Implemented Adopt "No CAPTCHA reCAPTCHA" API from Google

Coop1979

Upvote 4
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Would also like to see this, as some of the ReCaptcha images can be quite complicated for some people.

Just to let you all know, we are currently testing No CAPTCHA reCAPTCHA here. Feel free to test it, but for obvious reasons please don't necessarily complete registrations. We use a custom contact form so registration is currently the only way to see it in action here.

Just to let you all know, we are currently testing No CAPTCHA reCAPTCHA here. Feel free to test it, but for obvious reasons please don't necessarily complete registrations. We use a custom contact form so registration is currently the only way to see it in action here.
You can check on the lost password page as well.
Tested it a couple of times, nice and easy to use (y)

So easy. Its nice.

It makes me want to switch back to Google's Captcha.

I just wonder how long it will be before bots can bypass it as well.

Apparently if it thinks you aren't human it makes you do extra things to verify like have to pick an image, etc.

By default the extra challenge is the old fashioned text CAPTCHA. But on mobile it is more likely to give you something easier to do on a mobile such as pick images.

It's the same on my iPhone 6 Plus.

I do wonder what their criteria is for making the captcha more mobile friendly, e.g. if its screen size and it's a large phone, they may find it acceptable to show the text one and I can't say it's particularly unwieldy on a mobile.

If they're doing it based on user agent or some other criteria, then they may just get better at that over time.

There's sadly not a lot we can do about that.

Google is currently keeping the styling side of things under their control so one would hope that eventually they move from fixed width to at least some sort of % width, or even better give their users the control to style it as they wish.

Naturally this CAPTCHA is just an additional option, rather than a replacement for anything. The old reCAPTCHA is still available and default.

Some of the other CAPTCHAs may have similar display issues.

View attachment 91005
iPhone 4s and it breaks out of the responsive view
There's sadly not a lot we can do about that.

Google is currently keeping the styling side of things under their control so one would hope that eventually they move from fixed width to at least some sort of % width, or even better give their users the control to style it as they wish.

Naturally this CAPTCHA is just an additional option, rather than a replacement for anything. The old reCAPTCHA is still available and default.

Some of the other CAPTCHAs may have similar display issues.

The whole extra verification thing always trigger on a phone?

Going ok, I think.

@Mike created the API keys so I believe he gets a few stats on how many times the CAPTCHA has been served and how many failed attempts there were. There were no similar stats for the old version of reCAPTCHA, though, so those stats are going to be of limited use in telling us whether it's friendlier or not.

Currently the code is in XenForo 1.4.4 so it should be available to all in the next release.

Top Bottom