Advanced Attachment System (AAS) [Deleted]

Does 2.3.0 implement the approach we discussed for duplicate attachments to create a second usage entry but store only a single data reference. I.e. an attachment can be loaded in several different posts and will appear as an attachment in all of them, but only store the single instance and usage count, etc.

If so, I will go ahead and buy it. We have been very busy setting up our new site and I did not want to take the time unless it was ready.

Hello mate, pre-sale question:

The addon offer the hability to put as attachment a file (image, for example) pasted from external website to a post ?

Nowadays if a copy a file from another site and paste it, it will show the image but it will be a

I did not get an answer to my previous question, but decided to purchase the add on anyway.

What does this message mean in the shopping cart screen?
Before uploading the files, disable the add-on for updating!!!

If I have not installed it, how can I disable it?

OK. I did not get an answer to the above inquiry, so I decided that it meant to install the XML file and then disable it for updating. Clearly that is not the case since the XML file errors out if the files have not been uploaded.

What are the instructions for installation. Is that strange message only for those who are upgrading from a previous version?

Please reply since I am stuck now in the middle of this process.

It means that if you already installed older version, you disable addon then upgrade addon, and after upgrading you enable it agian.
If you just install addon for first time, than you just install it like normal procedure.

Thank you. I got it installed. Now we only need to understand it.

Can someone explain how the multiple uses of the same attachment are stored in the database? I think I may need to write a mass update query to eliminate the 10,000 or so duplicate attachments currently there. I will also need an app to remove the duplicate files in the attachment file system.

i got around today to testing this add on with the very simple upload attachment function. It produced a permission error that may mean it needs more setup which may or may not be a problem since I am new to XenForo and certainly AAS, however, there was no way to dismiss the error message and I am pretty sure that must be a bug.

upload_2017-5-28_17-42-36.webp

@au lait This addon doesn't support CJK characters? my forum name is chinese, i set the watermark Text just a {forum}, but the watermark displayed a invalid character.

I have been exercising this addon/product to see how it handles the duplicate attachment issue. As far as I can tell, it does not handle it at all. If I upload several copies of an image they all get uploaded and each has entries both in the attachment and the attachment_data tables. If I open the My Attachments tool, the attachments do not get inserted as references, but instead are just held as the attachment reference inside IMG tags. That means none of my attachment settings apply to them.

Am I misunderstanding something? I thought this would eliminate duplicates, but it does not seem to do so.

Is it possible to add a camera icon to the upload buttons in the editor window? The system doesn't seem to parse html or bb codes in those phrases, but does parse them in some other phrases. I'd like to see something like this:
NAWCCbuttons.webp

Last edited:
I have looked more closely at what you are doing with duplicate attachments. I do not find the code to create a second post reference to the same xf_attachment_data. You have added an index for the md5 hash, but there needs to be another entry created in the attachment table using the same xf_attachment_data record that was found to be duplicated. The attach_count of the xf_attachment_data needs to be incremented and the new xf_attachment attachment_id used in the target (post or whatever). There will be two (or more) xf_attachment records for such duplicates, but there will be no second file stored with the image.

Without this, the handling of the images the second or more times they are used on the site get changed either to links or IMG references, which are inherently ugly if one has standardized on the handling of attachments and their display (which we have done).

When this is working properly, I will write a batch or cron job that will perform the above described process on all the existing duplicate attachments in our system. In the meantime, I will turn off the prevent duplicate feature until this is fixed.

Of course if this behavior is already what is used in XF2, someone please tell me and save me a lot of work.

It has been over a month now and I have users testing our site for features and usability. I have not received a response to my question about duplicate attachments.

The current system prevents duplicate attachments from being inserted in a post. I believe that behavior is an error. There is no reason an image should not be re-used, but it should not be stored twice in the system. Each instance should generate a new reference entry for the image.

If you are working on this, I won't make plans to do it myself. However, it is a critically important feature for our forums. Most of our content is discussion of artifacts and those discussions need pictures of the artifacts to support the discussion. A given image might be discussed in 5 or 6 different contexts depending on what features are being discussed.

@au lait I will be very happy to test it. Does it create a second attachment table entry for the pre-existing attachment_data table entry? That is what @Xon does in his attachment improvements addon to allow explicit attachment re-use.

Reactions: Xon
With au laits add-on you can also reuse uploaded attachments - its a option in his addon since long time. ;)

Top Bottom