Not planned Alert when someone REPLIES to your message

Marcus

Currently you can only be alerted when someone either quotes you or replies to the thread. Alert me when someone REPLIES to my message even without quoting it.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
It already does that. If one selects "reply" from the actual post, it's quoted, therefore, a notification is generated if selected. I don't think they've created AI software that's clairvoyant which can determine the actual post by using the "quick reply" though.

I honestly don't think it's possible to know if someone is replying to your specific post, unless it is quoted. Therefore, I highly doubt that an alert could be created for this.

You could do it by temporarily storing the post id of the post where you clicked "reply" and then even if you remove the quote, still send an alert to the author of that post. But, there is a big caveat. If I click reply in a post, then remove the quote, maybe I am no longer replying to that post, I changed my message to be more general. All in all, I think it works well how it is.

I assume that this software does track which post I reply to. It is so basic to do that. It's used in threaded view.

I think vbulletin does that.

Okay, guess which post I'm replying to here.... hahaha that made me laugh!

That's what they're saying. There's no way to know, without being psychic.

When you write a message, usually these elements are stored in database:
- the message itself
- the thread the message is linked to ("threadid")
- and the post the message is linked to ("postid") (optional, this is needed for my suggestion)

Is it of interest for you to know that someone replied to your post?

And if someone uses the wrong "reply" button when replying to a post? Often times, I'll click reply with a quote, change my mind, remove the quote, and add something that responds to the thread in general.

The idea just adds more overhead that isn't needed.

I don't know how on earth it could be done, unless there was a reply-without-quoting option. But you'd have to let the software know somehow that you were replying to that specific post - otherwise how would you expect it to know? You'd need some kind of futuristic sci-fi software that could guess who you were replying to by the tone of your post, or based on your speech patterns towards certain posters, or by reading Tarot cards... it can't be done. Nobody does it.

I participate in the Compuserve/Netscape forums. They are not threaded. They are not even based on threading technology. But they are able to track who a message is written to. And I get an email with a link whenever someone replies to one of my messages. As for how technically difficult this is, it looks pretty simple to me. If xenoforo knows which message to quote when you press the reply button, it is not a big leap to also know the message number and who wrote that message.

Personally, I think it's worth considering.

I participate in the Compuserve/Netscape forums. They are not threaded. They are not even based on threading technology. But they are able to track who a message is written to. And I get an email with a link whenever someone replies to one of my messages. As for how technically difficult this is, it looks pretty simple to me. If xenoforo knows which message to quote when you press the reply button, it is not a big leap to also know the message number and who wrote that message.

Personally, I think it's worth considering.

You aren't talking about the same thing as Marcus, I don't think. Either that or I misunderstood him. Of course there's a way to track who responded to you and what post they responded to if they're clicking something in your post - reply, quote, whatever.

But there is no way for any software to guess who you're responding to if you just read a post and then reply to it. No clicking of anything - you read a post, and you reply.

Like...

Post #1: I like candy.
Post #2. I like candy too.

You type out "Hmmm yeah, I like candy" and hit "post reply."

You're replying to a post, but there isn't any way on God's earth for the software to guess which one. See what I mean?

Top Bottom