Alter Ego Detector

Alter Ego Detector 1.7.8

No permission to download
Is there a way to whitelist a specific IP address?
We've had a few "false positives" pop up with IPs set to be checked, but having that option turned on helps us more when a troublemaker deletes their cookie and tries to return. Being able to whitelist certain IP addresses that we know are OK, some proxies for example, would come in handy to eliminate future false positives.

Any chance this might be added in the future?

@Sonya @SH0CKER would either of you be willing to sponser development of that feature? It would be straight forward to implement, but needs development time allocated against it.

Is there any chance this can get updated to prevent reporting the same members over and over again? We have a group of users that are allowed to have two usernames, but everyday we get loads of "alter ego" reports from these same users that log in every day. It would be nice if we could perhaps exclude a secondary usergroup? Or stop it from reporting the same users every day? Thanks. :)

Is there any chance this can get updated to prevent reporting the same members over and over again? We have a group of users that are allowed to have two usernames, but everyday we get loads of "alter ego" reports from these same users that log in every day. It would be nice if we could perhaps exclude a secondary usergroup? Or stop it from reporting the same users every day? Thanks. :)
You can. Just create a usergroup called 'Alter-ego Bypass' ... and set the alter-ego bypass permission on it - then apply it to the accounts you want to exclude from checking. (y)

You can. Just create a usergroup called 'Alter-ego Bypass' ... and set the alter-ego bypass permission on it - then apply it to the accounts you want to exclude from checking. (y)
Well that was easy, lol, thanks for the tip. :)

It would still be nice to have an option not to report normal members that have been reported previously.

"Resolving" a report will block it from reporting that particular set of users. Alternatively use the 'alter-ego bypass' permission.

Xon updated Alter Ego Detector with a new update entry:

Feature update

Bugfix
  • Ensure the report is bumped on multiple socks against the same user when the report is in a state which is suppressed for sending duplicates reports.
Feature
  • Option to require moderated users todo email confirmation rather than being accepted or rejected.
  • Ability to change detection logic from requiring cookie or IP to cookie and ip, or just matching on cookie.
    • If IP matching is enabled, the IP is now reported.
  • Ability to whitelist...

Read the rest of this update entry...

This is awkward, because we have some members who have upgraded their memberships with a subscription, and I don't want to mess this setup up.

Why not simply have a way to mark the report "Ignore," so it's not flagged again? Among our members, we have one married couple who uses computers on the same ISP. They are flagged regularly.

Among our members, we have one married couple who uses computers on the same ISP. They are flagged regularly.
This is the issue I have as well with quite a few of my members, thus the request for being able to whitelist usernames, in my country we have shared IP's so whitelisting an IP address will not work in my case.

How would it mess up the upgrades?
The current user permissions have been carefully designed to work with our setup over a period of several years. I don't want to go through a silly process just to flag a false positive. Why not a simple "Ignore" checkbox? Why make it harder than it needs to be?

This is awkward, because we have some members who have upgraded their memberships with a subscription, and I don't want to mess this setup up.
It won't impact on any subscriptions or other usergroups - since all you are doing it setting a single permission to allow bypassing of the alter-ego detection. It takes a matter of seconds to create this usergroup, and a few seconds to add it it any user account - and that's it, they won't be reported again.

It is, in effect, the username whitelisting people are talking about. It takes soo little time that by the time you've read my reply you could have the usergroup created and ready to apply! :D
Why make it harder than it needs to be?
It really isn't hard - just login to the ACP, go to the user account, tick the bypass usergroup, save, exit.

Sure, @Xon could probably make this a feature of the add-on and have it as a single-click front-end process, but until he does, this is the most effective way to whitelist specific user accounts and to stop them reappearing in the reports. (y)

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Top Bottom