Alert Improvements by Xon

Alert Improvements by Xon 2.10.13

No permission to download
I had this all configured nicely on a ahem much older version. After the update I'm struggling to stop the alerts popup from marking alerts as read.

Is there an admin setting I might be missing? Config below, but still marking replies to watched forum as read on opening the popup from the home page.

SmartSelect_20230910_102008_Chrome.webp

SmartSelect_20230910_102020_Chrome.webp

I had this all configured nicely on a ahem much older version. After the update I'm struggling to stop the alerts popup from marking alerts as read.

Is there an admin setting I might be missing? Config below, but still marking replies to watched forum as read on opening the popup from the home page.
I have my default new user registration settings set to: "Never mark alerts as read" and the same in my personal settings. When opening the pop-up alerts, items only get marked read when the content is viewed, NOT just from opening the dialog.

I have my default new user registration settings set to: "Never mark alerts as read" and the same in my personal settings. When opening the pop-up alerts, items only get marked read when the content is viewed, NOT just from opening the dialog.

Aha the personal settings on that account had gone back to mark as read.

However I do get the issue ge66 mentioned

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20230910_173341_Chrome.webp
    SmartSelect_20230910_173341_Chrome.webp
    15.8 KB · Views: 8
If you could be more specific. I haven't noticed any issues....
It is when I use "Use per-alert configuration" and try to set it up different under my own /account/preferences it doesn´t save my changes.

And as @expanserpb says it seems as everything is auto-read despite not any auto-read boxes are checked.

If I set it to "Never mark alerts as read" it works but then users can´t set different handling of the different alerts.

And when I just tested it didn´t save checked boxes for auto-read when using "Never mark alerts as read" either.

I'm wondering if the migration code got broken.

@ge66 @expanserpb Can you output the results of this SQL query?
SQL:
select sv_alert_pref, sv_alerts_popup_read_behavior
from xf_user_option
where user_id = MYUSERID

Replace MYUSERID with your user id

I'm wondering if the migration code got broken.

@ge66 @expanserpb Can you output the results of this SQL query?
SQL:
from xf_user_option
where user_id = MYUSERID

Replace MYUSERID with your user id

+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------------------+
| sv_alert_pref | sv_alerts_popup_read_behavior |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------------------+
| {"alert":{"post":{"reaction":false}},"autoRead":{"post":{"forumwatch_insert":false,"quote":false,"mention":false}}} | PerUser |

It is when I use "Use per-alert configuration" and try to set it up different under my own /account/preferences it doesn´t save my changes.

And as @expanserpb says it seems as everything is auto-read despite not any auto-read boxes are checked.

If I set it to "Never mark alerts as read" it works but then users can´t set different handling of the different alerts.

And when I just tested it didn´t save checked boxes for auto-read when using "Never mark alerts as read" either.
There was a bug where the "Pop-up auto-read" wasn't being respected but it absolutely would save the value.

If the option is resetting or not saving, then please open a ticket on my site as I would need to have access to inspect what is happening.

Post update

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I would have expected to see a page-load after clicking save, does refreshing the page help? I've been unable to reproduce that.

@Xon

Small thing, though a bit confusing for members. Looks like there should be an "and" between 3 of your posts and 1 of your conversation message :)

1694548898122.webp

@Xon

Looks like a small bug here.

I have Alerts page skips summarizing unchecked in ACP > Options > User registration (customized phrases in the image below).

1694717920968.webp

Registered a new user for testing and the option was enabled by default.

1694718156610.webp

I have just installed 2.10.9

I have a question.

Should
"Settings by notification category: When someone…"
with all choices always be seen?
I understand if it is seen when you choose "Use per-alert configuration"
But not sure if it does anything if you choose "Always mark alerts as read" or "Never mark alerts as read" under "Alert pop-up options" in your account preferences?

I still think it is a problem with the checkbox for "Pop-up auto-read". "Alert" and "Push" is working and can be changed and saved but if I try to put a checkmark in "Pop-up auto-read" and then "Save" the checkmark disapears.

Should
"Settings by notification category: When someone…"
with all choices always be seen?
I understand if it is seen when you choose "Use per-alert configuration"
But not sure if it does anything if you choose "Always mark alerts as read" or "Never mark alerts as read" under "Alert pop-up options" in your account preferences?
The Alerting preferences does a few things;
  • Configure which alerts are allowed
  • Configure which push notifications are allowed
  • If NixFifty's Discord integration is installed, configure which discord push notifications are allowed
  • Configure per-alert "alert pop-up marks as read" behavior.
The "Alert pop-up options" just configures global options for the "alert pop-up marks as read" behavior.

This weird split an artifice of older design choices, and I'm a little unsure how to improve this with XF's UI design choices.

I still think it is a problem with the checkbox for "Pop-up auto-read". "Alert" and "Push" is working and can be changed and saved but if I try to put a checkmark in "Pop-up auto-read" and then "Save" the checkmark disapears.
Troubleshooting this is tricky as there are a few factors which influence how the preference saving works.

I really need the output of this SQL to troubleshoot your case more:
SQL:
from xf_user_option
where user_id = MYUSERID
You can either post it here or send it to me via a conversation.

Top Bottom