XF 1.1 Permissions and moderators/administrators

Wildcat Media

I'm working on a complete trainwreck of permissions after importing from vB 3.7. Not XF's fault, but so much crap had been set up in vB that it is taking me quite awhile to sort it all out. I'm greatly simplifying everything that I can, getting rid of any extra usergroups I don't need.

And I will say that XF's permissions system rocks...once you wrap your head around it. :D

What is puzzling me now, however: I have all of our staff set up as Super Moderators. This is supposed to give them moderation privileges for every available forum area. Yet, I find that I still have to assign them to a usergroup to enact those permissions. Is this correct?

And if I assign a usergroup, should it be a primary group, or secondary? Seeing how XF's system works, I could do it either way...but I am really tempted to use as few primary groups as I can. If I apply the "Moderating" group to their accounts as secondary, does the custom CSS still apply?

The same applies for administrators although, as I'm now finding, there are some features on the admin side that the entire staff needs access to, so I will be having to set up very limited admin accounts with access to User administration (as one example), and Notices.

Since all staff can access and moderate all areas, I am thinking I don't really need to use the Administrative group all that much since I'll grant moderation permissions using the Super Moderator status and Moderating usergroup to accomplish that. Administrative usergroup may just end up being used to style their usernames, perhaps...

Admin permissions are assigned on a per-user basis:

Admin CP -> Users -> Administrators

Mod permissions can be assigned to entire groups if you wish:

Admin CP -> Users -> List User Groups

Primary / secondary groups are functionally the same. The default in XF is to have everyone as a primary member of Registered.

Admin permissions are assigned on a per-user basis:

Admin CP -> Users -> Administrators

Mod permissions can be assigned to entire groups if you wish:

Admin CP -> Users -> List User Groups

I've done that, but my question is whether or not assigning users as admins or moderators assigns them any permissions. Or in addition, do they always need to be assigned to a usergroup to open up those permissions? I'm thinking the latter.

Primary / secondary groups are functionally the same. The default in XF is to have everyone as a primary member of Registered.
That is the route I was headed when cleaning up the permissions. vB left things in a real mess, as we had to have multiple primary groups with revoked permissions for various member issues (removing PMs, revoking access to forum areas, revoking upload abilities, etc.). XF's is much simpler but takes a bit of work when importing, since it can be made much simpler and cleaner using XF's system. I just have to retrain everyone on how I get the new group set up.

I've done that, but my question is whether or not assigning users as admins or moderators assigns them any permissions. Or in addition, do they always need to be assigned to a usergroup to open up those permissions? I'm thinking the latter.

Mod permissions can be granted by group or by user. Admin permissions are user only.

Top Bottom