American NSA Out Of Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caliburn

I was just reading the news and the following two articles left me speechless. I consider both of these programs to be completely unconstitutional and incompatible with American ideals. I know I spent the morning emailing my congressmen and senators about this. I hope more people raise the noise on this as well. These programs have to stop. What do you guys think?

The Guardian said:
The National Security Agency is currently collecting the telephone records of millions of US customers of Verizon, one of America's largest telecoms providers, under a top secret court order issued in April. The order, a copy of which has been obtained by the Guardian, requires Verizon on an "ongoing, daily basis" to give the NSA information on all telephone calls in its systems, both within the US and between the US and other countries.
SOURCE: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/06/nsa-phone-records-verizon-court-order

It gets better than that:

The Washington Post said:
The National Security Agency and the FBI are tapping directly into the central servers of nine leading U.S. Internet companies, extracting audio, video, photographs, e-mails, documents and connection logs that enable analysts to track a person’s movements and contacts over time.
SOURCE: http://www.washingtonpost.com/inves...-11e2-8845-d970ccb04497_story.html?tid=pm_pop

5 years ago I said The Government was going to do this.

1 year ago I said it here on XenForo.com

Everyone I said this to and everywhere I said this on.... Said I had a tin foil hat on and that America would never do this.

So.... Questions....

5 years ago I said The Government was going to do this.

1 year ago I said it here on XenForo.com

Everyone I said this to and everywhere I said this on.... Said I had a tin foil hat on and that America would never do this.

So.... Questions....

I've been saying it for years now as well but everyone said I was a "conspiracy" nut. I've always said Facebook and social media are the greatest internet evils ever created. Can we please legitimately discuss removing support for the now proven NSA friendly Facebook functionality in xenForo?

Also on another note... aside from writing, emailing, and calling the elected officials in our area what else can we do? We must demand these programs be dismantled.

---

Also a lot of us KNEW this was going on but I'll be honest the scope has caught me off guard considering we're supposed to have constitutional protections against this.

Time to move to Yellowstone,

Denies are out from the companies, lol,
Code:
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/technology/2013/06/prism-companies-start-denying-knowledge-nsa-program-collecting-their-users-data/65996/

Nothing to be surprised about :) It's been more then 2 years most of the ISP companies are already helping government with that task as well .

Can we please legitimately discuss removing support for the now proven NSA friendly Facebook functionality in xenForo?

No, we can not. Many of us use this function and shouldn't be considered just cause the tin foil is getting a bit tight on a few people. If the NSA concerns you that much, then maybe you should reconsider the activities you choose to take part in. If your law abiding, then NSA shouldn't be a concern.

No, we can not. Many of us use this function and shouldn't be considered just cause the tin foil is getting a bit tight on a few people. If the NSA concerns you that much, then maybe you should reconsider the activities you choose to take part in. If your law abiding, then NSA shouldn't be a concern.

If you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to fear. Am I right?

So you're okay with these privacy violations? You're okay with the death of the 4th Amendment?

Well that facility is in Utah. Area 51 is in Nevada. A-51 has actually been decommissioned and the important assets relocated to a classified facility in Colorado (not NORAD).

You're okay with the death of the 4th Amendment?

I don't see this as a threat to search and seizure. Obama has tried to pass far worse including allowing Feds to write their own search warrants. Furthermore NSA only uses this to the search for evidence of terrorist plots. Like I said, if your not involved in illegal activity, NSA shouldn't be a concern. They already been gathering this info since shortly after 9/11, it was just made more public now. Besides everyone knows the Guardian has the most layers of foil of anyone on their hats. If your really that concerned, move your e-mail out of US jurisdiction.

I don't see this as a threat to search and seizure. Obama has tried to pass far worse including allowing Feds to write their own search warrants. Furthermore NSA only uses this to the search for evidence of terrorist plots. Like I said, if your not involved in illegal activity, NSA shouldn't be a concern. They already been gathering this info since shortly after 9/11, it was just made more public now. Besides everyone knows the Guardian has the most layers of foil of anyone on their hats. If your really that concerned, move your e-mail out of US jurisdiction.

