Any sort of roadmap for Xenforo 2.3 ?

Thanks an update @Kier . What I really hope is not an other dead promise which made in the past. Looking forward to see what's inside the box of XF 2.3

Hope you're not having any issues with your current version mate. That's why it's recommended that we renew our licence/s.
I remember @Slavik pming me about mine.
Zero issues tbh, don't think we've had any issues, tbh when upgrading always worried about xwiki not working anymore, that was a biggest regret/waste of money IMO >.< took so long to get working, we should have just paid a dev to code something to bridge them lol =-/

Not really - each second point release (3.1, 3.2 etc.) will have at least one major new feature or improvement
Fantastic! I've been saying you should do this for a while now, so I'm glad you finally listened to me. :LOL:

But seriously, I think this is really good news. It's probably inevitable that there will be a small vocal group who will complain that we don't get any really big releases any more, or whatever, but I think this new way of doing things will keep most of the natives happy. In my opinion, it's definitely preferable to knowing you have nothing to look forward to except years of occasional bug fixes. (y)

Following @Chris D's comments yesterday, I'd like to briefly explain some of what's been going on.

Along with a bunch of major performance improvements and new features that are on the slate for 2.3, one of the main things on our list to do was a totally new master style. This has been largely my domain, and I have to say I'm really looking forward to unveiling it.

However, as the design was finalised and the technology behind it was being integrated, we turned our attention to how to migrate existing styles over to the new system in as much as would be possible. It was at this point that we realised that the new style is so dramatically different in its approach that we would need to spend a disproportionate amount of time producing some sort of migration system, and that it would be unlikely to be able to do a decent job given the vast gamut of customisation options available in the existing style system.

As you will know, because we place enormous value in our ability to provide a stable and reliable architecture upon which third parties can build plug-ins, extensions, applications and also styles, we make huge efforts to retain backward compatibility wherever possible when putting out a second-point release (2.1, 2.2 etc.).

It became clear that the new style would unavoidably introduce significant breakage to third party integrations, and reluctantly we decided to hold it back so that customers can benefit from the rest of what 2.3 has to offer, without needing to do extensive work to make existing third-party functionality and styles work with the new system. Some of the back-end customisation tools of the new style have been retained as they don't require drastic changes to templates or third-party styles, but the new style itself won't be released with 2.3.

That said, we have decided to switch to a different model for the way we release XenForo updates. While previously we have targeted fairly massive releases packed with new features, this has led to extended periods between those releases. I think it's fair to say that we are as fed up with that model as many of you are. There are features we finished ages ago that are slated for 2.3 release but have been held up waiting for other things to be completed.

After 2.3, we will introduce our new release model, where we will target a single major new feature with each release. That's not to say that other features definitely won't make it because of course they will, but instead of having a big slate of functionality to introduce with each x.y release, we'll get that one major feature done and hit the release button. The intention is that we'll have much more regular feature releases.

The first of those releases will be XenForo 3.0. Right now, the only feature we are definitely pursuing for that release will be the new style and as such, we hope that 3.0 will follow 2.3 in a relatively short time, as it should be effectively 2.3+style. Once 2.3 is out, we'll be getting in touch with major XenForo style producers to help them get ready for the 3.0 style, so that by the time it's ready for release there should be good third party support ready to go.

So, sorry for the delay, but rest assured we are working hard behind the scenes to bring you great software in the near future.
I really hope it's just styles that are the breaking change with 3.0. I haven't found the time to even finished rewriting some of my stuff for XF2 at this point.

How I Met Your Mother Reaction GIF by Laff

I’m going to keep this brief for now but underline that work on 2.3 continues and we will work towards a more extensive communication update soon.

We hear you and we are listening but I am imploring that you listen to us very carefully when we say that there are no conclusions to be drawn other than we are working hard to bring you XF 2.3 as soon as possible and we are simply taking our time to get things just right.

There are some good things coming in 2.3 and to an extent some amount of work has already been completed towards future versions.

I feel like some of these have been addressed before but I think it’s reasonable to address some of the specific theories from this or the other thread:

* We have no plans to redirect focus to become a Cloud only product. Our product is XenForo, the software, and that is a prerequisite regardless of how it is delivered

* Work continues on XF with the same uncompromising quality as ever

* The business is doing well, with year on year sales increasing

I hope we can bring you a more significant update soon but in the meantime I’d just like to reiterate that work continues, and @Kier, @NixFifty, @Jeremy P and I are excited to show you what we’ve been working on.

