index.html;
}

location /xf/internal_data/ {
    internal;
}
location /xf/library/ {
      internal;
}

location ~ \.php$ {
    try_files $uri /xf/index.php =404;
    fastcgi_pass    127.0.0.1:9000;
    fastcgi_param  SCRIPT_FILENAME $document_root$fastcgi_script_name;
    include        fastcgi_params;
}

Remember to change "/xf" to your paths.
The only issue with your configuration is that everything will now get routed to /xf/index.php as that will always exists. An example:

http://the-sps.org/doiexist will give a XF error page.
http://forums.freddyshouse.com/doiexist will give a generic 404 page and not be processed via XF.

Well thats okay but you may run into problems if you use modifications that rely on xf internally routing requests, many do :) You may have missed what prompted this thread.

http://xenforo.com/community/doiexist
My server configuration will take take of any mods and if it doesn't I will adjust to suit. Your solution is not the answer as it hides legit 404 requests especially for those that may have migrated from another forum solution.

My server configuration will take take of any mods and if it doesn't I will adjust to suit. Your solution is not the answer as it hides legit 404 requests especially for those that may have migrated from another forum solution.
You should suggest something to Kier and Mike, this is the behaviour they recommend.

Just because they recommend something does not mean I agree with it. I am happy with my setup, it works for me, I redirect legit requests to the right place, others get logged as errors (or 404s if you prefer).

Just because they recommend something does not mean I agree with it. I am happy with my setup, it works for me, I redirect legit requests to the right place, others get logged as errors (or 404s if you prefer).

How would you handled the problem described in the op?

I would use a redirect to fix the problem. I have not read the whole thread so do not know the details of the issue. If you can summarize then perhaps I can offer a solution (after testing).

My point is that your solution is wrong for users buying xfarcade and running nginx. The owners of xfarcade should have a working solution for customers that buy their product and use nginx as their webserver.

My point is that your solution is wrong for users buying xfarcade and running nginx. The owners of xfarcade should have a working solution for customers that buy their product and use nginx as their webserver.
Just to clarify, nobody is "buying" anything from XFArcade and is available to anybody that wants to use it. If you wish to donate the resources so we can test every possible server configuration that XF might run on let me know and I'll forward a mailing address to ship the hardware to.

Just to clarify, nobody is "buying" anything from XFArcade and is available to anybody that wants to use it. If you wish to donate the resources so we can test every possible server configuration that XF might run on let me know and I'll forward a mailing address to ship the hardware to.
My point is that the solution is wrong. That is all. If you want to ship hardware then give me the specs :p

My point is that the solution is wrong. That is all. If you want to ship hardware then give me the specs :p
If an XF installation is up & running and if the missing page gives the same results as when using the XF defined rules than XFA will also work. If something like using nginx results in the XF behavior not being as expected in its handling of invalid pages then XFA also will not work. It is that simple. Your personal preference for how to handle invalid pages within XF has no bearing on it.

But, again, if you wish to donate resources (man power, hardware, etc.) so we can accommodate your opinion of what the correct solution should be then feel free to start packing it up.

If an XF installation is up & running and if the missing page gives the same results as when using the XF defined rules than XFA will also work. If something like using nginx results in the XF behavior not being as expected in its handling of invalid pages then XFA also will not work. It is that simple. Your personal preference for how to handle invalid pages within XF has no bearing on it.

But, again, if you wish to donate resources (man power, hardware, etc.) so we can accommodate your opinion of what the correct solution should be then feel free to start packing it up.
Total rubbish. You should be enabling users to be able to run your software. If your mod is correctly coded then everything should pass thru XenForo, that way no error for mistake. Evertyhing else should register as an error.

Total rubbish. You should be enabling users to be able to run your software. If your mod is correctly coded then everything should pass thru XenForo, that way no error for mistake. Evertyhing else should register as an error.
It is obvious that you have not read this whole thread nor have you bothered looking into finding out why the games post back to certain named files & can't be changed nor have slowed down enough to consider that your opinion is not the universally accepted truth.

Are there other ways of addressing the issues? Yes. Is there one solution that is the "correct" solution. No. Will XFA work on an XF installation that is behaving as expected? Yes.

Top Bottom