[AddonsLab] Unread Post Count

[AddonsLab] Unread Post Count 1.6.0

No permission to download
AddonsLab updated [AddonsLab] Unread Post Count with a new update entry:

Bug-fix unread post count missing immediately after login

This release fixes a bug that caused the unread post count badge not to be shown immediately after login. The issue was caused by storing cached information in the session which would reset with every logout/login. Now the cache is stored in the registry and is rebuilt only once per user and when the cache expires for the given user.

Read the rest of this update entry...

I updated but there's a few issues.

When I went to my homepage (I'm already logged in), it didn't show any new post number. Once I clicked into the forums, only then did it show the number.

Also, after viewing all the latest posts, I clicked to go back to the main forum page, and it still shows "1" for the value even though there's nothing new. I had to wait a bit before it finally disappeared.

I did not have issues with the previous versions.

When I went to my homepage (I'm already logged in), it didn't show any new post number. Once I clicked into the forums, only then did it show the number.

Also, after viewing all the latest posts, I clicked to go back to the main forum page, and it still shows "1" for the value even though there's nothing new. I had to wait a bit before it finally disappeared.

Same issue here. Everything worked perfectly before the upgrade, but now I have to refresh the page manually to show any new post number, and after reading posts, nothing happens to the value of the unread posts.

Can we get a fix, or is it possible to downgrade to the former working version? @AddonsLab

Bug-fix: marking a post as read does not update the cache of unread posts

Due to migration to a new caching strategy, a bug was introduced that would not change unread post count badge when the user reads an unread post.

Please note, that the product has an option Unread Post Count Cache (Minutes) in the option group Threads, discussions and conversations which defines how long unread post counts should be cached. If caching is not desired, and you want your users to always immediately see the number of unread posts, just set this...

Hello everyone!

There was indeed a bug with changing badge counter when a post is marked as read, and it is fixed now. As mentioned in the release, feel free to simply disable the cache if it is unneeded for your board.

Thank you!

I'm getting this too on v1.4.4 and XF 2.2.8 Patch 1.

Also, I've added a custom navigation menu link that members can click to view new posts, and I disabled "What's New". But I noticed this broke the add-on (it worked good before, except for the count not displayed right away if already logged on and visiting the forum).

How can I display the count with my custom menu? Thanks!

The Unread Post Count does not work correctly for me on forums where:
  • "View threads by others" = No, and
  • "Include threads from this forum when users click "New posts"" = Yes.
The new posts that a person can see correctly appear in "What's new", and posts that they do not have permission to see do not appear. However, "Unread Post Count" counts every unread post in that thread even if the user does not have permission to view the post.

For instance, a user may have a displayed unread post count of 5, but only have 2 new posts they can read - or even no new posts.

If the user selects "Mark all forums read", the number resets to 0.

How can I get the Unread Post Count to only count the posts that a user can actually read in such forums?

Node permission support

The release implements support for node permissions View threads by others and View thread content. Users not having these permissions for a particular node will not see the posts in that node as unread.

In this release, we have also solved the issue with the unread counter being empty on the first page load due to a missing cache.

The release has breaking changes in its code, so if you are using the product in any way other than the officially suggested callback...

I'm getting this too on v1.4.4 and XF 2.2.8 Patch 1.

Also, I've added a custom navigation menu link that members can click to view new posts, and I disabled "What's New". But I noticed this broke the add-on (it worked good before, except for the count not displayed right away if already logged on and visiting the forum).

How can I display the count with my custom menu? Thanks!

Please let us know how exactly it broke the add-on. Generally, you should just make sure the callback is correctly specified for the navigation settings: AL\UnreadPostCount\Callback::getUnreadPostCount.

The Unread Post Count does not work correctly for me on forums where:
  • "View threads by others" = No, and
  • "Include threads from this forum when users click "New posts"" = Yes.
The new posts that a person can see correctly appear in "What's new", and posts that they do not have permission to see do not appear. However, "Unread Post Count" counts every unread post in that thread even if the user does not have permission to view the post.

For instance, a user may have a displayed unread post count of 5, but only have 2 new posts they can read - or even no new posts.

If the user selects "Mark all forums read", the number resets to 0.

How can I get the Unread Post Count to only count the posts that a user can actually read in such forums?

The issue is fixed now. Please check it with the latest release.

Thank you!

Please let us know how exactly it broke the add-on. Generally, you should just make sure the callback is correctly specified for the navigation settings: AL\UnreadPostCount\Callback::getUnreadPostCount.
I added the callback to my custom nav and it now works. Thanks!!

Upgraded to 1.5.0 but when I visited my forum, the unread post indicator still did not show up until I refreshed the page. I also couldn't find the node permissions. :(

Just logged into my forum after many hours and the unread post count did NOT appear until a browser refresh. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. :( Using UI.X Dark style from Themehouse and newest XF.

Just logged into my forum after many hours and the unread post count did NOT appear until a browser refresh. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. :( Using UI.X Dark style from Themehouse and newest XF.

Thank you for the report. This should be fixed in the latest release.

Top Bottom