Any sort of roadmap for Xenforo 2.3 ?

Every month I get a notice in my xenforo admincp because the monthly file health check results show that there is one file with unexpected content. (I edited that one) Sure, looking at file content of all files would already tell me this. No one is going to bother themselves because its too tedious. I'm quite happy that xenforo checks it for us once a month and lets me know if there is an issue. This is how it should be.

The same goes for checking out queries in debug mode. Once there are many addons installed, toggling addons on and off is more work than just going trough dozens of queries for each page and making sure there is nothing too drastic there. As its just too tedious to do basically no one does this. Therefore issues are never reported to addon developers. Going through all queries this for a site that has a mass of addons installed is IMHO necessary but tedious and not very practical in its current form. Its why @Xon created a slow query logger. Its also why some admins are praising addons unaware of poor performance impact.
If XF would contain something that runs monthly and makes admins aware of slow queries and massive queries, then this would improve the general addon ecosystem.

Every month I get a notice in my xenforo admincp because the monthly file health check results show that there is one file with unexpected content. (I edited that one) Sure, looking at file content of all files would already tell me this. No one is going to bother themselves because its too tedious. I'm quite happy that xenforo checks it for us once a month and lets me know if there is an issue. This is how it should be.

The same goes for checking out queries in debug mode. Once there are many addons installed, toggling addons on and off is more work than just going trough dozens of queries for each page and making sure there is nothing too drastic there. As its just too tedious to do basically no one does this. Therefore issues are never reported to addon developers. Going through all queries this for a site that has a mass of addons installed is IMHO necessary but tedious and not very practical in its current form. Its why @Xon created a slow query logger. Its also why some admins are praising addons unaware of poor performance impact.
If XF would contain something that runs monthly and makes admins aware of slow queries and massive queries, then this would improve the general addon ecosystem.
I get what you mean but it's not really comparable. The file health check is to notify of a potential hack or compromise of your site, and is checked against a list of known hashes where detecting a problem is much more of a binary decision (it either matches the hash or it doesn't).

Detecting slow queries though is a lot more subjective, there could be reasons why some queries are slower. It might not necessarily be an issue with an addon, there could be issues with the server itself, and I don't think it would necessarily be able to even tell which addon ran a query. It wouldn’t be very accurate to find the most recent addon in the stack trace. There would be a very high chance of false positives and it'd be confusing for admins.

The file health check is there to protect your board, flagging issues with slow addon queries to forum admins who probably won't understand what it means with the intent of being able to find issues on behalf of developers isn't something I'd expect to see implemented.

Last edited:
I get what you mean but it's not really comparable. The file health check is to notify of a potential hack or compromise of your site, and is checked against a list of known hashes where detecting a problem is much more of a binary decision (it either matches the hash or it doesn't).

Detecting slow queries though is a lot more subjective, there could be reasons why some queries are slower. It might not necessarily be an issue with an addon, there could be issues with the server itself, and I don't think it would necessarily be able to even tell which addon ran a query. It wouldn’t be very accurate to find the most recent addon in the stack trace. There would be a very high chance of false positives and it'd be confusing for admins.
X2. I could see slow query detection causing a lot of false alerts. For example, may sites don't have great MySQL backup systems/settings, leading to periodic lockup or slow down of the live site. Bad settings for writes, I/O, etc. too.

This seemingly innocuous quote spoke volumes to me. Not for the fact that it dispelled a redirection, but that it proved there is a passion for the product that is steering that direction.

Whereas another company constantly downplays their self-hosted offering, while at the same time bloviating with double talk about how much they support it!

I'm hoping that the ignore feature is more like how twitter and facebook have it.
Have had people on ignore who have still gone after posts that they can see.

I'm hoping that the ignore feature is more like how twitter and facebook have it.
Have had people on ignore who have still gone after posts that they can see.
a blocking function.

vote here

I'd honestly like to know how many 'voted for' features or improvements make it to development stage. There's so many. Would be absolutely lovely to see some pegged off the list as completed/actioned.

Same for long-standing bugs from 2013.

But we’re being a lot more careful in choosing our next editor.
One thing I wonder about is whether XF would benefit from a simpler editor. A few sites I use are kind of bare minimum and I initially balked at that, thinking that XF's full-featured editor was better. But as I post more and more on those sites, I am now shifting my thinking to whether minimalist is the way to go. Most posters don't use more than bold, italic, underline, emoji, insert image, insert media. Even Giphy is more of a nice-to-have as long as you can embed GIFs with the image insertion tool. Links are usually just pasted in. My writing sites, you can do links by simply highlighting the text you want linked and then pasting the URL from the clipboard.

This is the one from my writing site. It is maybe a bit too minimal, but it works for probably 90% of my posts. The camera covers both image insertion and media insertion.

1690408527901.webp

Reckon you guys should have a list of the different kind of editors and put them up for discussion for everyone in a poll with them all in it.
Let us help you

Top Bottom