Any IT Guys/Girls Here?

And how well are you going to be able to Google when your network is in meltdown mode, the client is foaming at the mouth about the down time, and you have to get things running as soon as possible so the client can meet a deadline.

If there's one thing I can't stand, and that's taking a contract to fix what the moron before me screwed up so bad it would be easier to rip everything out and start from scratch, rather than fix the screw ups.

OMFG... if you don't know what a NAS is, then seriously, you should be honest with the person that you don't know what you're doing. This is their money... and your lack of knowledge will cost them in the short or long term, or both.

Either Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS) principle, or be honest and let them get an actual IT person to give them advice and setup their network based on what they NEED for the purpose of their business structure.

I manage a small office setup, and it uses the KISS principle which remains within my abilities. The old setup had a server and rack system managing everything, but at the end of the day it was way over what was needed and I was having to make changes and nonsense often, which is all now simply an iMac at each desk networked into a Netgear 10/100/1000 switch with Drobo NAS's which do all the complicated RAID, and multiple redundancy stuff for me automatically. There is also a nightly backup which syncs offsite in case of fire or theft. There is a hard firewall between the switch and router for additional security, as well as soft firewalls. A domain name externally hosted manages all the mail directed to each system, along with spam prevention.

Don't try and do things you don't understand... IMHO, especially at anothers cost.

I can't even begin to address the level of self centered elitism in this thread...ohh wait ever since someone insulted me and told me I cant do something I learned how to express it...

Code:
if(preg_match('#(?P<pattern>(elitism|godcomplex)(\/unwarrantedDisrespect)?)#siu', $threadContent, $match))
        {

if($match['pattern'] === $thisThread)
            {           

$prefix = 'Laugh at people with __INSERT__ issues ';

$finalOutput = str_replace(array('__INSERT__'), array($match['pattern']), $prefix);

return $finalOutput;   
            }
}

lol it doesn't bother me. I have learned a ton in this thread. I realized I didn't think this whole thing through and now the complexity of it all is dawning on me. I'm plotting out how to apply some of the concepts posted in this thread to a business Xenforo forum. Something they can access from both work and home. I know of some posters who use Xenforo forum software for some of this stuff.

What the lady wants and what the lady doesn't realize she needs are two different things. Trying to make a workstation act like a server does not work. Period.
100% agree. And at the price of a basic server nowdays it's stupid to try and make one do it.

Hey this looks pretty good.

*reads review by James
James said:
After all of the positive reviews for the Synology DiskStation 2-Bay (Diskless) Network Attached Storage DS211J (White) I saw that an updated model was just released and decided to try it out.

Coming from an iomega StorCenter NAS and a NetGear ReadyNAS, I have one word for the DiskStation: WOW.

The D212J makes these other product lines look like thumb drives - mostly due to Synology's DiskStation OS. This feels like a full-fledged system; more or less a dedicated server. Faster, quieter and exponentially more customizable without being overwhelming. And so far, it's proving to be much more reliable.

Every feature and detail (and there are far too many to list), from start to finish, has been thoroughly developed. From the box, to the installation CD software (which remotely installs the OS on the unit over the network), to the remote access features and mobile apps, no feature has been left out or unpolished. Completely solid, every step of the way. If you're looking for a full-featured media server, backup server or file server, you'll find it all here in top form. You'll even find surprisingly well developed web and database server options.

The whole OS feels like if you took the best of Mac OSX and Windows 7 and blended them together. There's some serious R&D and talent behind this thing. It is rare to find a product so thoroughly excellent.

One of my more 'wow' moments: the DiskStation OS detected my router - with a custom firmware - logged into it, and tweaked it to allow remote access and torrent/usenet downloading through the NAS. In one click. Yeah.

Solid access control, packages/applications support, tons of remote usability, endless list of polished features, constant updates, high performance.

This is a vastly superior experience, and one that I don't expect to ever be topped for a device of this type.

It's worth far more than what it costs. You won't be disappointed.

That is so what I was thinking... well said. There is a huge difference being an IT versus being a little knowledgable about computing and basic networking. Running servers to deliver mail, file server, so forth, is beyond a little knowledgable IMHO, and often requires actual IT qualifications, not a want to be IT from connecting some home PC's to work together from a NAS or such.
I'll beg to argue somewhat with this. This is EXACTLY where I got into it at, and progressing forward by helping some IT that were being paid to do it (I just volunteered time) until i got the hang of it. No "cetifications" official IT "qualifications", etc. And the Dr. Office that I do work for (and originally set up) is doing just fine 13 years later with the same basic structure we set up originally (just updated hardware). The city that I did work for 7 years rocked along just fine (2 servers for cityhall, 3 for the PD - each running it's own exchange server, etc) with me at the helm (and stern - and midships:D). We hired very little out on contract (I did the wiring, spec'ing the servers, installing/configuring the servers - you name it I was a 1 man IT department), and this was a city of 22,000 residents.
Now, can everyone do that? No - I found that I had an innate knack for being about to look at, understand and implement stuff related to this. Was a shock to me as for most of my career I was just a patrolman (of course, I should have gotten the hint when in 1984 I purchased a Tandy CoCo 2 and wrote a basic program to track my calls for service (at first using a cassette - then moved to the big world of a 5 1/4 floppy) at an apartment complex that I was working security at).
Been retired out of it for a while (but still do some work related to it), and have a setup now at the house several smalls businesses would kill for.:p