Following @Chris D's comments yesterday, I'd like to briefly explain some of what's been going on.

Along with a bunch of major performance improvements and new features that are on the slate for 2.3, one of the main things on our list to do was a totally new master style. This has been largely my domain, and I have to say I'm really looking forward to unveiling it.

However, as the design was finalised and the technology behind it was being integrated, we turned our attention to how to migrate existing styles over to the new system in as much as would be possible. It was at this point that we realised that the new style is so dramatically different in its approach that we would need to spend a disproportionate amount of time producing some sort of migration system, and that it would be unlikely to be able to do a decent job given the vast gamut of customisation options available in the existing style system.

As you will know, because we place enormous value in our ability to provide a stable and reliable architecture upon which third parties can build plug-ins, extensions, applications and also styles, we make huge efforts to retain backward compatibility wherever possible when putting out a second-point release (2.1, 2.2 etc.).

It became clear that the new style would unavoidably introduce significant breakage to third party integrations, and reluctantly we decided to hold it back so that customers can benefit from the rest of what 2.3 has to offer, without needing to do extensive work to make existing third-party functionality and styles work with the new system. Some of the back-end customisation tools of the new style have been retained as they don't require drastic changes to templates or third-party styles, but the new style itself won't be released with 2.3.

That said, we have decided to switch to a different model for the way we release XenForo updates. While previously we have targeted fairly massive releases packed with new features, this has led to extended periods between those releases. I think it's fair to say that we are as fed up with that model as many of you are. There are features we finished ages ago that are slated for 2.3 release but have been held up waiting for other things to be completed.

After 2.3, we will introduce our new release model, where we will target a single major new feature with each release. That's not to say that other features definitely won't make it because of course they will, but instead of having a big slate of functionality to introduce with each x.y release, we'll get that one major feature done and hit the release button. The intention is that we'll have much more regular feature releases.

The first of those releases will be XenForo 3.0. Right now, the only feature we are definitely pursuing for that release will be the new style and as such, we hope that 3.0 will follow 2.3 in a relatively short time, as it should be effectively 2.3+style. Once 2.3 is out, we'll be getting in touch with major XenForo style producers to help them get ready for the 3.0 style, so that by the time it's ready for release there should be good third party support ready to go.

So, sorry for the delay, but rest assured we are working hard behind the scenes to bring you great software in the near future.

Thank you both for the update! This is exactly what I've been looking to see for quite some time now...simply a reason why. Now that we've got that out of the way, I'll carry on with my plans on a new site with XF and will be renewing an expired license of mine very soon.

Thanks for the update @Kier I like these decisions.
It looks like I may be skipping XF2 altogether and go straight from XF1.5 to XF3.0
There seems little point in investing in the creation of essential XF2 addons, when XF3 is on the way.
What are your thoughts on this dilemma?

Yes, this I understand. Let me put some more nuance in my statement:
There seems little point in investing in the creation of essential XF2 addons IF these introduce UI/styling elements, when XF3 is on the way. Because the UI and styling would have to be redone.
What do the developers think about this dilemma?

Appreciating the way you didn't let yourselves be intimidated by our frantic and persistent requests, but instead prioritized the compatibility and quality of the product, no matter the cost, and didn't release a new product just for the sake of it. Proud to be a XenForo user.

To clarify, the code base will not be changing in XF3, other than the usual updates.

The change in major version is due to the breaking changes caused by the new style.

XF 3.0 will essentially be XF 2.3 with a new style.

@Brogan, were you fooling us all along?! We even tried to bribe you to give us some news, and you kept responding with a "I don't know anything." 🤣

Yes, this I understand. Let me put some more nuance in my statement:
There seems little point in investing in the creation of essential XF2 addons IF these introduce UI/styling elements, when XF3 is on the way. Because the UI and styling would have to be redone.
What do the developers think about this dilemma?
I'm no developer but I'd just wait for XF3. You have no requirements for XF2 functionality hence being on 1.x. Save some money and wait.

As I said those that know won't tell. vBulletin 3 was way before Internet Brands.

I know some of what was going on during the vB3 era. You might be surprised at what's out there not commonly known. That includes interesting events here over the course of the 2010s. :-)

However, in my reply I thought you were referring to the period from vB3 -> vB4, when there was a rush to release, for the sake of the stock, and the resulting disappointment. The internal stuff at IB was a fiasco.

Top Bottom