1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An unexpected error occurred. Please try again later -> After Upgrading To PHP 5.

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by TheBigK, May 29, 2013.

1. TheBigK

TheBigK Well-Known Member

Mod Note: The Thread Title Need PHP version : 5.4.15, instead of 5. Sorry :)

I'm performing a test upgrade of my latest Xenforo on a clone server. I successfully upgraded php from 5.2 -> 5.4.15 and the other test server details are as follows.

Apache version: 2.2.24
    PHP version:5.4.15

MySQL version: 5.0.96-community

After upgrading the site, I'm getting "An unexpected error occurred. Please try again later." on the site.

I've few questions:

1. What's the right way to fix that error?

2. What's the latest MySQL version I can upgrade to without worrying about errors.

3. If there are issues running 5.4.15; which is the latest PHP I can upgrade to without worrying about errors?
  2. ENF

ENF Well-Known Member

1) Need more details. Check your error logs for PHP and your server.

2) We've been running MySQL 5.5.30 without any issues. (test box has 5.6.x, not really done much with it yet)

3) No problems noted with 5.4.15 (that I have seen).

Overall, you shouldn't have any problem with the PHP version. Something may be misconfigured somewhere.

3. TheBigK

1. I had server admin look at the logs; but there's nothing he could find. I'll check with him again.

2. By the way - the upgrade process is smooth; right? Do we need to change anything while heading over from PHP 5.2 - 5.4?
  4. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Well-Known Member

What version of xF? There is a small bug in versions 1.1.3 and prior (maybe 1.1.4?) that if you have debug enabled in config.php, it throws some error notices in the admin.php section, but I don't think that would result in the xF default you're seeing.

I made the upgrade from 5.2 to 5.3, and eventually to 5.4, but I don't recall anything out of the ordinary other than the debug problem above.
  5. TheBigK

1.1.5. I read a few posts that say it works perfectly. I'm however not able to go beyond
  6. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Well-Known Member

Can you get into your admin.php section and see if there are any error logs there, or do you get the same error message?

I assume you are running apache and it's been restarted?
  7. TheBigK

Nope, getting the same error all over the site. Even admin.php throws the same error. I even checked the page source of the error - but it's got just the message and nothing else.

Currently MySQL is being upgraded.
  8. TheBigK

Yeah, we did try restarting apache. Right now MySQL is being upgraded and my server admin says -

9. ENF

ENF Well-Known Member

yeah, then you'll need to wait.
    I was going to suggest checking that the PHP libraries for MySQL were loaded correctly after the PHP upgrade.
    SneakyDave and TheBigK like this.
  10. The Forum Heroes

The Forum Heroes Well-Known Member

Are you using anything like Memcache or APC, if so the PECL for them needs to be recompiled.
    TheBigK likes this.
  11. TheBigK

I'll check with the admin.

MySQL upgrade has failed in the meantime. The admin's looking into it.
  12. TheBigK

Thanks a lot folks! Recompiling memcached for PHP solved the error. The site seems to be working fine. Will perform upgrade on my live server soon :).
    The Forum Heroes likes this.
  13. The Forum Heroes

Good deal, glad my suggestion helped :)
  14. TheBigK

One more question :)

I'm trying to install lightspeed on my server which currently runs apache. Is it necessary to stop apache (or uninstall it) before I attempt to install lightspeed? Or will lightspeed automatically replace apache on port 80?
  15. The Forum Heroes

Are you using the cPanel plugin or compiling by source?
  16. TheBigK

17. The Forum Heroes

18. TheBigK

...and it installs the server for me, right? o_O or I'll still need manual install?
  19. TheBigK

Yeah it does! WOW!

Mike, You're Jake Bunce II!
    SneakyDave likes this.
  20. The Forum Heroes

You'll need to install it, but it is easier and you get a GUI panel..

Ok first in ssh do nano /var/cpanel/cpanel.config

find maxmem= and change 256 to 1024 and save

service cpanel restart

Ok go into WHM and go to the LS panel link

Ok after you see the link, click it..

Starting from the left your gonna be doing all 3 circles you see in the screenshot

Ok 1st one, if you already have a key enter it there. If not browse to where you downloaded trial.key on your computer. Do not switch from Apache yet.

Once that installs you'll see it says 4.2.2 and new version in avail.. that's because it is a bug, click it and then click on force reinstall, now you'll really have 4.2.2 and not the visual bugged 4.2.1

ok second circle.. enable easy apache intergration

third circle, recompile php.. be sure to check off the check box too.

Once done, click the change to litespeed link and your off!
    SneakyDave likes this.