Any sort of roadmap for Xenforo 2.3 ?

Whatsapp is a terrible comparison for forum software, though. Do you honestly think one could have managed, threaded discussion forums on that platform? I'd take an FB group over that and I hate FB groups.
its not a forum replacement obviously.......but i also dont think i need to post a video showing how easy it is to upload and use a photo on there because anyone thats used it already knows what they are missing with xf

its not a forum replacement obviously.......but i also dont think i need to post a video showing how easy it is to upload and use a photo on there because anyone thats used it already knows what they are missing with xf
You drag and drop the photo into your post like I just did. How hard is that? (I just grabbed a random pic off my laptop. I think this was a coverage image for a featured thread on my site a while back.)

Jesus Feature.jpg

On mobile ??
Fair enough. I don't like doing more than typing short posts on mobile myself. Arthritic hands don't work so good with touch screens. So anything I do with an image involved tends to be done on my desktop, not my phone.
what if you dont already have the photo in your gallery? its extra steps that shouldnt be needed in a modern era, thats what...
Not quite sure what you're saying. If you don't have the photo in your gallery or at least on your device's drive somewhere, how are you getting it? I would think extra steps of some kind would be needed, if only to take the picture and insert it or download it from a source. And the gallery on my Droid picks up photos pretty much anywhere on the drive so if a photo exists on my phone, it's in my gallery, sometimes whether I want it there or not.

Fair enough. I don't like doing more than typing short posts on mobile myself. Arthritic hands don't work so good with touch screens. So anything I do with an image involved tends to be done on my desktop, not my phone.

Not quite sure what you're saying. If you don't have the photo in your gallery or at least on your device's drive somewhere, how are you getting it? I would think extra steps of some kind would be needed, if only to take the picture and insert it or download it from a source. And the gallery on my Droid picks up photos pretty much anywhere on the drive so if a photo exists on my phone, it's in my gallery, sometimes whether I want it there or not.
to be honest i sort of only got my first smart phone this year, so im not about the tech personally lol.....but i hear about it constantly.....

you get it tho, by using the camera on the phone, then bam right to post direct same step.....

I guess he is talking about the function that allows you to add a photo in a WhatsApp message by taking it live.
Hmm. Interesting. If something like that could be made to work in Xenforo, I'd obviously be all for it. I see no issue with borrowing cool ideas from social media, but I think there also needs to be recognition that forums are a different sort of social media from something like Whatsapp and that there is value in some of those differences. After being on Circle, which is more social media-like, for a while, I really appreciate Xenforo.

you get it tho, by using the camera on the phone, then bam right to post direct same step.....
I would never do that, though. I'm too prone to cropping and editing first. So for me it would have to be take photo, store and edit in gallery, then bam to post. But in principle, I do like the idea of direct posting from a camera to a post. Had not thought of that scenario.

That said, I think XF needs to borrow stuff like this that works from social media but not lose it's essential identity as forum software. My site exists because a group of people explicitly rejected having a forum site (admittedly, a so-so one) replaced with an FB group.

Hmm. Interesting. If something like that could be made to work in Xenforo, I'd obviously be all for it. I see no issue with borrowing cool ideas from social media, but I think there also needs to be recognition that forums are a different sort of social media from something like Whatsapp and that there is value in some of those differences. After being on Circle, which is more social media-like, for a while, I really appreciate Xenforo.

I would never do that, though. I'm too prone to cropping and editing first. So for me it would have to be take photo, store and edit in gallery, then bam.
yes basic editing features as i understand are currently only supported for admin in xfmg, that is another good point(i do have a small list nobody cares about).......members are currently required to use a third party software to edit and capture/upload....

personally i am detailed posts and defending the utility of forums........but they need to stay relevant and competitive is the point with all this.....it cant feel like fighting to use a platform in this modern era......

i have a few ppl too, who tell me they do 100% of everything on their mobiles, period.....so i have to consider that now too...

i keep waiting to hear about when xenforo will be easier to use than social medias that have been killing many of us for years......simple things like easily organizing and cross publishing content which is amazing to me is considered niche.....i mean even whatsapp makes us look stupid...but hey maybe this next version right.....
XenForo Cloud 5 will have those features for sure

#irony

We could dance all night with this but reasonable would be the general consensus of a large group of people. This of course is if you believe most people are reasonable.

