Alerts

Yeah, I agree it is rather long and I don't personally see the need for a full history of alerts. I could be mistaken and there is an expiration on it (after 7 days or something) and that time just hasn't come yet, but I'm over 70 pages of alerts right now and that seems a little much. :confused:

EDIT: I just checked again and I'm over 100 now. Wow...

Agreed. We probably need a way for old alerts to just expire and go away, especially when you have thousands of them. However, regardless of age, never delete, say, the most recent 20 alerts for any given user.

I´m old, but not that old.
d030.gif

Agreed. We probably need a way for old alerts to just expire and go away, especially when you have thousands of them. However, regardless of age, never delete, say, the most recent 20 alerts for any given user.

Something like keeping the last alerts for a period of a day after they've been read would be fine?

With alot of users and alot of activity it could be pretty much information to save for every user, so something like the 10-20 latest of a user is shown and it auto removes after an certain time after reading it.

Something like keeping the last alerts for a period of a day after they've been read would be fine?

I've got 55 pages of alerts after just a few days of posting here. So I'd say delete all "read" alerts that are older than about 7 days (admin setting of course), but have a secondary condition, that you don't delete alerts for users, even if the alert is older than 7 days, if it will leave the user with fewer than about 20 (another setting) alerts. That way people who visit/participate very haphazardly will still have some alerts of things to follow up on / look at when they come back.

Admins could then adjust their settings, based on how much storage space they want to allow alerts to take up.

Might also have to look at deleting "unread" alerts if they get out of hand-- users who have thousands and thousands of unread alerts.

I've got 55 pages of alerts after just a few days of posting here. So I'd say delete all "read" alerts that are older than about 7 days (admin setting of course), but have a secondary condition, that you don't delete alerts for users, even if the alert is older than 7 days, if it will leave the user with fewer than about 20 (another setting) alerts. That way people who visit/participate very haphazardly will still have some alerts of things to follow up on / look at when they come back.

Admins could then adjust their settings, based on how much storage space they want to allow alerts to take up.

Might also have to look at deleting "unread" alerts if they get out of hand-- users who have thousands and thousands of unread alerts.

/sign
Is a good idea!

I like that approach.

I just did some simple math and I have over 1,620 alerts total so far, and that's after about 6 days of being here. Holy cow... lol

Alerts are removed after a week, if I recall. There are about 20000 alerts currently, which isn't actually that significant in the grand scheme of things.

We don't currently delete unread alerts, but we may have to remove them if they're very old.

Alerts are removed after a week, if I recall. There are about 20000 alerts currently, which isn't actually that significant in the grand scheme of things.

We don't currently delete unread alerts, but we may have to remove them if they're very old.

My notifications page still shows alerts from 29th, over a week ago. Is it not actually a week or is it not working properly?

Top Bottom