Alerts not showing properly ?

erich37

I am "watching" a thread here at xenforo.com

So there is a new reply in this thread. However I did not receive any alert.

Is this normal behaviour or am I still missing something ? :confused:
I still do not understand why I do not get an Alert when there is a reply to a thread I am watching......

no-alert-showing-watched-thread-reply.gif

watching.gif

yeah, I have been reading one reply to that thread via Email, as I choose to receive an Email on new posts in that thread.

However, I find it a bit strange that there are no alerts showing anymore when you do not visit the thread :confused:

O.K., now I get that this is a "feature", but I think it is a feature which is not encouraging forum-conversations.
Because if I am getting fed-up of a certain thread, I could just choose not to watch it anymore and therefore will not receive any alerts anymore.

Sorry, but IMHO this feature does not bring any benefit. :(

yeah, I have been reading one reply to that thread via Email, as I choose to receive an Email on new posts in that thread.

However, I find it a bit strange that there are no alerts showing anymore when you do not visit the thread :confused:

O.K., now I get that this is a "feature", but I think it is a feature which is not encouraging forum-conversations.
Because if I am getting fed-up of a certain thread, I could just choose not to watch it anymore and therefore will not receive any alerts anymore.

Sorry, but IMHO this feature does not bring any benefit. :(
For fast-moving threads, you'd have constant alerts for people replying, then when you click off the thread you will have further alerts that have been sent whilst you've been reading that thread. It's a vicious circle, taking up a lot of database space.

You have commented on this many times before Erich.

yeah I remember now, but that one seemed to me to be a strange example (at least for me).
And I wasn't sure if this could really be an intended feature..... but it obviously is.

Does anyone know of an Add-on in order to change this behaviour ?

Many thanks!

For fast-moving threads, you'd have constant alerts for people replying, then when you click off the thread you will have further alerts that have been sent whilst you've been reading that thread. It's a vicious circle, taking up a lot of database space.

I understand this is may be an advantage in regards to "fast-moving threads" or for busy forums.

But I think it is hindering for smaller forums where you do not have that much action going on.
It is easy for people to miss new posts and then the communication dies off.... and maybe also the Forum itself.

Top Bottom