As designed Alert Disappeared

Daniel Hood

On this site, I just had an alert but when I moused over it nothing was there. It could have possibly been a like -> unlike thing, but it could be some sort of bug. If you want to look in the database for my most recent alert there might be something.

It definitely didn't expire, I had one from before it showing, and I've gotten a couple since then, now. I thought the model was supposed to remove alerts in a like/unlike situation.

It does. But the alert count is cached in xf_user.

I don't think that is retrospectively corrected if an alert is removed.

oh ok. I didn't realize they cached it, I figured this line from the alert datawriter was supposed to correct it:

Code:
$this->_db->query('
                UPDATE xf_user SET
                    alerts_unread = IF(alerts_unread > 0, alerts_unread - 1, 0)
                WHERE user_id = ?
            ', $this->get('alerted_user_id'));

One scenario this can happen, I think, is if an alert hasn't been deleted, but you're no longer allowed to see it.

That could be that the post has gone into moderation, been soft deleted, been moved to a forum you don't have permission to view etc.

The AlertHandler deals with that:

PHP:
    /**
    * Determines if the post is viewable.
    * @see XenForo_AlertHandler_Abstract::canViewAlert()
    */
    public function canViewAlert(array $alert, $content, array $viewingUser)
    {
        return $this->_getPostModel()->canViewPostAndContainer(
            $content, $content, $content, $null, $content['permissions'], $viewingUser
        );
    }

So, yeah, it's more likely something like that. That happens on the fly as the alerts are fetched:

PHP:
        foreach ($alerts AS $key => $alert)
        {
            $handler = $this->_getAlertHandlerFromCache($alert['content_type']);
            if (!$handler || !$handler->canViewAlert($alert, $alert['content'], $viewingUser))
            {
                unset($alerts[$key]);
            }
        }

That would leave the user's alert count at an incorrect value.

Seems like a possibility; that would have had to have happened super quick though as I was browsing the forums at the time and feel I noticed nearly instantly. Probably not a bug, leaning towards the count was cached which makes that line I posted earlier semi-useless.

Top Bottom