Advanced Quote/Reply Essentials

Advanced Quote/Reply Essentials [Paid] v1.2.0

No permission to buy ($5.00)
@Wutime I have found one bug, If thread have only one post then Member still can use Quote/Reply in first post. When make 2nd post then Quote/Reply will be Hide on first post. Please can you fix this issue?

ScreenShot00057.webp

Please can you add option Hide Quote/Reply In First And Last Posts?
Ok, I need to ask. I see this feature in other addons, but I don't understand what's the value. The last post is typically where someone reads and decides to reply, so why would you hide the reply button? And why even bother hiding for the first post. I see this repeated in other addons, so what am I missing?

I find the built in reply environment very confusing. It's a case study in confusing your users.

This addon solves that. Thank you Wutime.

1. The addon as it is right now gets the job done. Thank you. But, its confusing. I had to play with basically every option to get what I want. The labeling is confusing for me, could be I'm too new to XF to know better. "New post reply" vs "Default post reply". I don't understand the differences here. I got what I want, but today as I look again at what I did yesterday, I still don't understand why certain choices do what they do. The descriptions could be better.

2. This is more a suggestion on approach if you ever break open the code for an overhaul.

Give us the choice of setting 2 modes. Beginner poster mode, and advance poster mode choices. And then allow the admin to promote users to advance poster mode.

I don't want beginner users to ever have to worry about: a) +quote. Just remove for newbies. b) append vs clear. just always clear. c) never never accidentally quote full text. d) force users to do 'highlight text and reply' to quote any text at all.

Then when they graduate to power user, promote them to advance mode with more options like multi quote.

Ok, I need to ask. I see this feature in other addons, but I don't understand what's the value. The last post is typically where someone reads and decides to reply, so why would you hide the reply button? And why even bother hiding for the first post. I see this repeated in other addons, so what am I missing?
Default just means the "default XF behaviour"

As for why, a lot of forum owners want to reduce the number of "quotes" appearing in discussions, hence why if there's only one post, or you're replying to the last post, they want to remove the reply button, which automatically always quotes, the last post in a discussion.

Yup. I make template edits to remove the reply option in last post of threads. Now considering using this instead. Just confused with the options available 😂.

to reduce the number of "quotes" appearing in discussions
Maybe I'm too use to my very long single thread forum, but problem of accidental full quotes is ever present, no?

I don't see the psychology of how just the first and last post exacerbate the accidents anymore than all the in-between posts. Well, it's a minor thing, but I saw it enough that I was curious.
Default just means the "default XF behaviour"
The simplicity of the answer doesn't clarify. So that means the top options insert a new button?... and the bottom options manipulate the default button?

... a few minutes later...

ok, I get it after looking at the options again. Please understand this is totally unclear, and adds a lot of confusion because of the overlap in functionality. I don't care if I'm using a built in button or your button. And, I can see now that I could actually have two reply buttons, which itself strikes me odd... I assume everybody just wants one reply button, and no full quotes ever.

My suggestion is to change the name of the top button to "Reply Button with @" and remove the option to even add quotes.
And change the name of the bottom to "Reply Button with quotes".

Clear as mud now. Goodluck, thanks for the addon.

Ok, so I found another thing. In normal XF behaivor, when you highlight 5 words, a hover popup appears and you hit reply and those 5 words are quoted.

In this addon, when I uncheck the "Default Post Reply" because I don't want full quotes ever.... that hover link also dissapears. Is there anyway to keep the hover link and completely disable full quote replies totally?

yeah xenforo somehow removes select to quote feature when i hide the reply button using template modifications.

I'm still looking for an addon that disables full quotes once and for all, but still preserves the 'highlight text' to quote feature. It's crazy that this even exists. I have never seen a full quote that was value add.

I don't care if it uses templates, or html hide codes, changes the font color to obfuscate, or a bot that retroactively deletes the full quote inside the text box... whatever the technique even if they break XF's coding rules. All these addons that remove it, do it by the book which then also disables the 'highlight text' feature.

i wonder if it is possible to somehow hide the reply button in latest (and first) post using css. and whether it would fix this issue of select and reply feature getting disabled. reply link does not seem to have any specific class.

I just bought this add-on and it's a winner. Love it. I was unable somehow to rate it. It would not accept my rating.

I love using this with multi quote. It makes a very intuitive interface. Thank you. $5 well spent!

Great add-on!

I have two suggestions:

To avoide the problem with loosing the ability to highlight quote just hide the full quote link in the footer with css, don't remove it from the template.

And can we have another option to have the mention link AND to have a reply link without the full quote? So instead of choosing between "Reply ( without quoting )" and "Reply ( with @mention )" we can choose both and two links will be generated. That would be awesome.

When I enable this, the color if the @mention button doesn't pick up the same CSS as my other buttons. If I leave it as the default "Reply it does. Where/what CSS values do I need to change so it looks the same as the other buttons.

and whether it would fix this issue of select and reply feature getting disabled.
I'm wondering about this too.

I would like to buy this addon, but the only thing I'm looking for is to disable the multiquote and reply (in fact quote) buttons on first and last post, if possible even reply button on every post.
However, when using this, also if you select a line to quote, the quote|reply popup does not show up anymore. I do want to keep that enabled.
But it seems this mod doesn't provide this either, correct?

Top Bottom