Alter Ego Detector

Alter Ego Detector 1.7.8

No permission to download
Well I dont want them to bypass further checks - I only want to make sure the cookie gets re-written/reset after they got warned.

this will create three new reports, but user B may be his real account where as user A may be another one.

So - after I warned them, I want to make sure the dont get reported again and therefore deleting/resetting their cookie.

//I just realized the Option "redeploy cookie" does prevent exactly this from happening :)
Always nice when you realize a feature you'd like is already build in ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Xon
A simple detection by IP or normal cookie has always created a ton of work for my staff. We have thousands of multiple account reports and need a part time moderator just to process duplicate accounts.

Staff need to determine if the match relates to a true duplicate account or not, by doing a number of checks. For example:
- ignore reports on dynamic IPs
- compare profile data
- check if any accounts are warned
- if accounts have posts and are awaiting email confirmation, then merge and contact member.
- if accounts are duplicate and concern new or banned accounts then ban users.
- if profiles are duplicate and user is valid user, then merge accounts and warn user.
- if it concerns many accounts, then review and ban.

These steps could largely be automated. Does anyone have a solution that automates this to some degree?

I totally understand, but at the same time this stuff is challenging to automate in the context of this add-on. This add-on will need a significant rewrite to better track alter-ego matches over time, and posting behaviour (which is very site dependant!).

A lot of these steps are sites specific policy and between the two sites I write add-ons predominately for; Sufficient Velocity and Space Battles both have different enough alter-ego handling procedures I haven't had time to dig into the similarities and build automation which supports both,

These steps could largely be automated. Does anyone have a solution that automates this to some degree?
We would love to automate this too... but in the interim, we are using a combination of this addon: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/wmtech-sticky-multiple-account-info.3101/, DP Better Analytics (GA ID population) & DragonByte's Security product (various login and client monitoring).

It still requires a staff member to go through and clear the queue when additional accounts are found, but the combo of these three are fairly effective.

(The WMTech one hasn't been updated in a year, but he's still active here and it works fine on 1.5.12 + PHP 7 compatibility)

We only create threads on alter egos. It would be really cool if multiple threads (posts) would be merged into one. :)

Hey, would it be possible to encrypt the userIDs?
I suspect that some users found out how it works .. Looks like they use that against some other users by changing their cookies userIDs manually.

So.. would it be possible to encrypt the ID's? (Can modify it for myself, but I thought it might be also helpful to others to prevent this from Happening)

One feature we could use for this add-on would be to have staff accounts be exempt or, alternately, a way to enter a list of user IDs which would be exempt. We use a type of "customer service" account for posting general announcements, as well as an administrator announcement account for the same purpose.

One feature we could use for this add-on would be to have staff accounts be exempt or, alternately, a way to enter a list of user IDs which would be exempt. We use a type of "customer service" account for posting general announcements, as well as an administrator announcement account for the same purpose.
Just set-up a usergroup (Alter-ego Bypass) that has the bypasses permission set:

upload_2017-4-4_19-58-41.webp

... and add it as a secondary group to anyone you want to be excluded. (y)

Would it be possible to pass a linked IP Address into the report/message/post?

Something like this? Could help greatly reduce the number of clicks to investigate an IP Address.
On login, it looks like @thisuser1 is an alter ego of @thisuser2...

Triggered detection methods:
- Ip 10.11.12.255

Would it be possible to pass a linked IP Address into the report/message/post?

Something like this? Could help greatly reduce the number of clicks to investigate an IP Address.
Edit the phrase "aed_detection_method_ip" to be "IP {ip}" and it will include the IP, but not generate a link to it.

In XF1, Report's do not support bbcode so you can't easily link to it.

I have removed this add-on. Staff was tired of having reports pop up time and again that we had already dealt with. They already deal with dozens of reports per day, and having more was just frustrating everyone, including myself. And having to use a workaround by adding them to yet another usergroup (out of the dozens we already have) is not an acceptable solution. This just had too many issues to be practical.

ErrorException: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() - library/LiamW/AlterEgoDetector/ReportHandler/AlterEgo.php:85

@ /admin.php?tools/rebuild choosing Rebuild Search Index and Build content type: Report.

Disable the add-on, and the rebuild works fine.

@ /admin.php?tools/rebuild choosing Rebuild Search Index and Build content type: Report.
Is this using my Report Improvements add-on or another add-on which provides report search?

Disable the add-on, and the rebuild works fine.
This looks to be a damaged report likely from a buggy version , I'll push a fix which works around it.

Top Bottom