1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Browser Issue Admin Style mess-up

Discussion in 'Resolved Bug Reports' started by bart, Mar 26, 2013.

1. bart

bart Active Member

After upgrading to 114 i still get these errors. This is MSIE-only. MSIE 7 (and maybe others)

This is the page of outdated templates. All looks well

But when i scroll down a bit, you see the header "OA" (name of a style) doesn't scroll down with the rest. Instead there is an open space between the "public" and the "footer" template. OA remaines in the same spot, whatever i do.

Somthing similar happens on the node-tree. You see how the last column doesn't stay in the viewport.

btfstone likes this.
  2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

These are generally just IE bugs - on the whole, I would probably say that we simply won't work on making the admin area anything but "usable" on older than IE8. (I would expect dropping all support for browsers older than IE8 in the future TBH.)
  3. bart

bart Active Member

Is it really that much work? IE is still 40% of my visitors and 15% of those are on 7 or lower. looking at the wordl that's way too many customers to lose.
  4. tyteen4a03

tyteen4a03 Well-Known Member

Or do the right thing and guide them to Chrome/FF. :)
  5. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Surely your customers aren't all logging in to the ACP?
    Chris D likes this.
  6. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

You won't find many people supporting any website below IE8. The only reason IE8 is still tolerated is because there's still a surprising amount of people using Windows XP and that's the highest version of IE they can get.

It's unreasonable to expect anyone to support a browser (IE7) that is 7 years old this year. And IE6 is 12 years old this year.

IE8 functions perfectly on the front end. Admins shouldn't be using anything below IE9 and even then should probably still be using something like Chrome or FF for the back end (for security).
    Biker and Brogan like this.
  7. bart

bart Active Member

Touché. :D

But if you get it to work in the frontend, then why not in the backend.

But okay okay, I'll live with it.
  8. feldon30

feldon30 Well-Known Member

Ingenious likes this.
  9. bart

bart Active Member

10. Biker

Biker Well-Known Member

There comes a time when you can't support every ancient architecture because users refuse to update for some reason. Seriously, how long are site owners expected to support old, buggy, browsers? The more site owners who flat refuse to cater to the lazy, the quicker IE 6 and 7 becomes just a bad memory.
    Ingenious and Chris D like this.
  11. bart

bart Active Member

it is a bit an illusion to think we are going to have any impact on that. The reality is that there are many old browsers out there. And there will be for decades to come. I would like my site to work on everyone of them

But the admin-part is a diferent story. Brogan was right about that.
  12. Chris D

That's going to keep you VERY busy (y)
  13. bart

bart Active Member

maybe we should all agree on something like a text-version for everyone with a browser older then x years or a computer with a floppy-drive.
  14. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

15. bart

bart Active Member

Wow, is google reading this thread? We are making a difference!
  16. Chris D

17. bart

bart Active Member

Didn't look right. That was from june 2011. Two years ago. :whistle:

And indeed, I don't use IE for google-apps anymore on my laptop. Chrome still works fine.
  18. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

19. feldon30

feldon30 Well-Known Member

An unrealistic expectation in my opinion. But you're welcome to take up that full-time job. ;)

Fortunately, XenForo follows HTML standards and is not a super heavy "AJAX Web App" so it should remain usable in other browsers -- if somewhat ugly in visuals -- for a long time.

Btw I abandoned Firefox for Chrome. Even though it's a sadly bare bones browser, it has great performance and doesn't hang all the time like the Firefox 7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17/whatever madness which gets worse with each release.
  20. MrYTB

MrYTB New Member

I have cute admin control panel :D