XF 1.5 Advice on forum Email Address setup

ibaker

Hi
I have been using my own email address on my site and it seems every time a spammer gets through I tend to get more spam in my spam folder so I am asking for advice on which is the best way to set my forum email up.

Things to note:
1. I have my own dedicated server so I can do what I like and includes smtp email capabilty
2. I have my forums on Forum-domain.com
3. I have my personal email on Personal-domain.com
4. I have grandfather rights to the free Google Apps so my Personal-domain.com email is handled by Gmail with my Personal-domain.com address - I use Gmail on my PC, Phone, Tablet and as the domain for my family email addresses
5. I want to setup the XF feature of automatic bounce email handling
6. I am changing my personal email address of xyz@Personal-domain.com that I have been using on my XF site, and is the only email address I will monitor, to a completely new fresh one to get rid of the existing spam

What I was thinking and need advice on whether this would be the best/right way is:
1. Set up a no-reply@Forum-domain.com email address (server smtp) with an auto reply saying this email address is not valid.
2. Enter the no-reply address into the "Default Email Address" in the Email Options of my site. I am assuming that registration verification, thread notifications etc would use this email address
3. Enter my new personal email address into the "Contact Email Address" in the Email Options of my site. I am assuming that "Contact Us" emails would come to this personal email address
4. Set up a bounce@Forum-domain.com email address (server smtp) and use that for the XF bounce email address feature

Any advice is greatly appreciated...thanks

Any advice is greatly appreciated...thanks
I'm in almost the exact scenario - dedicated server, domain email with grandfather g apps.
I have <contact>@domain.com for both Default Email Address and Contact Email Address, which is a mailbox I use/monitor.
<bounces>@domain.com for my Bounced Email Address which I have for automated bounced email handler (except it doesn't work if you're using Amazon SES as your mail delivery service).

Have very little problem with spam to my <contact>@domain.com mailbox. Likely because g apps is so good at handling and filtering it out.

with an auto reply saying this email address is not valid.
If going with this approach, ensure the content of the auto-reply tells them what email address to use instead. And be prepared that it will put some people off, and you'll not hear from them. (Eg. password reset emails, where they reply and say it's still not working etc.)

Have very little problem with spam to my <contact>@domain.com mailbox. Likely because g apps is so good at handling and filtering it out.
However Google removed the ability of spam filtering to those that have google apps grandfather rights...probably to try to get those with free google apps to switch over to the paid one.

I think the increase of spam has come about with spammers trying to register in my forums and then grabbing the email address I was using, my personal one, from the registration confirmation or email they received

Top Bottom