Not planned Allow users ignore moderators / administrators

rafass

Scenario: a board where nobody knows who is moderator.
Would be great if there are an easy way to allow users ignore without restrictions.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I don't think this is a good idea. I mean, a moderator wouldn't be able to remind all members in a post about rules or behaviour (just as is need at times here on XenForo) or give out important information - if members had ignored the moderator they wouldn't see the reminder or information posts.

If you don't want people to know who are moderators, then you just disable the "display as staff" option, which is what the ignore block is based on, so that should solve it.

But otherwise, I agree with @Martok in terms that someone who is known to be a moderator/authority figure should not be ignorable to ensure that important information is seen.

I completely disagree.

Why you have to obligate the users to see moderator's stuff if they can easily ignore things of the rest of users?
That old figure and concept of the "Powerful Sheriff intouchable" around with a lot of badges distributing "authority", "justice", bans, warnings, etc..., is exactly the figure I would like to get rid completely on my board.
in my board I want to be a normal user to everyone. not the "big boss"

To sent important notices or messages to the users is easy use only 1 account with the name of your board and your logo. It looks very professional. exactly as the account @XenForo does. I like it. only 1 account is absolutely enough to announce things or sent messages.

I know there are a lot of people who are happy using badges and showing their conditions of moderator, owner, sheriff, etc...to everyone, they love it, others hate it, others simply want to change that concept. (like me)

We are not talking about about personal opinions of personal applications in own forums. we are talking about things that should be optional in Xenforo. (it doesn't hurt anybody)

Make optional this kind of details will improve the quality of the final product. (The software) (Xenforo) that is the important here.

Last edited:
To sent important notices or messages to the users is easy use only 1 account with the name of your board and your logo. It looks very professional. exactly as the account @XenForo does. I like it. only 1 account is absolutely enough to announce things or sent messages.

What if they ignore that account? Then they won't be able to see any important announcements.

I now there are a lot of people who are happy using badges and showing their conditions of moderator, owner, sheriff, etc...to everyone, they love it, others hate it, others simply want to change that concept. (like me)

Then, as Mike stated, uncheck the "Display user as staff" option. That will allow your users to ignore you and your staff and hide the fact that you're staff members.

What is wrong if somebody want to ignore some things? Why you have to obligate users to see things that probably they don't want to see or don't care absolutely anything?
This is what I do when someone want to obligate me to see their, "important things":
gif.gif
The option to ignore content without restrictions can avoid this. ↑ ↑
then you just disable the "display as staff" option, which is what the ignore block is based on, so that should solve it.
Thats what I'm doing now. anyway seems that the nobody can ignore the id 1 (Super Admin). why?
--
In the end, would be great if the ignore system is improved. another thing that is really annoying: the "likes" of the ignored members absolutely everywhere. this is very annoying. but this is another topic.
--
As I said, this area is called "Xenforo Suggestions" Personal opinions about ways to handle own boards are different things. all admins have the rights to do whatever they want in their own forums. but the software, Xenforo, should make optional many things. Give options to other kind of admins with different ideas is great.
Screen shot 2015-06-20 at 3.39.08 PM.webp
This ↑ ↑ doesn't hurt anybody​
There are always people with deferent ideas. Making optional some features will make happy everyone. not just a group of followers.

Differing opinions being expressed is fundamental to thoroughly evaluating a suggestion. You believe your idea is perfect, but someone with a differing opinion can point something out, and the idea evolves.

On a differing note, having disable / enable options for every new feature is detrimental at some. More code to evaluate equates to slower run time, just to see if a feature should be enabled.

Then create a normal user account. Problem solved.
Let's change the scenario... because is normal change the scenarios in your board.

Someday you decide that is necessary show up the moderators.

Some forums / categories have moderators and these moderators have certain functions of moderators in certain areas. you need them.

You have to show up them as moderators / staff members / customer service etc...

But for some weird reason, people can not ignore them.... why? why they have this kind of "super powers"?

