Not planned Alert when someone REPLIES to your message

Marcus

Currently you can only be alerted when someone either quotes you or replies to the thread. Alert me when someone REPLIES to my message even without quoting it.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I think I am talking about the same thing. He even mentioned message id elements that could be stored in the database to track it.

But in order to mark an ID, something else has to happen. I just can't see how you'll know someone replies to your message without quoting it or using the alert to tell you someone posted in a thread. :confused:

The only way I could see that working is if the software could scan my retinas to see what I was looking at before I typed this sentence in response. And I don't that's possible. But then, I'm not a coder.

I participate in the Compuserve/Netscape forums. They are not threaded. They are not even based on threading technology. But they are able to track who a message is written to. And I get an email with a link whenever someone replies to one of my messages. As for how technically difficult this is, it looks pretty simple to me. If xenoforo knows which message to quote when you press the reply button, it is not a big leap to also know the message number and who wrote that message.

Personally, I think it's worth considering.

Technically, it wouldn't be hard to do. But logically, I'm not sure it's a good idea. Since clicking the reply button inserts a quote of that post in the reply box, if someone erases the quote before replying, I don't think it's much of a jump to assume that they decided to add a message to the thread instead of replying to that particular post. Conversely, if they leave the quote in the message, then you do get an alert for it.

If the quote is there, then yes. Otherwise, not. I think this was covered earlier in the thread about scenarios when the quote might not be there.

So... you want a user to click Reply, get taken to the Quick Reply box that loads the quote, remove the quote, type their message, and alerts the user? :confused:

I am completely baffled what is being requested. You want to be notified if someone quotes your post, then deletes what was quoted?

What if someone found it simply easier to do that instead of clicking the 'Home' or 'End' key to get to the Post Reply button, such as when someone is on a mobile device and there is no home or end key to even get to the Post Reply button quickly?

Does what I typed make sense?

Even if want you wanted was implemented, how could I possibly explain that type of convoluted behavior to my non-technical membership?

:confused:

I'm confused too. So you want a not-quoting-you, just-replying-to-you button? Because first of all, it's not going to be the software's fault if people don't click it - which they probably won't.

It sounds to me like some people want the current reply button to become a "Quote" button and a new "Reply" button added.

That way it would be possible to track which messages were direct replies.

If a reply was made in the Quick Reply box then of course it would just be a message added to the thread with no link to a previous message.

It sounds to me like some people want the current reply button to become a "Quote" button and a new "Reply" button added.

That way it would be possible to track which messages were direct replies.

If a reply was made in the Quick Reply box then of course it would just be a message added to the thread with no link to a previous message.

Hopefully they don't, I really like it the way it is at the moment :D

That just seems kind of redundant though.
Redundant in what sense?

The 2 links serve different purposes.
One is to quote the original content, the other is to link the reply to the post.

I didn't make the suggestion, I'm just clarifying what the OP wanted.

Redundant in what sense?

The 2 links serve different purposes.
One is to quote the original content, the other is to link the reply to the post.

I didn't make the suggestion, I'm just clarifying what the OP wanted.

I suppose that is true, but if we're also supposed to get a proper multi-quote system then it just starts to get complicated.

And I know you were, since it seemed we couldn't understand what it is they wanted in the beginning. :p

If people are used to clicking "reply" to quote someone, then they are going to continue clicking "reply" to quote someone - it's just human nature. Granted, you could probably retrain them to understand that by "reply" you're replying to the person without quoting them, but I wouldn't want to have to re-explain that to every new board member.

I mean think about it. "Click quote to quote them, or reply to reply without quoting them so that they know you meant your post for them, or just type into the form to reply without referencing any particular post at all."

Most people's heads would be spinning before you even got to "reply without quoting them." And really, it's a convenience for you - not them. So what's the motivating factor/behavior-reinforcing element for anyone? (And I don't intend for this to sound crabby, there just isn't any kind of a mitigating emoticon that fits here.)

Basically, wouldn't it be easier all around if you just read the entire thread and found out who directed a comment at you that way?

Well AVForums for example uses quote, reply and quick reply.

Can't say I've ever had any problems using their system, or adapting to this one where reply means quote.
If anything, the system in use here is at odds with other forums as the "Reply" link should actually be renamed "Quote".

Top Bottom