Browser issue Admin Style mess-up

bart

After upgrading to 114 i still get these errors. This is MSIE-only. MSIE 7 (and maybe others)

This is the page of outdated templates. All looks well

Image5.webp
But when i scroll down a bit, you see the header "OA" (name of a style) doesn't scroll down with the rest. Instead there is an open space between the "public" and the "footer" template. OA remaines in the same spot, whatever i do.

Image6.webp

Somthing similar happens on the node-tree. You see how the last column doesn't stay in the viewport.

Image7.webp

These are generally just IE bugs - on the whole, I would probably say that we simply won't work on making the admin area anything but "usable" on older than IE8. (I would expect dropping all support for browsers older than IE8 in the future TBH.)

Is it really that much work? IE is still 40% of my visitors and 15% of those are on 7 or lower. looking at the wordl that's way too many customers to lose.

Is it really that much work? IE is still 40% of my visitors and 15% of those are on 7 or lower. looking at the wordl that's way too many customers to lose.
You won't find many people supporting any website below IE8. The only reason IE8 is still tolerated is because there's still a surprising amount of people using Windows XP and that's the highest version of IE they can get.

It's unreasonable to expect anyone to support a browser (IE7) that is 7 years old this year. And IE6 is 12 years old this year.

IE8 functions perfectly on the front end. Admins shouldn't be using anything below IE9 and even then should probably still be using something like Chrome or FF for the back end (for security).

There comes a time when you can't support every ancient architecture because users refuse to update for some reason. Seriously, how long are site owners expected to support old, buggy, browsers? The more site owners who flat refuse to cater to the lazy, the quicker IE 6 and 7 becomes just a bad memory.

it is a bit an illusion to think we are going to have any impact on that. The reality is that there are many old browsers out there. And there will be for decades to come. I would like my site to work on everyone of them

But the admin-part is a diferent story. Brogan was right about that.

maybe we should all agree on something like a text-version for everyone with a browser older then x years or a computer with a floppy-drive.

Didn't look right. That was from june 2011. Two years ago. :whistle:

And indeed, I don't use IE for google-apps anymore on my laptop. Chrome still works fine.

it is a bit an illusion to think we are going to have any impact on that. The reality is that there are many old browsers out there. And there will be for decades to come. I would like my site to work on everyone of them
An unrealistic expectation in my opinion. But you're welcome to take up that full-time job. ;)

Fortunately, XenForo follows HTML standards and is not a super heavy "AJAX Web App" so it should remain usable in other browsers -- if somewhat ugly in visuals -- for a long time.

Btw I abandoned Firefox for Chrome. Even though it's a sadly bare bones browser, it has great performance and doesn't hang all the time like the Firefox 7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17/whatever madness which gets worse with each release.

Top Bottom