1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.3 Anniversary Badge / Award - How To Automate?

Discussion in 'Styling and Customization Questions' started by ProCom, Jun 12, 2014.

1. ProCom

ProCom Active Member

I'd like to display a custom image / badge / award for our members with certain years anniversaries on our forum.

Is the best way to automatically do this to do the following:
    1. Create a new usergroup called "5 year award"
    2. Create a new user banner and custom css image for the group: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/user-ranks-with-images.2054/
    3. Setup an automated promotion so that when a member hits 5 years they are automatically added into this group
    Is this the best way to do this?

2. ProCom

ProCom Active Member

Doh, I think I already discovered a problem...

If the user gets promoted for "5 Year Award" and then gets to "6 Year Award" there doesn't seem to be an automated way to remove their "5 year award" (i.e., remove them from that group when promoted to the other group). Is this accurate?

3. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You can use "User is NOT a member of any of the selected user groups:" for the 5 year promotion and set it as the 6 year group.

Once they get promoted to the 6 year group, the 5 year promotion will be removed.

ProCom likes this.
  4. ProCom

ProCom Active Member

Thanks @Brogan !

Sorry for this follow up question, but I just want to make sure I understand: What causes the 5 year promotion to be automatically removed as the 6 year is applied? Is it either because:
    1. The 5 year group promotion removes itself when the criteria is no longer met?
    2. Something in the 6 year promotion removes the 5 year award?
    I'm guessing it's something in #2, but this makes me wonder how to ensure that other groups are also not removed, but just a single group is removed during the promotion?

Hopefully that makes sense?

5. Brogan

It is this: "User is NOT a member of any of the selected user groups".

The promotion will only be applied if the user is not a member of user group 6.

6. ProCom

ProCom Active Member

Ok, but I'm still confused how someone is automatically demoted out of a group.

For example: Let's say a moderator is automatically promoted to group "5 year" and then a year later I want them removed from group "5 year" into group "6 year" , how is that done?

7. Brogan

I'm not sure where the confusion arises.

If a member is registered for 5 years, the 5 year promotion will be applied.

When they are registered for 6 years, the 6 year promotion will be applied.

As the 5 year promotion has "User is NOT a member of any of the selected user groups - 6" set, they will automatically be demoted from the 5 year promotion as they are now a member of user group 6.

ProCom likes this.
  8. ProCom

ProCom Active Member

Ok, thanks for the clarification Brogan... I was reading that wrong.

So, the cron will run and:
    1. Apply the 5 year promotion
    2. A year later...
    3. Apply the 6 year promotion
    4. Then the 5 year promotion will run and see that the user is also in the 6 year group and remove the 5 year group
    Am I correct now?

(thanks for your patience) :)

9. Brogan

Yes, that is correct.

10. ProCom

ProCom Active Member

Wow, brilliant!

I LOVE XF!!!

Thanks @Brogan