Animated GIF avatars

From Zend Server:

Screen shot 2011-07-08 at 20.56.34.webp

L
Yes we do... read the other thread in the bugs forum.

OK, let me just ask you something then. If your using WampServer, or another home server package. When you start the server have you checked your PHP Error logs to make sure the module is being loaded without any errors shown in it, such as module could not be found or loaded e.t.c. As the php_imagemagick module has to be the right one for the PHP version your using.

I had to get a specific imagemagick module for my PHP 5.2. All others tried first before the one I use now gave errors in PHP Error log file. Keep in mind that not any old php imagemagick module is guaranteed to work for you, and if your using ImageMagick Q16 instead of Q8, so the php module should match that also Q16 or Q8.

I'm just trying to be helpful here for people running home server on Windows because ImageMagick can be a real big pain to set-up, you may think you have it set-up right when in fact you've not and the module you use is not for you. Check PHP error logs after enabling the imagemagick php module first, then restarting your server. If you logs are clean it working fine, if you see errors related to it. It's not working and failed to load!

I was able to get this installed on my server but I'm having some odd behavior with it. I uploaded an animated avatar and it worked, every size of my avatar was animated (which was kind of weird looking, felt like the harry potter moving picture frames). However, when I went back to try and add a new avatar, no matter what I did I could not get rid of my current animated avatar. I tried other animated avatars as well as regular static images, nothing seemed to work.

It just kept spitting out this error:
The following error occurred:
The image could not be processed by the server. Please try another or contact the site owner.

I switched back to the default image processor and was able to replace my current animated avatar instantly.

Anyone have any idea why this might be happening with Imagick?

This is what I did (Gentoo):
1) emerge media-gfx/imagemagick
2) emerge dev-php5/pecl-imagick
3) Open php.ini, add 'extension=imagick.so'
4) Restarted php-fpm & nginx.

Haven't done any further configuration except for what's listed above. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I'm trying to get this working on my site and when I try to upload a gif it just hangs.

Running a VPS with WHM and cPanel.

Installed PECL on WHM, then installed Imagick

It seems to be recognized as it's found in the PHP Info

5oT82.png

I've selected ImageMagick PECL Extension in the ACP, yet I'm still getting the hanging when trying to upload.

Any suggestions?

With ImageMagick you can upload and use animated avatars just fine. The only thing: Just the big avatar (shown in the member card for ex.) stays animated, all other sizes (s, m) will still be converted as static images.

I'm slightly confused - are ImageMagick and imagick the same thing or two things that need to be installed?

On WHM in Main >> Software >> Install a Perl Module I have Image::Magick 6.77 listed as being installed, then in the PHP Info it says I have imagick module 3.0.1 enabled.

With ImageMagick you can upload and use animated avatars just fine. The only thing: Just the big avatar (shown in the member card for ex.) stays animated, all other sizes (s, m) will still be converted as static images.

The reason why I want to switch from PHP built-in GD image library to ImageMagick is so that gifs stay animated at all sizes, like on GamerExit

Should I make sure that internal_data and data is chmodded to 777 including their sub directories?

Currently internal_data and data are both chmodded to 777, but their sub directories aren't.

imagick is the extension for php, ImageMagick is the image processing module.

our internal_data folder is set as 755 as is the structure below it.

What images are you trying to upload, size of the image can matter if you see Mike's post in my thread I linked.

imagick is the extension for php, ImageMagick is the image processing module.

our internal_data folder is set as 755 as is the structure below it.

What images are you trying to upload, size of the image can matter if you see Mike's post in my thread I linked.

Yeah, I saw that post. I was trying a 257kb gif, and so I tested the smaller 35kb stickman one and it still doesn't work :(

Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/*******/public_html/library/XenForo/Image/ImageMagick/Pecl.php on line 243

Thats the error that is returning to me when trying to upload a avatar. I was actually having the same issue the other night even though it didn't take 30 seconds to see it didn't work, more like 15 seconds or so. Anyhow my host ended up trying to figure it, ended up setting max_execution_time to 300. My also make sure you have restarted the server.

Edit: also changed max_input_time to 300

Awesome, thank you!

Just in case anyone else has this issue I had to connect via SSH using WinSCP to edit the php.ini file in /usr/local/lib as per Qwk86gn's post.

I think my VPS struggles a bit with the conversion though, as strangely enough I can't get either of those stick figure gifs to upload, yet the 256kb gif I was originally trying to upload worked after about 30 seconds. The load on the server went up to 14 when processing o_O

At least I know it works now, might be time for a CPU upgrade.

Can anyone answer why XF chooses to use this process to create various sized avatars instead of just re sizing the same one? Having the server convert to three different sizes and then have 3 files to download instead of one seems inefficient?

Working now!

There was a explanation of why they went the route they did for animated images and image processing but I don't recall the exact reason.

What to do if you know you have ImageMagick and the module installed on your hosting service - HostGator. myBB detects/users it fine as did Coppermine Gallery on my old setup (and my current setup on my other site) but when you try to use the settings in the Xenforo Admin CP it is grayed out, like it is not detected.

Top Bottom