MG 1.1 After upgrading my custom template modification is gone!

imthebest

When I was on MG 1.1.0 I created a template modification in the template "member_card" (additional to the 2 that come as stock). I have just upgraded to 1.1.1 and noticed that my template modification is gone! IIRC, during an upgrade the system will overwrite the stock template modifications of the add-on however I'm not sure if it is also normal to have those extra template modifications deleted.

Last edited:
I would have expected it to warn you and give you the option to merge the changes (assuming the gallery templates are treated the same way as the core forum templates?).

Ooops, sorry, I misunderstood ... I took 'template modification' to mean you'd edited a template - completely forgetting about the actual template modification system. :oops: :)

Any template modifications you create should be linked to your own custom add-on, not the existing add-on.

Otherwise they will be removed when upgrading.

You tagged your template modification as being part of the add-on. It is totally expected that it is removed when you upgraded the add-on. You can't modify parts of an add-on and expect it to persist an upgrade to the add-on. There's a very good reason why you can only do this in debug mode.

If you really want to do this via a template modification, don't apply it to an add-on (or create your own add-on to contain your changes).

If you really want to do this via a template modification, don't apply it to an add-on (or create your own add-on to contain your changes).

Since I don't know how to create add-ons, I'm currently deciding between these two places at admin.php?template-modifications/add:

Add-on: (blank)
Add-on: XenForo

I guess that if I choose XenForo then my custom template modification is also going to get lost after I upgrade XenForo, right? So at the end I should leave the "Add-on" field untouched (i.e. blank), right?

I guess that if I choose XenForo then my custom template modification is also going to get lost after I upgrade XenForo, right? So at the end I should leave the "Add-on" field untouched (i.e. blank), right?
Right. But, seriously, just edit the template directly. With the frequency we actually change the member card template I can't even envisage you'd ever be in a situation where it becomes outdated.

Well, here is my problem.

On XenForo, at the template member_card I have changed the following (on the template itself, no template modifications here):

Find:
Code:
<a href="{xen:link members, $user}">{xen:phrase profile_page}</a>
Replace with:
Code:
<a href="{xen:link search/member, '', 'user_id={$user.user_id}', 'content=thread'}" rel="nofollow">Threads</a>

Since the Media Gallery have a template modification against member_card with the following config:

Find:
Code:
Replace with:
Code:
$0
<xen:include template="xengallery_member_card_links" />

I need it to look for my custom:
Code:
<a href="{xen:link search/member, '', 'user_id={$user.user_id}', 'content=thread'}" rel="nofollow">Threads</a>

Instead of the stock:
Code:

This is why I need to use a template modification. And I need to use a custom one because if I edit your own then with every MG upgrade I'll lose the changes.

Is there an easier way to achieve what I'm looking for?

Last edited:
Top Bottom