Any sort of roadmap for Xenforo 2.3 ?

Because I asked them nicely not to have one and they took notice. Blame me.
That's it. No cake for you.

Nicolas Cage Reaction GIF

Wasn't a promise, after a lot of pressure Chris made a statement to take with a grain of salt. That's it. If this kind of narrative continues the team will be a lot more strict with their communication to us customers.

Seeing the feedbacks, as expected, they should keep radio silence as much as i don't like this kind of approach (you can communicate if you have clear deadlines in place, if you don't you can't communicate anything or your will create expectations.).

In the end Xenforo 2.2 during 2022 received updates:
2.2.9/2.2.10/2.2.11/2.2.12

I still renew my license every year because id like to have my site running on the most secure ad updated version of the CMS i'm working with.

I will consider any other platform? Realistically no. Mainly for two reasons.

First. Because i'm too deep in Xenforo (with custom addons, theme, bought addons) and even UX (people don't like change if isn't justified).

Second. Competitors have some nice features (their user ranking system is nice, even with progression graphs so you can calculate better how is difficult to reach a user rank for example) etc etc etc. but nothing you can do with a Google Docs file and a little fidgeting with data (we replicated the same graphs and stats). For more complicated features we developed everything internally or outsourced (i had bad experiences in the past, but now very good ones with @Ozzy47 and @Painbaker). Even with Themehouse "leaving" we "gained" from their releasing their addons on Github (quite useful for our devs looking at their approach on something).

Basically, Xenforo doesn't lack something you need to be successful, only polishing and rounding out some features (and maybe something i can't or anyone can't think of...no one suggested "search forums" but here they are).

The Cookie Banner was nice to see before the end of the year and i hope @Kirby soon releases an addon to make it GDPR compliant 100% so we can ditch third party solutions.

Everyone should stop whining about the lack of "major versions" (is a toxic behavior, as a forum admin you should know it, because if users keep whining about a missed deadline is like putting salt on a wound).

You can stop the renewal of your licenses (and for "you" i mean, everyone involved). Or, you can change platform altogether, if your community and wallet allows it (so you can manifest clearly your disappointment).

Don't take me as a whiteknight of Xenforo Developers, they don't need it and i'm not, i voiced my critics in the past and i got an answer, i'm a satisfied customer, for now.

Fair enough, but I'm feeling that we are pushing to get some value for the money.

You could be wrong about new features. If you are well established forum, then this should not be Important. As a new customer, these are really important to achieve the success.

With @ThemeHouse leaving xenforo, that was really unexpected as well and very sad. Such a good team leaving such a good software.

I know they have made some statement last year regarding xf 2.3, however I have feeling that they are having fun here, or they don't care any more.

I wouldn't swap to an other software anyway however, I was needed extra licence, I doubt It will be xenforo.

As a new customer, these are really important to achieve the success.

Can you please tell me which ones?

With @ThemeHouse leaving xenforo, that was really unexpected as well and very sad. Such a good team leaving such a good software.

They didn't leave they just developed a suite and still sell it they leaved the B2C but embraced the B2B market.

I have feeling that they are having fun here, or they don't care any more.

I don't think so, Xenforo is a business after all.

I wouldn't swap to an other software anyway however, I was needed extra licence, I doubt It will be xenforo.

Your money, your choice. But we should keep things professional around here.

Basically, Xenforo doesn't lack something you need to be successful, only polishing and rounding out some features (and maybe something i can't or anyone can't think of...no one suggested "search forums" but here they are).
Agreed but also very much disagreed. XenForo is great platform that can be extended by addon developers. However, some things need to be in core or are quite problematic if they are not. Things that are in core can be adopted by addon developers. Core functionality will not be deserted, while addon developers often find the xenforo platform an unsustainable ecosystem from a financial point of view and therefore leave. The challenges this poses does affect success and contributes to why my main site is still on XF1 and will likely remain there for the foreseeable future. 95% of my big board essential functionality is converted to XF2, but for the last years I keep getting stuck on the last tidbit. It feels like pulling a dead horse, so I have pretty much given up until better times.

To me there seems little point in posting new suggestions, when extremely popular suggestions so far seem to have been pointless. I could have posted a hundred more, but those would likely have been nothing more than pipe dreams. I found it more productive to invest time on other software platforms where my suggestions do result in new releases.

Anyway, I hope that XF will adopt a more fluid release schedule instead of keeping developed functionality shelved for months or years until waterfall releases. So that small features can become available faster and we can see that XF still has a pulse.

Does ANYONE with half a brain-cell really think after the roasting for missing what they had said was targeted, that they have ANY real desire to put a timeline on ANYTHING?
This is EXACTLY why many companies (especially software) have gotten away from that.... unless you are Microsoft/Oracle sized where you can simply blow it off if you do miss any "promises".

Does ANYONE with half a brain-cell really think after the roasting for missing what they had said was targeted, that they have ANY real desire to put a timeline on ANYTHING?
This is EXACTLY why many companies (especially software) have gotten away from that.... unless you are Microsoft/Oracle sized where you can simply blow it off if you do miss any "promises".

I mean, is it really that difficult to communicate a bit more with your customers? I don’t think people here are expecting much compared to the typical PR and community updates that other companies put out these days.

However, some things need to be in core or are quite problematic if they are not.

Which ones for example?

