Alter Ego Detector

Alter Ego Detector 1.7.8

No permission to download
Could someone please explain what the check IPs checkbox setting and associated box of “up to X minutes old” does please?

Could someone please explain what the check IPs checkbox setting and associated box of “up to X minutes old” does please?
On login, it checks if the IP has been used by anyone else in a given timeframe. This is relatively unreliable with NAT and mobile devices. But if you have the cookie trigger and the IP matches it is a reliable signal that it is an alter-ego.

xon will alterego include option to block specific countries in registration or would you be able to make a seperate addon for that ?

- ignore reports on dynamic IPs

I'm curious, how can one ascertain that it is a dynamic IP?

The 'Assignment' in the data shown on http://whatismyipaddress.com/ has been incorrect for me most of the time. This has been reported in their forums:

I've experienced that users living in the same area (and sometimes using the same ISP) have a very high probablity of having the same IP address logged at different times. The cookie check in this add-on is definitely a good additional test.

I would also like to ask what is the recommended practice of establishing duplicate accounts/sock puppets these days on a XenForo based forum? IP checks, cookie checks (thanks @Liam W & @Xon), and checking preferences/personal info/posting style manually? Are there more methods available?

I'm on XF 1.5. Does XenForo have a core feature in the newer versions for detection of multiple accounts?

There appears to be a bug with this add on.

It's making all the forums display as private when I enabled to the exclude from alter ego and show the reports for myself.

See screenshot below:
Screenshot_20171127-230830.webpScreenshot_20171127-210907.webp

There appears to be a bug with this add on.

It's making all the forums display as private when I enabled to the exclude from alter ego and show the reports for myself.

See screenshot below:
View attachment 162627View attachment 162628
This isn't a bug but how XenForo permissions work. Adding a deny on the "view threads by others" at the group level does this by design.

Additionally using a mobile to configure permissions will be difficult, as there is a lot of information and many possible pages you'll need to touch in short succession.

Please post under general Xenforo support if you need assistance with crafting a permissions setup as this is well beyond the scope of this add-on support. Otherwise I can assist at a chargable rate, please PM me for details.

Great add-on to detect multi accounts of regular users, but alas if user is troll he just use VPN in browser like opera and cookie/ip detection would not work well. Logging some additional information (os, display resolution, browser, empty referrer) could be helpfull. Anyway thank you!

Great add-on to detect multi accounts of regular users, but alas if user is troll he just use VPN in browser like opera and cookie/ip detection would not work well. Logging some additional information (os, display resolution, browser, empty referrer) could be helpfull. Anyway thank you!
This add-on really only catches the low hanging fruit, it is reasonably easy to avoid but works well enough.

i find the cookie catches alot but perhaps it does miss some , maybe new version for xf 2 will work better. any idea of release date xon ? really need this now

Top Bottom