Alerts don't redirect you to the newest reply sometimes

Affected version

sbj

Hello,

sometimes when I click on an alert, it doesn't redirect me to the newest reply. Often for a thread with a lot of images. Not sure if this is a CDN issue or caching issue or a bug.

As an example:

When I click on the alert which is at the top, it should direct me to the post with number 1352972 as you see on the left bottom corner.

This is the post: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/os-browser-display-for-xenforo-2-x-paid.134528/page-4#post-1352972

Now watch this gif to see what happens (you can click on the gif to enhance it):

As you see me clicking on the alert, it should redirect me to the last reply of that thread and it doesn't.
Then I scroll down to the bottom and click on the post myself, and again it loads back to the middle of the thread instead of showing me the post I clicked on.

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
It's a tricky one. Generally, it shouldn't happen and in my testing on iOS and Chrome it doesn't. There may be specific conditions where it does happen, such as a slow connection, but certainly there is code to prevent and rectify it. It's to do with the way the browser takes you to a specific point in the page, but then that position ends up getting offset by the large items (like images, embeds) being loaded in.

We'll keep an eye on it, but there may not be much more we can do.

Reactions: sbj

sbj

I'm at home right now and using my PC which is connected by LAN (200 mbit/s).
Honestly, I am encountering this problem for a very long time but I never reported it. Thought today I report it finally because it is annoying sometimes. Thanks for looking into it.

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
Is it Firefox like your other bug report? Maybe our workaround is ineffective there.