Implemented  An indicator to show that you've posted in a thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kim

Hello there

Is there currently a way of graphically indicating which topics one has participated in? I don't seem to see anything like that myself (FF 3.6.8)

If not, can we have a "dot" indicator of some kind.

Thanks!

Kim

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
just noticed, but i've a request: if you put your mouse onto the the tiny avatar you got a response that said how many post you made in this thread: so the request is: if i select the tiny avatar can i get my posts instead the member card?
That would add inconsistency because anywhere there is your avatar, a user expects to see the member card.

I just noticed this now, it is actually quite usable, more than I thought it would be.. well done Chaps :)

I guess we shall wait and see...I wasn't a big fan of the first implementation, but it does look better now. It looks like this second one is a little different/stands out more - maybe the size and shadow? I also noticed that you're now including the mini-me on your own threads also. That helps. I probably won't really know whether or not I like it until I see a big mix of threads I have and have not posted in.

Just hoping this isn't one of thoses cases where you add something flashy/innovative that gets in the way of productivity.

I know some of you are going to hate it, but give it some time to sink in. Everybody is resistant to change at first.

The thinking behind it:

We could have used a generic blob to indicate that you have posted in a thread, but everyone does that, and if a blob is acceptable, it de-facto means that you consider the content of the indicator to be unimportant.

Using your own avatar allows the display to be personal to you, and while the image is too small to pick out details, that's not the intention. You should be able to recognise the colours and basic forms from your avatar without a problem. The mini-avatars are now 20px instead of their previous 16px, which goes a long way to making them more recognisable.

The intention of the graphic is to differentiate threads that you have posted in from threads you have not, at a glance. I believe that the current implementation does that in a unique way.

The long and the short of it is that I like this implementation and I believe the reasoning behind it is sound. If you disagree, we have a wonderful template system that allows you to change any of this stuff very simply on your own installation.

Thanks for your clear explanation, appreciated! Indeed, the reasoning behind it is very sound and I already liked the idea (in line with the great social aspect of XenForo) in theory about using a mini-avatar. In the previous implementation however it didn't work that good in practice, so thanks for listening to our endless debates and improving it. It works indeed better now for me, because it solves one of the issues of them being a bit small. Great.

Something else to note: the avatar gives you the impression that the icon is related to you, which it is. I don't see an arrow or a dot as giving a useful representation, and can actually be misleading. (Is the arrow a redirect?) It should be more intuitive to the average user, IMO, without the need for a legend.

I certainly agree with that point (not want to mislead/needing a legend) indeed. But, for this there is a workaround/solution. You do not need a legend, because if you want to use an generic icon, the end user really has more then enough guidance to find out what it means: They just have to mouse over the little icon and then they can read: 'You have posted 7 messages in this thread'. It is obvious by then what it means.

just noticed, but i've a request: if you put your mouse onto the the tiny avatar you got a response that said how many post you made in this thread: so the request is: if i select the tiny avatar can i get my posts instead the member card?
That's a pretty massive feature request and would involve a lot of new code - I'd suggest you post it as a new thread in the suggestions forum.

Do you mean per thread or per forum? I think it is implemented just not shown. If you mean search for your posts per thread i don't think that's here yet.

http://xenforo.com/community/search/member?user_id=242&content=post
That's a pretty massive feature request and would involve a lot of new code - I'd suggest you post it as a new thread in the suggestions forum.

OK i'll write another thread about this ... :)

ps. @Brandon: yes i meant per thread ...

I probably won't really know whether or not I like it until I see a big mix of threads I have and have not posted in.

Just hoping this isn't one of thoses cases where you add something flashy/innovative that gets in the way of productivity.

Ok, I've seen enough. I think I'm satisfied now. The tweaks you made to the mini-me's for this go 'round are enough to make them stand out to me. Kudos :)

How useful is that going to be? Without the context provided by the previous posts I don't see how this would be a benefit.
I don't think it would be very useful as you said without previous context it would have no meaning. That wasn't my suggestion, it was Kurtz ask him why :P

Ok, I've seen enough. I think I'm satisfied now. The tweaks you made to the mini-me's for this go 'round are enough to make them stand out to me. Kudos :)

Well, two of the biggest (I am counting in myself) 'complainers' ;) from the previous implementation satisfied! They must do an outstanding job :cool:. Kudos x2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom