Implemented  An indicator to show that you've posted in a thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kim

Hello there

Is there currently a way of graphically indicating which topics one has participated in? I don't seem to see anything like that myself (FF 3.6.8)

If not, can we have a "dot" indicator of some kind.

Thanks!

Kim

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
No offense, but No, That is called a template modification. I'm talking about a switch option/setting. They are two different things. ;)

..... Which does the same thing. The template modification way avoids the clutter that comes with on/off features which may very well be done with a template modification anyways. I think people misunderstand the pros of having a template system and has the mindset that modifying the templates is bad and should be avoided at all costs.

And im gonna have to go with grover and let these be my final words on this topic.

I love the new feature and hopes it stays. :)

I don't have an avatar and the mini-me image on the threads I posted in is a default avatar, too. And it blends too much with the style, especially if the thread starter doesn't have an avatar, too.

Well, I'm glad something finally came out of this. I think this is the longest thing since the Unread Posts saga.

Now I have to go find my cane...

I know some of you are going to hate it, but give it some time to sink in. Everybody is resistant to change at first.

The thinking behind it:

We could have used a generic blob to indicate that you have posted in a thread, but everyone does that, and if a blob is acceptable, it de-facto means that you consider the content of the indicator to be unimportant.

Using your own avatar allows the display to be personal to you, and while the image is too small to pick out details, that's not the intention. You should be able to recognise the colours and basic forms from your avatar without a problem. The mini-avatars are now 20px instead of their previous 16px, which goes a long way to making them more recognisable.

The intention of the graphic is to differentiate threads that you have posted in from threads you have not, at a glance. I believe that the current implementation does that in a unique way.

The long and the short of it is that I like this implementation and I believe the reasoning behind it is sound. If you disagree, we have a wonderful template system that allows you to change any of this stuff very simply on your own installation.
Seen this for the first time today (mustn't have been online when it was tried previously) and despite not knowing beforehand what it was, it was immediately crystal clear to me what it meant.

This is an innovative, simple yet visually appealing way of achieving this, and I hope it's kept. It look fantastic.

I love it to be honest... sometimes icons are to hard to notice which you've posted in, having a clear distinction of something that is familiar to you is awesome!

If you don't like this feature then I'm assuming you have an ugly avatar :) JK :)

I am not entirely sure why it lists that I posted in a thread I started though ;)

I am not entirely sure why it lists that I posted in a thread I started though ;)
They fixed it the first time they had the mini-avatars... not sure why it's back though. :confused:

Edit: Brandon could be right... it would make sense to keep it there for consistency, so you can easily recognize threads you've posted in by quickly scanning the column for a mini-avatar.

They fixed it the first time they had the mini-avatars... not sure why it's back though. :confused:

Edit: Brandon could be right... it would make sense to keep it there for consistency, so you can easily recognize threads you've posted in by quickly scanning the column for a mini-avatar.
But the thread starter is you, and you'll recognize your own avatar (or should). It then goes without saying that you obviously posted in it if you started it. :confused:

But the thread starter is you, and you'll recognize your own avatar (or should). It then goes without saying that you obviously posted in it if you started it. :confused:

When scanning the list, one may merely look for the presence of a mini-avatar. Not whose avatar is in the larger box.

Also, Disjunto raises a great point.

It felt weird when at first when they didn't include the mini-me's on my own threads. I couldn't quickly glance at the list and see threads I've participated in...If you don't include the mini-me on your own threads, then your brain has to consciously look for 2 things (mini me and your large avatar) as opposed to just one (mini-me)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom