Allow duplicate username?

Rico

Hello,

as i asked a view topics below i am planning an integration in an own portal. In this portal each user have it´s own unique userid which will be matched with the userid in Xenforo.

For the username i want to use the real name of the user. But it is possible that we have more users with the same name. i.e. John Smith.

It is possible to use duplicate usernames in Xenforo?

Thank you
Rico

Hello,

as i asked a view topics below i am planning an integration in an own portal. In this portal each user have it´s own unique userid which will be matched with the userid in Xenforo.

For the username i want to use the real name of the user. But it is possible that we have more users with the same name. i.e. John Smith.

It is possible to use duplicate usernames in Xenforo?

Thank you
Rico
It is not possible to do so, because username serves as an identifier of the user.

Yes. I know, but i did´nt need the username as identifier because i have my user-id from my own portal. I have the id in an extra-profile-field. No way to change this to allow duplicate user-names? The user cannot change any information.

Yes. I know, but i did´nt need the username as identifier because i have my user-id from my own portal. I have the id in an extra-profile-field. No way to change this to allow duplicate user-names? The user cannot change any information.
Not without an addon. This addon would also be quite exhaustive since it'll need to change quite a lot of aspects in XenForo.

Some of the top posters on this community use their real names.
I don't mean any disrespect, but I just want everyone to stop and think about it. What if Google+, Yahoo, Facebook, YouTube, etc only allowed a name to be chosen once?

I was excited about xF, but since I have users that use their real name I have put things on hold. I'm actually surprised this wasn't thought of from the beginning, considered how much xF utilizes Facebook features.

This is coming from someone that doesn't even use "social media" (well... I do have a YouTube account)

Some of the top posters on this community use their real names.
I don't mean any disrespect, but I just want everyone to stop and think about it. What if Google+, Yahoo, Facebook, YouTube, etc only allowed a name to be chosen once?

I was excited about xF, but since I have users that use their real name I have put things on hold. I'm actually surprised this wasn't thought of from the beginning, considered how much xF utilizes Facebook features.

This is coming from someone that doesn't even use "social media" (well... I do have a YouTube account)
I think you may be confusing DISPLAY names with USERNAMES (some systems allow you to have both - but the username cannot be one in use by others). No system I know of will allow the same user name to be used (in fact, almost every one I've ever accessed would warn you it was already in use - pick another).
Google DOES only allow one username... that's why my gmail account had to be my lastname.middle intial.firstname - because my first and last name was already taken.

Would it be nice for xenForo to have display names... ehhhhh... not for me personally. Just one more thing to try to keep up with when User A says User B called 'em a nasty name -and they give you User B's name - but there are 4 users with that display name.

I see, I'm off topic from the OP.

Regardless... if one is already using your name, such person can't use it themselves. This isn't an issue on some sites, that allow duplicate display names.

Duplicate display names (ie "Jeremy Dentel" on Facebook) are used on sites that don't allow you to login with them. If it allows you to login, they must be unique for software to distinguish them.

But it would be great, if xF supports an etra DISPLAYNAME, so each user can choose the funktioniality he needs. I had to modificate the forum core not checking for existing UserName and drop the index from the field in the table. A UserID was given from an external Portal and with this Key the user is always unique, doesn´t matter if i have i.e. 1o Paul Smith.

Top Bottom