In my opinion (and I get that there are other opinions) Xenforo should release a major update at least once every 12 months. When users renew they should expect at least one additional feature update covered. Any paid service should come with expectations and right now you can only expect bug fixes. Heck, did I miss the update to the cookie consent that was apparently important and coming?

I also believe it is reasonable for XF to address major suggestions that have been at the top of the suggestion board for years. If you don't think SSO, AMP, WP Bridge, and other highly recommended features are good for core Xenforo then say it so everyone can move on.

I also think it is reasonable to give developers a heads up when you plan on developing a competing feature. TH not getting a heads up on reactions was wrong. XF could have offered to share this information under a NDA.

I agree about a major update in a year, but it is fine if other things are done at the same time. XF Cloud was a big undertaking, and it is understandable that things got pushed back. While it may not directly benefit people it can at least let people stop stressing about whether developers can pay their bills that month (as was seen during the litigation period).

At the very least, developer suggestions need to be separated from the normal flow of suggestions. They will never have the support that SSO or an expanded ignore system will have but are often things that developers need to offer meaningful value to the platform. Of all the niche platforms I have used recently (Not including IPB or Burning Board as I have not used them recently, nor do I want to) XF provides the least to resource providers.

Big add-on developers (Bob especially) should be given early access in preparations for major updates; the time it takes to update to major versions is rough, and they also have to make it so any major changes can allow migration between versions.

I think some of the older popular suggestions just need to be addressed. Suggestions with a lack of interests or mark. Why not mark suggestions were the dev's have no interest? For example, I expect they don't believe the future of web is with native apps. I kind of agree with that notion but why just not say it? I know they can't address every request but some like Wordpress Bridge and SSO probably needing a comment.
Why are we guessing at what they believe when this is their forum and we are paying them to be able to post here? "They don't believe the future of web is with native apps" -> And what does this even mean? The future is PWAs and note native apps? I agree - and so why not help us integrate XF with our auth/SSO so we can do PWAs correctly? Or reply in any meaningful capacity?

I think one thing we can all agree on is the deafening silence from the development team is not acceptable.

Communication should always be a top priority within any business.
It is indicative of serious problems one way or another for those with expectations of a long-term relationship

and so why not help us integrate XF with our auth/SSO so we can do PWAs correctly?
A fair point, but an unfortunate impediment is that Apple doesn't properly support PWAs, unlike Android and Windows. As they have such a large share of the market, this is very significant.

A fair point, but an unfortunate impediment is that Apple doesn't properly support PWAs, unlike Android and Windows. As they have such a large share of the market, this is very significant.
No it is not a impediment - because the point here is to get a meaningful reply from an XF developer, not streamline the web experience and plan across tech giants. PWAs and native apps can both benefit from having open SSO/auth integrations.
Some of us have successful communities of 1000s on social media ready to move onto something like XF - but we are waiting until we know we can implement and support some kind of custom integration for a decade to come. Is XF moving into the cloud domain? Is self-hosted XF and XF cloud code going to diverge? Some docs with auth/SSO integration details for XF are not that hard to produce and a potential boon for the XF owners.

I have to say, when I published an XF mobile app a few years ago, being able to instantly post images, videos, and later, voice memos, was very well-received by some communities.

No it is not a impediment - because the point here is to get a meaningful reply from an XF developer, not streamline the web experience and plan across tech giants. PWAs and native apps can both benefit from having open SSO/auth integrations.
Some of us have successful communities of 1000s on social media ready to move onto something like XF - but we are waiting until we know we can implement and support some kind of custom integration for a decade to come. Is XF moving into the cloud domain? Is self-hosted XF and XF cloud code going to diverge? Some docs with auth/SSO integration details for XF are not that hard to produce and a potential boon for the XF owners.
Good luck with that response. As you know, XF devs aren't exactly forthcoming.

Top Bottom