Lack of interest admin access to all private conversation

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

ŽivaAkcija

so can this option be enabled on default, access to every private conversation, when user start private conversation with other no admin user, admin gives alert about it.Big Brother option.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
This is a big No Thank You from me.

Personal conversations are private and that's how they should remain. I don't want to spy on my members and I don't want them to think that I can do so easily (yes you can dig in the database but that takes a bit of effort). If there's an issue, conversations can be reported.

I really hope that the developers say no to this as a core feature, IMO it doesn't belong in XenForo.

This is a big No Thank You from me.

Personal conversations are private and that's how they should remain. I don't want to spy on my members and I don't want them to think that I can do so easily (yes you can dig in the database but that takes a bit of effort).

I really hope that the developers say no to this as a core feature, IMO it doesn't belong in XenForo.
i dont know why the mods that do allow this still hosted in this site, it should be removed imo

If you mean my comment, members are perfectly entitled to disagree with suggestions with reasonable arguments, that's how the suggestions forum works.
He doesn't mean your comment, pretty sure he means the add-ons that are hosted here that allow admins to read private conversations should be removed. :)

i dont know why the mods that do allow this still hosted in this site, it should be removed imo

This is a naive view to take. You may not agree with admins that make it easy for themselves to read private conversations, but it's silly to suggest that it be made impossible or hinder the ability for an admin to be able to read private conversations at all.

The contents of private conversations are messages that have been communicated among users on your site, data that is stored in your database and on your webserver.

I don't agree with the suggestion proposed in this thread, there's no need for this to be core, but there's are tons of perfectly viable use cases where it an admin may want or need to access this data after the fact.

To sort out internal site disputes or to aid with a law enforcement investigation are the obvious ones.

The data and content of these conversations is stored on the admins server. They are responsible for the contents of that server and what it's used for, and they can access it. Unless there's some sort of end to end user encryption systems between users of the site that's developed, the data will always be relatively easily available to the admin anyway, as Martok already pointed out. So what's wrong with add-ons making it slightly easier to access when those situations arise?

You think any other interactive sites you frequent don't have the ability to read every word you submit to their system?

PS. Your site is really nice King! Some really cool touches and design elements :)

I'd rather this wasn't a default option. If its default some people see it as "well if it's an option it's ok" it absolutely isn't. I realise you have a responsibility to moderate content but private conversations shouldn't be accessible to anyone other than the part(ies) (y) they were made accessible to. If your issue is a spam one, prevent PM/PC access via usergroup promotions. I don't believe the easy browsing of another user(s) PC to be an acceptable use of default permissions. If you want it, install the addon and add it to your T&C's.

I don't agree with the suggestion proposed in this thread, there's no need for this to be core, but there's are tons of perfectly viable use cases where it an admin may want or need to access this data after the fact.

To sort out internal site disputes or to aid with a law enforcement investigation are the obvious ones.

If they seek the content of a PM they need to ask one of the two parties involved, not you. If they want it anyway, your moral obligation is to delete them.

Private conversations are a way to share thoughts, if thoughts can no longer be free...

Top Bottom