Any sort of roadmap for Xenforo 2.3 ?

Communication is the key. As simple as it is. As a customer, I’m expecting good customer service, if no, I won’t use the service again. And everyone would do the same.

As Mike left the team, looks like the team is falling apart. And there are no communication, and they are not serious at this stage with making fun with false statements. That’s my personal opinion and view as a customer.
The team is falling apart... But they released a huge product in Cloud that basically guarantees longevity of the business, and the ability to hire new developers as needed...?

I am not downplaying Mike, as I have always respected him and appreciated his work. But a singular developer leaving does not mean a team is falling apart, it just means that there is going to be a transitional period where some work may be slowed down until their role is replaced (if it is).

There is a difference between asking for better communication, or demanding communication, and most people here lean towards the latter. It creates such a toxic environment for a business (and especially development) that you do not want to communicate with customers.

Sometimes I wonder if this community is actually adults, because most people can't seem to wait patiently.

Sometimes I wonder if this community is actually adults, because most people can't seem to wait patiently.
Speak to yourself mate. Asking for what I'm entitled doesn't mean I'm not an adult. Waiting for 2 years, that's a long way. As I said somewhere above, we don't know what is coming, when is coming and if is coming.

@Kier said ''upcoming weeks...'' last year, which didn't happen...
@Chris D said 2022 which didn't happen...
Now he says 2023 which I don't think will happen either.

Unless the company is sold over and they don't want us to know this, so they can make extra cash. At this point, I lost my trust here.

The XF is divided in 2 types of customers, those who are having well established forum and they don't really need something new, and those who are looking in the future for their forums.

Yes, XenForo is solid soft, but that's not enough in todays world.
The team is falling apart... But they released a huge product in Cloud that basically guarantees longevity of the business, and the ability to hire new developers as needed...?

I haven't seen anything valuable released since they got 2 new Staff Members (correct me if I'm wrong). Relying on other developers who left XenForo is not an ideal.
There is a difference between asking for better communication, or demanding communication, and most people here lean towards the latter. It creates such a toxic environment for a business (and especially development) that you do not want to communicate with customers.
You probably haven't checked all them posts in this thread, some customers are keeping silent , but later they will start posting too.

As I said, as I customer, I expect good communication, and no false statements. I paid for 3 licenses, there should be some sort of communication from their side. I really respect all @XenForo developers for this product, but unfortunately disappointed.

But a singular developer leaving does not mean a team is falling apart, it just means that there is going to be a transitional period where some work may be slowed down until their role is replaced (if it is).
We don't know when he left, last year or 2 years ago after XF2.2, we know what we have been told. So that's a different situation here.

Speak to yourself mate. Asking for what I'm entitled doesn't mean I'm not an adult. Waiting for 2 years, that's a long way. As I said somewhere above, we don't know what is coming, when is coming and if is coming.

@Kier said ''upcoming weeks...'' last year, which didn't happen...
@Chris D said 2022 which didn't happen...
Now he says 2023 which I don't think will happen either.

Unless the company is sold over and they don't want us to know this, so they can make extra cash. At this point, I lost my trust here.

The XF is divided in 2 types of customers, those who are having well established forum and they don't really need something new, and those who are looking in the future for their forums.

Yes, XenForo is solid soft, but that's not enough in todays world.

I haven't seen anything valuable released since they got 2 new Staff Members (correct me if I'm wrong). Relying on other developers who left XenForo is not an ideal.

You probably haven't checked all them posts in this thread, some customers are keeping silent , but later they will start posting too.

As I said, as I customer, I expect good communication, and no false statements. I paid for 3 licenses, there should be some sort of communication from their side. I really respect all @XenForo developers for this product, but unfortunately disappointed.

We don't know when he left, last year or 2 years ago after XF2.2, we know what we have been told. So that's a different situation here.

You are entitled to run the software, entitled to support and entitled to software updates; when you buy software you buy it as is and not based on your expectations. Doing so will always lead to disappointment, and honestly is silly. I quite literally do not care if you disagree or not, but that is the reality of software development through and through, and it will not change whether or not people throw hissy fits.

Software development comes with delays; I always thought Chris and Kier jumped the bullet with their estimates after releasing Cloud, but it is also a common thing to do when you've just hit a large milestone. I agree that they could communicate better, but they are down a developer. It is a small team, and asking someone (likely Kier, the team lead) to do PR is insanity and is not as simple as people make it out to be. Could XF do with a PR person? Sure... But that PR person also needs to be filled in on Kier, which still pulls him away from development. I currently do all the game design and management for a game development team, and when I have to do PR stuff it takes around a day or two for the post and then any follow up; it is not as easy as spending an hour or two and then leaving things, because people will always want follow up and confirmations.