Last edited:
On a differing note, having disable / enable options for every new feature is detrimental at some. More code to evaluate equates to slower run time, just to see if a feature should be enabled.
I understand. the performance is very important.
I remember in another topic regarding "likes" of ignore members, a developer explain the same, that this kind of things are very possible but it require more code, conditionals and queries, unfortunately. I understand.
That is another thing that is very annoying. (likes of ignore members) in many communities, some users abuse of the like system and they are all the time clicking "like" absolutely everywhere. but ignoring them you keep seeing their "likes". why?
I love the performance of Xenforo, anyway would be great find out the best way to improve certain things without affect the performance.

Last edited:
But for some weird reason, people can not ignore them.... why? why they have this kind of "super powers"?
Yes, it's a power that comes with being displayed as staff.

There is already a method of doing what you want, and I believe that preventing people from ignoring staff is not an unreasonable requirement to run an effectively moderated forum. As such, I don't see a change happening here.

I don't think this is a good idea.
(n)
What is wrong if somebody want to ignore some things? Why you have to obligate users to see things that probably they don't want to see or don't care absolutely anything?
This is what I do when someone want to obligate me to see their, "important things"
(y)
I would agree with rafass here. I don't like the idea of being forced to being able to see moderator's and admin's messages. The feature of preventing people from ignoring them is not worthy in my opinion.:notworthy: In the gamevial community,it is possible to ignore content by moderators but not staff members!:eek: Again,we should not be forced to listen to admins and moderators(moderators in some forums!) I give that feature(where you can't ignore staff members)a thumbs down!(n)

Last edited:
over the years ive learnt that there is something of a cultural divide between myself and the xf team in regards to moderation, moderators and so on. the only viable solution i have found is to create dedicated moderator accounts, severely lock down their perms, and to assign one to each person i want to be able to moderate. the infraction system created even more problems that i have not been able to satisfactorily overcome.

If anyone is interested, I've written an (unreleased) add-on which lets users ignore staff (with an associated permission).
It also display a list of which users are ignoring staff in the AdminCP.

Created because some users just can't get on with some admins..... We caveat it, saying if you choose to ignore one or more staff, you cannot complain that you didn't see warnings, important info etc.

If you would like a copy, PM me.

Then why have moderators in the first place to watch over your community if they can be ignored? Better don't have any moderators at all (its practically the same thing).

SCENARIO:
- User X breaks the rules.
- Moderator Y lets the user know to stay inline.
- User X cont. to break rules and ignores moderator Y

Leads to all kind of trouble and more drama. XF have already given you the option to do what you want to do, and just my two cents - you won't be a 'big boss' figure just because you show your staff icon/status/can't be ignored by members. Your attitude, how you treat and interact with members, how you train your staff and the guidelines you have for them is what will make you 'regular' along with other members.

So don't look at non-issues, concentrate on the bigger aspects and you'll achieve what you want to. I've been running my forum for 4 years now and none of our Staff or me are seen anything apart from regular members, but are seen as the guiding light when situation requires. A well moderated community lasts longer and has more happy members.

You can easily maintain an atmosphere of equality and not being 'special' by your actions and attitude, you don't need any tools for it and tools won't even help you to be honest.

@Divvens I come from a community where moderators are not staff members so I am able to ignore them. I agree with @lazy llama that there are some staff members that don't get along with some people very well. People should be able to ignore those staff members when listening to the ones they get along with more. In other words,we should be able to choose what staff member to listen to. Divvens,your scenario for equality is not really a good idea when it comes to having staff members you don't get along with very well.(n) Lazy llama,your scenario about not being able to get along with some admins and writing that addon for ignoring staff...you're the best!(y)

Last edited:
It definitely isn't suitable for every forum, but it works okay for us.
Out of almost 50,000 registered users, only 7 are ignoring members of staff.

I'd prefer it if everyone just exercised self-control, but then we wouldn't need any sort of "Ignore" function :)

Well,I guess it is is planned by someone here. Take that,moderator! (That is to a moderator who marked this thread as 'not planned.')
It definitely isn't suitable for every forum, but it works okay for us.
Especially in a forum that only has one staff member(don't worry,we get along fine.)

Last edited:
Situation: user conflicts with the moderator of one of the sub-forums (local). This user wants to ignore him at the rest part of the forum, where they have equal rights. How to do it? The system does not allow to ignore members of the forum team.

Top Bottom