And what about our videos on YouTube? Our pictures on Facebook? Searches made on Bing, Yahoo, & Google? The problem is they're collecting literally everything we do on the internet. Collecting the phone records of every single American citizen. It's going into a database for long term storage. I'm sorry but when I share photos over the Internet with my S.O or intimate details revolving around our lives I expect these communications to remain private. These are SERIOUS violations of our 4th Amendment. As a person from Indiana I don't understand why you can accept this as nothing serious. I just don't understand it.

And what about our videos on YouTube? Our pictures on Facebook? Searches made on Bing, Yahoo, & Google? The problem is they're collecting literally everything we do on the internet. Collecting the phone records of every single American citizen. It's going into a database for long term storage. I'm sorry but when I share photos over the Internet with my S.O or intimate details revolving around our lives I expect these communications to remain private. These are SERIOUS violations of our 4th Amendment. As a person from Indiana I don't understand why you can accept this as nothing serious. I just don't understand it.

Like i said your reading too far into it.. Your believing an article from the Guardian to be 100% fact. I see this as a really good thing as if this turns out to even be 50% true, that can be grounds to impeach Obama. As far as YouTube and FaceBook, I hope the gov is enjoying watching my ferrets at play as that's all I'd ever post on the internet.

I assume you don't share private stuff with other people online you don't really know. Stuff about your family, about your bank account, about health problems you might have or have had in the past, sexual preferences, whether your current relationships are working well or not, maybe about (previous) sexual or psychological diseases for you or with the people you know. To name some random subjects.

Most likely you would keep most of this stuff rather private. You'd definitely not broadcast this to everyone you meet, especially online. There's a reason for that. And a good one at that. But I doubt it is because you're a terrorist during the nighttime and fear the FBI will get you if you tell others about the subjects mentioned before. I think so at least, otherwise you definitely would be surprising me.

The point is: "if you didn't do anything wrong, you shouldn't care whether people check on everything you do" is a crappy situation to be in. It also promotes abuse of power. Or increasing usage of that power. For example, I think most people would be okay with checking in on terrorists or pedophiles. I mean, we all hate them anyway. Murders are probably fine too. But then, what comes next? Thieves, perhaps. Okay, cool. And then? Piracy? Cheating on a math test in school? Doing drugs? Lying to your mother about a party? Having a different political opinion than the ones that rule the country? It's a slippery slope, and before you know it, you could suddenly be next. And by that point, there's no way back. It wouldn't be the first time in history that these kind of things happen.

Now, this is not too likely to happen in America, or Europe, especially not in the short run. On the other hand, a lot of big companies and governments want as much information as they can get. This all ready happens, in increasingly big amounts. Those adds google serve you are not so specific without reason. Between google services, they probably know more about you and your preferences, than many people you know in real life do.

Should we all start panicking? Nah. Is it good to be informed about this stuff and possibly discuss what's going on, where it could lead to and where it's leading right now...? I think so, yes. Knowing is usually better than not knowing, and these kind of discussions can be quite interesting. And calling everyone who cares about privacy and its limits "tin foils" is a bit of an insulting way to talk.

Like i said your reading too far into it.. Your believing an article from the Guardian to be 100% fact. I see this as a really good thing as if this turns out to even be 50% true, that can be grounds to impeach Obama. As far as YouTube and FaceBook, I hope the gov is enjoying watching my ferrets at play as that's all I'd ever post on the internet.

It's not just the Guardian though. It's The Washington Post, etc.

To be honest it's becoming scary to me what's happening in the US, even though it doesn't affect me directly (not yet anyway). I feel sad about it because I can see the evolution that's happening quite clearly. It's becoming less free and more fascist every day and that's not a exaggeration. The thing that made the difference between the USA and the rest of the world was their constitution which unfortunately has become a dead letter. Republicrats and demopublicans seem to mostly agree on this one. This has removed any limitations for the government to grow out of control. A good thing for politicians who naturally want more power, a very dangerous thing for the people.

I don't necessarily agree with what's going on, but that's an extremely naive approach to privacy online. You should assume any information you share is public and permanent. The very nature of the Internet makes it inherently non-private, ie., a bunch of "servers" SHARING information.

It's not the lack of privacy that's necessarily the problem (though, in an ideal world better privacy online would be nice), but this expectation of privacy where none has never really existed.

I'm scared!! They are trampling on my rights!!

Tin_foil_hat_2.webp

:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom