APC and caching

Can you tell me what is proper then? Please
Is explained into XenForo documentation, take your time and read. That's the only way you will understand how to set everything right, not by doing some copy/paste without knowing what those values are. The Internet is full of wrong information, just related to Nginx tutorials I see tons of misleading info posted out there.

You need to install it.

If you are running WHM on your server, try this guide: http://blog.joomlaworks.net/install-apc-on-a-whmcpanel-server-1128-the-ea
I've used that guide. After installing APC, make sure APC.so exists. On my server it was named apc.so (lower case) instead, so I had to manually edit php.ini to change extension from APC.so to apc.so and then restart apache.
Help me edit file php.ini
Code:
extension_dir="./" to extension_dir="/usr/local/lib"
WWW . DOWN:(

If you have that in your php.ini, you definitely don't have WHM on your server. That tutorial is only for WHM. You'll need to find some other tutorial.

Based on my experience, running APC and caching the XenForo sessions will result into guaranteed fragmentation, your graph shows perfectly what I mean. That translates to slower performance overall.
Personally, I use Memcached + Libmemcached for XenForo cache and APC for the regular php files cache.
Here are my stats:

View attachment 31926

Libmemcached library (combined with php-pecl-memcached) is HUGELY superior, compared to Memcache one.
But from your screenshot, you're reporting 3.4 cache hits per second where I'm showing 147 cache hits per second. Is this because you are so finely tuned or because my site is busier?

But from your screenshot, you're reporting 3.4 cache hits per second where I'm showing 147 cache hits per second. Is this because you are so finely tuned or because my site is busier?
Your site is busier :)

Fragmentation isn't a massive issue unless you're low on available memory, you can always bump your apc memory limit to allow a buffer for said fragmentation.

Fragmentation isn't a massive issue unless you're low on available memory, you can always bump your apc memory limit to allow a buffer for said fragmentation.
That is simply not true. You can set your memory limit to 16GB and you will still get fragmentation if you cache the XenForo sessions in APC. Fragmentation will definitely slow your site, run Siege for 12 hours with 5,000 users hammering your server and let me know.

Okay but Floren we're specifically talking about XenForo and fragmentation isn't an issue, I understand you offer paid services though... Your example isn't in the slightest bit relevant to this site.

Okay but Floren we're specifically talking about XenForo and fragmentation isn't an issue, I understand you offer paid services though... Your example isn't in the slightest bit relevant to this site.
I have no idea what are you talking about. It does not matter what software produces the memory fragmentation in APC... it is there and will slow down your site, forum, etc. I also have no idea what Axivo paid services have related to the memory fragmentation that occur in APC?

Well APC fragmentation when severe does slow down site's php related performance. But minor APC fragmentation seems okay in terms of site's php performance - this is with APC Cache file/php only caching at 7,500 cache hits/second. I have custom written stats logging script for APC Cache and Memcached server stats logged at 5min intervals. For APC cache, I also have APC fragmentation threshold alerts set so if fragmentation goes beyond a certain level, I get an email notification and/or can set a number of automated actions that the server/PHP/APC Cache can take i.e. clear the cache or reset it etc etc. Never had to use it though as I don't see fragmentation beyond 0-5% with 512MB allocated.

Not sure why there is any argument here, any caching is better than none :)

Top Bottom