Implemented  An indicator to show that you've posted in a thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kim

Hello there

Is there currently a way of graphically indicating which topics one has participated in? I don't seem to see anything like that myself (FF 3.6.8)

If not, can we have a "dot" indicator of some kind.

Thanks!

Kim

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
i knew Peggy, but if i put my mouse hover the tiny avatar (and it tells me that i wrote X posts there) i'll expect which it carries me on these posts ... :)
How would that work? Would it carry you to the first or the last? Or after x seconds automatically scroll to the next one in line?

i knew Peggy, but if i put my mouse hover the tiny avatar (and it tells me that i wrote X posts there) i'll expect which it carries me on these posts ... :)
How or why would it possibly do that? Which post would it carry you to of you've more than one post in that thread?
It's only an indicator, that people have been asking for.

How would that work? Would it carry you to the first or the last? Or after x seconds automatically scroll to the next one in line?

justs like the (main) search results ... nothing more ...

note: i found a redundant issue (IMO): if i wrote/open a new thread i think that's redundant the tiny avatar, cause it's obvious that i've already posted in that thread ... but perhaps this is hard to fix ... :)

See below picture which indicate I've posted in the thread, and the mini avatar(me) shows on the big avatar(somebody who create thread).The whole page won't look tide and clean.
1.webp

Why not change the color of the green circle to red or something else to indicate my post in this thread?

See below picture which indicate I've posted in the thread, and the mini avatar(me) shows on the big avatar(somebody who create thread).The whole page won't look tide and clean.
View attachment 862

Why not change the color of the green circle to red or something else to indicate my post in this thread?

i think the circle is also redundant ... :)

justs like the (main) search results ... nothing more ...

note: i found a redundant issue (IMO): if i wrote/open a new thread i think that's redundant the tiny avatar, cause it's obvious that i've already posted in that thread ... but perhaps this is hard to fix ... :)

Yes, this is logical thinking. In fact, in the previous implementation it was that way actually. But people (like myself) found that in that implementation it became even harder to eye-browse/see at a glance which thread you have been posting in, because suddenly on your own postings this little avatar was gone. It is perfectly logical, but -again- in practice it didn't quite work out in the overall scheme of things. However, maybe in the current situation with the improved little Avatars, it might even work. :) (Yes... what does he want... talking about myself here :p).

I know some of you are going to hate it, but give it some time to sink in. Everybody is resistant to change at first.

The thinking behind it:

We could have used a generic blob to indicate that you have posted in a thread, but everyone does that, and if a blob is acceptable, it de-facto means that you consider the content of the indicator to be unimportant.

Using your own avatar allows the display to be personal to you, and while the image is too small to pick out details, that's not the intention. You should be able to recognise the colours and basic forms from your avatar without a problem. The mini-avatars are now 20px instead of their previous 16px, which goes a long way to making them more recognisable.

The intention of the graphic is to differentiate threads that you have posted in from threads you have not, at a glance. I believe that the current implementation does that in a unique way.

The long and the short of it is that I like this implementation and I believe the reasoning behind it is sound. If you disagree, we have a wonderful template system that allows you to change any of this stuff very simply on your own installation.

Something else to note: the avatar gives you the impression that the icon is related to you, which it is. I don't see an arrow or a dot as giving a useful representation, and can actually be misleading. (Is the arrow a redirect?) It should be more intuitive to the average user, IMO, without the need for a legend.

I like the thinking behind it, but it really looks ugly.
A global small unique icon that is the same to everyone is much better IMO. We don't need a small avatar to get the feeling it's related to us, we only need something to indicate that we've posted in this thread. Anyway, let's give it sometime and see how we are going to feel about.
But I'd like to give us a chance to test and feel a global icon instead of the 'Mini Me'. I think that will be fair. ;)

The long and the short of it is that I like this implementation and I believe the reasoning behind it is sound. If you disagree, we have a wonderful template system that allows you to change any of this stuff very simply on your own installation.

OK OK, I'm not going into considering what customers want/like even if it's not the same as what you like, but at least make it an option in the Admin CP instead of editing the template manually, so we have the option to switch it On or Off. That will be really appreciated. :)

Or .. just get used to it, if it was there from the moment the board opened, nobody had something to compare it against and I am sure everybody would have loved the innovating approach. It's nitpicking over nothing in my opinion.

Time to move on.

... if it was there from the moment the board opened, nobody had something to compare it against...

That is not true, obviously. (Compare it to threads that you have not posted in, compare it to other software... compare it to what your own insight tells that is the best possible solution... etc.)

and I am sure everybody would have loved the innovating approach.

Nope. I love innovating when it supports or even improves usability. Not when it works against it.

It's nitpicking over nothing in my opinion.

That is indeed your opinion :).

Time to move on.

We can now, because we have been listened too and even improvements have been made.

Love it/thank you

I know some of you are going to hate it...

Actually, I love it or let's say really like it now, thanks to the improvements. All of the practical/usability issues I had with them are solved. I can see now this was the best solution, because with making them bigger they are better recognizable and at the same time stand out more (2 benefits in 1: don't have to squeeze your eyes as a new user to get it's your own avatar and next to that the biggest benefit: your eyes do not have to search for them in the threadlist). Now they serve the purpose/reasoning behind it much better, plus it is in line with XenForo's socially innovate design. Best of both worlds.

Thanks again. (<--- the last 2 words I say about it :))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom