1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Interest Alert when someone quotes a post you like

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by James, Aug 20, 2010.

1. James

James Well-Known Member

I'm just wondering, if you like a post do you think that you should be alerted when someone quotes it (just like the post creator)? I feel if you like a post it's because you agree with it, feel it's a nice argument or some other reason. If someone quotes it then they intend to disagree/agree with it and provide a reason why - if you like that post you probably want to hear this reply.

2. anotheralias

anotheralias Well-Known Member

As a forum owner, do you really want to refine the Alert system to the point where nobody has to bother actually reading the thread?

Brandon_R and Abomination like this.
  3. James

James Well-Known Member

So if you get an alert that someone has replied to a thread? You still read the thread, you just get an alert that someone has replied to a post you liked. Kinda like on Facebook how you get notified when you like someone's status.

4. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want to be alerted for a post I liked... Think of how many times Kier gets liked, and how often he is quoted; he's had things quoted from two weeks ago multiple times today, that would just be spam at that point.

5. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

I don't see the need for this really. Too many alerts will overload the alert system and members will start complaining that they're getting too many alerts.

6. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

alert alert... there's an alert overload!!

Not something I would personally want :) though I can see it's uses.

7. wizzard

wizzard Active Member

You would still have to visit the thread to read what was said. The alert isn't going to give the contents of the post as that would defeat the point of an alert.

8. ankurs

ankurs Well-Known Member

this can be added, but wont this be a overkill ?

9. anotheralias

anotheralias Well-Known Member

True, you'd have to visit the thread, but would most people actually read the thread - or just read the post in question and move on? That's what I'd worry about - that it would turn out to be a thread-killer. Not that I'm lobbying against it - I'm just saying.

10. James

James Well-Known Member

I do think we need to make sure people actually get to read a thread :p

I'm in two minds myself, I just thought I'd brainstorm out loud.

11. KURTZ

KURTZ Well-Known Member

i agree with this.

thumbs up!

12. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

Now this is just overdoing it lol

If the alerts system gets saturated then no one will bother reading them.

Abomination likes this.
  13. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

What about getting an alert when you get an alert? ;)

14. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.