You do realize that established forums are more work than new forums generally? All forums need to constantly improve, whether it is in functionality, what you offer or in the quality of content or the community itself. The thing is... Established forums do not rely on the software to fix that. XenForo is never going to perfectly offer every feature every community needs to run, and that is why third-party development is so important.

It is also a mistake to focus on features on a new site, rather than focusing on your core content and community strategy. If features help that, that is great, but relying completely on features is a mistake.

They are likely not relying on Mike? If Mike has left, it was gradual while duties were passed on, and that means a slowdown in production because of having to catch up his replacement. Catching developers up is a slow process, as they need to familiarize themselves with where things are currently, the roadmap, and whatever state the code they are working with is in. They also may not be familiar with the workflow, and any development practices used by an individual team. Whether that is the case or not with the devs currently working on XF, I do not know, nor would anyone but the development team 🙃. Making speculative remarks is pointless, as it does nothing.

There has been communication. Whether it is enough for you or not is up to you, but there has been communication. Could XF communicate more? Sure. I do not think they need to be completely transparent about development, as that is up to the individual team, but a brief update on delays is something else. The problem is that it is not as simple as just a singular post as I said above, as people are entitled and whiny.

Someone couple pages back mentioned a software company that sold after it was posted about a new version being worked on.

For anyone that was around at that time the company was vBulletin. The same vBulletin that the owners here worked for. One of them actually ran vBulletin for a time. What you seen there is what you see here.

Really can you expect it to be different?

For me the software does what it was built to do. Great if they release a new version. If they don't what I have works.

Look at it this way. No need to pay for renewals. If a new version does get released with features that you think are lacking you can renew. If not use the version you have access too.

I don't speculate :) @Forsaken

View attachment 279389

Even this has been left behind sadly:

Speculation: the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

You have made speculative posts, as they are based on what you feel or your opinion.

Yes, there have been delays with development. That happens. It is about as common as the sun rising for there to be a delay, and it is because they underestimated their current workload, or decided to make changes. With the number of changes requested for the new GDPR compliance stuff... That could likely be a delay just for that (this is speculation, because I have no hard facts 🙃).

Development takes time, building out infrastructure build times, and so does onboarding any new staff.

The irony is... If people spent as much time as they do worrying about this update, they could probably put more time and effort into making their communities better 🙃.

You have made speculative posts, as they are based on what you feel or your opinion.

Yes, there have been delays with development. That happens. It is about as common as the sun rising for there to be a delay, and it is because they underestimated their current workload, or decided to make changes. With the number of changes requested for the new GDPR compliance stuff... That could likely be a delay just for that (this is speculation, because I have no hard facts 🙃).

Development takes time, building out infrastructure build times, and so does onboarding any new staff.

The irony is... If people spent as much time as they do worrying about this update, they could probably put more time and effort into making their communities better 🙃.

These speculations has been made by XenForo staff team so far. :) (Check the evidence on some threads on this community).

Not even bothered to read your post, so don't panic.

Last edited:
false statements from the @XenForo team

Well, the statements certainly weren’t false when I made them.

So unless you’re calling me a liar then you’re using the wrong word.

Everything I’ve said is true and what we have strived for but occasionally things don’t pan out how we intend for various reasons but this doesn’t mean the statements were false.

We will continue our work and we will talk about the release of XF 2.3 when it’s ready.

I don't consider the statements from the XF team ("HYS in a few weeks" and "2.3 release in 2022") to be "false statements". I'm sure this was the plan and intention, but something came in the way. Maybe a certain feature needed more time to develop? Something brought along some unexpected bugs that caused something in core to be adjusted? I'm just air-balling here, but I'm sure there are good reason(s).
I just wish we had some more communication about the state of things.

For reference, I frequently back board games on Kickstarter (crowd funding platform). We all want the game to come out when they have announced it for, but they often get delayed. Usually most will be pleased with it as long as they are informed, and with some information as to why. For example "we found some problems with a certain feature in the game, that we need more time to adjust and improve to make sure it is of the standard you expect of this game".

I feel confident they will deliver a good update in 2.3, keep up the good work @XF team.

Well, the statements certainly weren’t false when I made them.

So unless you’re calling me a liar then you’re using the wrong word.

Everything I’ve said is true and what we have strived for but occasionally things don’t pan out how we intend for various reasons but this doesn’t mean the statements were false.

We will continue our work and we will talk about the release of XF 2.3 when it’s ready.

Thanks for taking time replying. I do understand things might not happen as planned, however we should be informed if these won't happen. To avoid frustration.

Hopefully the wait was worth it.

Michael Jackson Popcorn GIF by Back Row Radio

Top Bottom