I hope that XF will adopt a more fluid release schedule instead of keeping developed functionality shelved for months or years until waterfall releases

They do this when they can and made sense to, for example the cookie solution is in a minor release not a mayor.

I mean, is it really that difficult to communicate a bit more with your customers? I don’t think people here are expecting much compared to the typical PR and community updates that other companies put out these days.
Kier did recently communicate with customers though 🙃.

You also do not get faster development by pestering developers.

I mean, is it really that difficult to communicate a bit more with your customers? I
You simply fail to disprove the point that I was making... they DID communicate.. and they missed the date.. now, care to remind us about the pitchforks and torches that are currently being raised? Can you honestly, if you put yourself in their position, truthfully admit to wanting to tie yourself to dates that you may not be able to meet? Are you actually THAT blind to reality?
Please, feel free to expound on the reality of:
We missed out deadline... sorry, sucks to be you
We simply gave you dates we knew we couldn't meet to shut you the hell up since you were whining so loud
We prefer to announce features when they are near done, even though they may take awhile

Which, honestly, overall of the 3 above do you think is a safer position? Does the last one "get your fix" in? Probably not.. but what exactly does the current version not do that is going to bring you 'massive" traffic?
Would some communication as to the status of the development point be welcome... yep.. but as for WHAT is included.. guess what, we've rocked along for over a decade not getting it.. .is it surprising that nothing has changed yet?

Yes, I have my "*****es" about XF... specifically their lack of Groups after a decade of requesting it as a 1st party add-on (which I had to go out and purchase a barely adequate 3rd party add-on for my needs)... but over my decades I've seen software companies promise the moon and deliver cow patties. To give you simple hint.. I was running BBS's back int he mid 90's (probably near the time you were born).... so I've seen a LOT of promises made, not only by the BBS developers, but by operating system developers also... and failures to complete and the associated whining that went with the features not being implemented as "promised".

Last edited:
I didn't want to reply for a simple reason.

All these good features are already have been suggested and can be found with a simple click.
Suggestions are suggestions. They are not guaranteed to be implemented, nor are any possible new features necessarily derived from suggestions.

If people would prefer a software company to base its business model on populist democracy or referendums then try... er.... there aren't any are there? Oh yes, Twitter maybe?

Elon Musk Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

You simply fail to prove the point that I was making... they DID communicate.. and they missed the date.. now, care to remind us about the pitchforks and torches that are currently being raised? Can you honestly, if you put yourself in their position, truthfully admit to wanting to tie yourself to dates that you may not be able to meet? Are you actually THAT blind to reality?
We simply gave you dates we knew we couldn't meet to shut you the hell up since you were whining so loud
We prefer to announce features when they are near done, even though they may take awhile

Which, honestly, overall of the 3 above do you think is a safer position? Does the last one "get your fix" in? Probably not.. but what exactly does the current version not do that is going to bring you 'massive" traffic?
Would some communication as to the status of the development point be welcome... yep.. but as for WHAT is included.. guess what, we've rocked along for over a decade not getting it.. .is it surprising that nothing has changed yet?

Yes, I have my "*****es" about XF... specifically their lack of Groups after a decade of requesting it as a 1st party add-on (which I had to go out and purchase a barely adequate 3rd party add-on for my needs)... but over my decades I've seen software companies promise the moon and deliver cow patties. To give you simple hint.. I was running BBS's back int he mid 90's (probably near the time you were born).... so I've seen a LOT of promises made, not only by the BBS developers, but by operating system developers also... and failures to complete and the associated whining that went with the features not being implemented as "promised".

Communication is the key. As simple as it is. As a customer, I’m expecting good customer service, if no, I won’t use the service again. And everyone would do the same.

As Mike left the team, looks like the team is falling apart. And there are no communication, and they are not serious at this stage with making fun with false statements. That’s my personal opinion and view as a customer.

Suggestions are suggestions. They are not guaranteed to be implemented, nor are any possible new features necessarily derived from suggestions.

If people would prefer a software company to base its business model on populist democracy or referendums then try... er.... there aren't any are there? Oh yes, Twitter maybe?

Elon Musk Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

As I said before. For you these might not be useful, for others can be. As most voted suggestions on there, I believe these should be in the core.

Also depends on the niche as well.

For you these might not be useful,

As most voted suggestions on there, I believe these should be in the core.
Sorry, I missed where you said what the features are that you are talking about.

So out of interest, what are these features that should be in the core but aren't?

I'm confused now because you said above that extremely popular suggestions have been pointless? So why would they be implemented

when extremely popular suggestions so far seem to have been pointless.

I have seen suggestions that I think are good (to be in the core) as well as those that do seem pointless as you say. But it's up to the developers to decide in the end.

You simply fail to prove the point that I was making... they DID communicate.. and they missed the date.. now, care to remind us about the pitchforks and torches that are currently being raised? Can you honestly, if you put yourself in their position, truthfully admit to wanting to tie yourself to dates that you may not be able to meet? Are you actually THAT blind to reality?

Woah. Not really sure where your toxic attitude is coming from? I’m not going to bother replying to insults here, especially when told I am “blind to reality” ect. I don’t play that game.

A “2023 and beyond” statement or something from XenForo official is not a large chore. That was all I was saying. (Which the reality is sir, this is common practice for developers to communicate).

Last edited:
Top Bottom