Last edited:
I'll beg to argue somewhat with this. This is EXACTLY where I got into it at, and progressing forward by helping some IT that were being paid to do it (I just volunteered time) until i got the hang of it. No "cetifications" official IT "qualifications", etc. And the Dr. Office that I do work for (and originally set up) is doing just fine 13 years later with the same basic structure we set up originally (just updated hardware). The city that I did work for 7 years rocked along just fine (2 servers for cityhall, 3 for the PD - each running it's own exchange server, etc) with me at the helm (and stern - and midships:D). We hired very little out on contract (I did the wiring, spec'ing the servers, installing/configuring the servers - you name it I was a 1 man IT department), and this was a city of 22,000 residents.
Now, can everyone do that? No - I found that I had an innate knack for being about to look at, understand and implement stuff related to this. Was a shock to me as for most of my career I was just a patrolman (of course, I should have gotten the hint when in 1984 I purchased a Tandy CoCo 2 and wrote a basic program to track my calls for service (at first using a cassette - then moved to the big world of a 5 1/4 floppy) at an apartment complex that I was working security at).
Been retired out of it for a while (but still do some work related to it), and have a setup now at the house several smalls businesses would kill for.:p

So if I pen tested that city, how well would it survive? :P

So if I pen tested that city, how well would it survive? :p
Pretty well. When I retired we had an IT audit done - just some niggling stuff was brought up, and they even told the city it was because they were having me do to much.;)
Been gone since 2002, so I take no responsibility for where they are now.:LOL:

This is EXACTLY where I got into it at, and progressing forward by helping some IT that were being paid to do it (I just volunteered time) until i got the hang of it.

There's a huge difference between being an intern until you know the ropes, and being hired as THE "go to" guy with no experience or advanced knowledge at all.

If this woman is going to hire someone with no experience she is obviously OK with learning as they go. He's not going to command the billing rate of experienced guys or gals. It's a risk, you win some you lose some, such is business.

1 x Internet Connection
1 x Internet Router (the ISP should provide one usually)
1 x Firewall (if not part of the router)
1 x X port switch (where X is the number of ports required for everything current plus a couple of years expansion)
1 x Server (you can buy a server preinstalled with Windows Server Essentials, includes Exchange, Active Directory etc. all on one box)
X number of PCs, screens, keyboards and mice.
X number of licenses for Microsoft Office Professional (check out volume licensing pricing too - usually cheaper than retail)
X number of printers (ensure it supports LAN)
X number of anti-virus licenses.

Hi Chris, just out of interest - where would you recommended buying a server from as you described in this post? I fancy buying something to have a play around with.

What BOP said is basically what the situation is because I even suggested to the woman to go to employflorida.com and hire an IT guy who was a veteran cause at least they'll be at work on time. The fact that she wants me to do it tells me that she believes in me from talking to me in person and maybe she sees something in me that most of you don't. The fact that she would rather choose me and does not want a server tells me that she is not that concerned with having a super professional setup and is actually more worried about how to do stuff when I'm gone. She even told me she wants me to teach my best friend who is her business partner how to do it all if I decide to leave.

I am not doing this because I expect to get paid at the full rate of an IT guy. I like challenges and can do anything I put my mind too not because my mind tells me that, but because my experience tells me that. One of the many reasons I want to do this is that I hope to run my own business someday.

I posted this topic on another forum and they actually suggested what phone setup to use, something that was mostly ignored in this thread. There wasn't any 'elitist' type replies either other than 'hire a contractor' and 'pay me to do it or give you advice' lol

..says the person that post his reply as code lol :ROFLMAO:
how is that elitism?

I am not implying that I am better than someone because I can do that, I was pointing out that I could not do that when I started here at XF and it was someone saying basically that I sucked and shouldn't write code that made me strive to put my digital foot up their ass.

If you included the rest of that sentence ....
I can't even begin to address the level of self centered elitism in this thread...ohh wait ever since someone insulted me and told me I cant do something I learned how to express it...

Code:
if(preg_match('#(?P<pattern>(elitism|godcomplex)(\/unwarrantedDisrespect)?)#siu', $threadContent, $match))
        {

if($match['pattern'] === $thisThread)
            {      

$prefix = 'Laugh at people with __INSERT__ issues ';

$finalOutput = str_replace(array('__INSERT__'), array($match['pattern']), $prefix);

return $finalOutput;
            }
}
and read the whole post as one idea...you would realize that, but I am sorry if you don't understand that and that I conveyed that idea at a forum full of WEBMASTERS who deal with code everyday, regardless of skill level. My post was meant as encouragement to Dre who should not be listening to people who say don't do something as he should be listening to people who actually give advice rather than the people using this thread as an opportunity to grandstand.

I also did not post that with intention to knock a 6 ft man to the ground so I could stand on him and gain six inches of height, the other way around actually...I posted it BECAUSE I saw pedestal jumping going on and it disgusts me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom